Buying Lifted 80 - Noise in front end, Need help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From what I have learned (thanks to you guys!), front sway bar needs to be dropped, castor correction might be needed and the rear drive shaft should be rephased. Does this also require the DC driveshaft to be installed and should I look into aftermarket control arms?

Also, it seems like the cause of the grinding noise could be the transfer case instead of driveshaft since it only occurs above 60 mph and varies with throttle input.
Please measure from the center of the axle hub to the bottom of the flares front and rear. Post the measurements info here. That will give everyone an idea of how much lift you have.

Rear shaft is outta phase and both drive shafts look dry. Pump a lil grease in them. Especially seeing how the lift is new, makes the shafts ride in a different spot. Put some grease in the Ujoints too while youre under there. Also check fluid level in the tcase. There is a huge difference between "grinding noise" and a "vibration". And you WILL need some sort of castor correction, not "might need". Welcome to 80 life.... :beer:

I bought an 80 recently and drove it home 2000 miles with the same vibration/grinding at speeds over 60 depending on throttle position. My first thought was worn or bad u-joints on the front driveshaft. Once I got it home, found that a lift was installed and nobody bothered to put sway bar extensions on. Tell me what's wrong with this picture! :oops:

DS.jpg

I bought an 80 recently and drove it home 2000 miles with the same vibration/grinding at speeds over 60 depending on throttle position. My first thought was worn or bad u-joints on the front driveshaft. Once I got it home, found that a lift was installed and nobody bothered to put sway bar extensions on. Tell me what's wrong with this picture! :oops:

View attachment 3314257
Here's the new setup on the front. And the rear has new upper and lower Ironman sway bars as well. Much nicer ride with NO NOISE!!

New Fr.jpg

New Rear.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom