1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying In Dash DVD off of Ebay - Yes, No, Heck No!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by uzj100, Jul 19, 2005.

1. uzj100

uzj100

Guys,

What is the general consensus about buying electronis off of ebay? I am looking at a Kenwwod DDX7017. Crutchfield has it for $1299. However many places on ebay have NIB NEVER OPENED for $929. Am I missing something? Has anyone ordered from the ebay shops and received absolute junk? I do not see how they would stay in business long on ebay if they were fraudelent.

Please let me know. Saving 39% is great way to start a project.

Thank you in advance,

uzj100

2. Arleaux

Arleaux

I have that exact head unit. Bought it on Ebay almost two years ago.

No Problems.

I'll see if I can find the seller for ya.

3. uzj100

uzj100

Which vehicle did you install it in? Did you get the rear view camera?

Thanks for the insight,

uzj100

4. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Only real concern I would have would be warranty. A lot of electronics on Ebay are gray market stuff with no US warranty.

5. apcoleman

apcoleman

When stuff has said "brand new" i have never had a problem. "like new" I have had a not so good experience.

6. uzj100

uzj100

Good point.

Crutchfield - 12 month warranty
    Ebay - About 30 days

So, about $310 dollars (after shipping charges) for 11 months of warranty...

7. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep...buy brand new on ebay. You'll save $$$ for starters.

I outfitted my 99 Tahoe a few years ago with stereo equipment ALL off ebay. Best stereo I ever had. Then again, it was $4000...........dumb.

8. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Off Ebay, if it's a US product you'll still have the manufacturer's warranty. I've purchased two car stereos off Ebay, both have been excellent.

9. airon23

airon23

Media:
    Albums:
  10. uzj100

uzj100

I saw that bad boy. I am not a fan of the flip out screen, I prefer the flat screen - closer to an oem look.

uzj100

11. miked

miked

if the guy tells you three times in a row, there are too many boxes in front of the computer, so, he can't get to it to check the status of your order and tell you if it's shipped yet, be afraid!

this is happening to a friend right now. the seller has more good feed back than bad, but he also has ALLOT of both. the friend and i were arguing about it just last night. personally, i will not buy from anyone with any bad feedback on ebay. unless it's something like... he shipped it one day late and he took a neg comment for it.

12. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

I have purchased 4 cd/mp3 car head units, 3 sony sub amps,3 x4 channel sony amps , ix2ch sony amp and numerous tools off U.S.A. Ebay, all the car audio came with USA warranty. The units must be sent back to the USA for this as the relevent companies in Oz will not fix it under warranty which is fair, they did not sell it. I have had no problems at all with failures. One seller sent me a refurb head unit as a new one but after I complained to square trade he eventually made good.The two biggest car audio sellers on Ebay will not ship to Australia, pitty because they are cheapest by far and have great feedback for such large shippers[ more shipping more genuine mistakes].Email the seller and ask whatever you are not sure of regarding the purchase,some offer extended warranty.

13. Arleaux

Arleaux

Here is the unit, it's in my 80.

Still looking for the seller.

Don't have the rear view camera yet, but I am just about to purchase the navigation unit.

14. mooker82

mooker82

Ask the seller if it is a remanufactured or a refurbished unit. There are a lot of these on ebay. Also most companies will not warranty their product unless it was bought at an authorized dealer (Crutchfield, local stereo shop, etc...). Also if you plan to install the unit yourself you might as well go with the Ebay one as most companies will only offer a 30-60 day warranty for DIY installers and a 1-2 year warranty for professional installation.