Buying HJ62. What to look out for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I'm pretty close to buying HJ62 with 2H motor, biege. My friend is selling it.

I am new to the 60 model, I own a 2nd gen 2Runner. Could you guys tell me about typical diseases the series have? What should I take a closer look at?

Thanks!

Your buddy in Uzbekistan.

Also, forgive me for this question, like I said, I'm new. What is the difference between FJ62 and HJ62? Is there a FJ62 at all?

Thanks

welcome! :flipoff2: (mud noob welcome)

HJ vs FJ = motor. HJ has 2H diesel, FJ has 3FE gas motor.

RUST - check rear wheel wells, gutters, rear tailgate, around all windows, and frame (especially rear around tire carrier and low points).

I'd read up more in the FAQ stickied at the top of the forum. It should give you a lot more info to go through, but here's a start.

Good luck!

rob

If your potential purchase truly has a 2H, then it is probably an HJ60. If it has a 12HT which is the same, but with a factory turbo, then it is probably an HJ61. FJ60 and FJ62 are both gasoline powered. Does it have two round headlights, or four square headlights? Pics would be helpful here.

Regards

Yeah,

it's a four square lights mug. The diesel has no turbo. Since I live in Central Asia I think it may be some kind of a special model for this market.

The body has just been repainted. The engine just rebuilt. The interior still not completely put together.

The owner says there is some noise from the t-case when you are in 1st low. The 2 and up are fine, also all gears in high are fine too. Any thoughts?

Thanks for clarification about the FJ/HJ models.

Sorry, I haven't taken pictures yet. Funny, I have noticed an interesting thing: if I take a picture of a car I want to buy before I buy it, the deals doesn't happen... Wierd, huhh?.. So I did take the camera today but was hesitant to shoot.

Anyway, enough of this prejudice.

Thanks

OK, this is an HJ60, later-model, hence the 62 lights (and likely the 62 frame, upholstery and dash, etc.).
There is no such thing as an HJ62, except one that started out as an FJ62 which somebody put a 2H or 12HT motor into. The HJ61 is exclusively JDM. Everyone else got just the HJ60 in early (round lights) and later (rectangular lights) versions. I'd be curious as to which 2H this has (the early one has sleeved cylinders, the later one has none, but a stiffer block). There are other more subtle differences too.

Is this a 1987 or 1988?

Got any pics? Interior and engien bay especially.

Yes, indeed it does. But, this is an old debate, and thus far, nobody has produced a VIN on this forum or elsewhere (that I know of) showing a real live HJ62. Until then, I remain highly skeptical. I suspect the creators of that site assumed rectangular lights = 62 (or 61), when that is certainly not so. There absolutely were factory-equipped HJ60s (and I suspect FJ60s) with what we think of as a 62's face (and dash, etc.).

Welcome,Miles dont bother me on cruisers.That said, Im looking for regular maintaince and service records. Doesnt have it, dont buy it,without completely going over it. Mike

Drilldeeper,

This sounds like an interesting rig, i hope the deal works out for you. The noise in first low could be a few different things. One quick thing you could check before you buy, is the front driveshaft and pinion on the front differential, just to make sure everything is tight and solid.

On the pictures, take your time. I get a bit superstitious about vehicle purchases too. I usually get pretty tight-lipped when the deal is happening, so it doesn't get jinxed.

Did you already check for comp numbers .. or at least blowB on the head breather .. it's manual or auto ?

Edit: I believe in HJ62

It's definitely manual. I believe it's a 5 speed manual. It has power steering. Manual windows. I have not checked for comp numbers yet. I has a rear bench and no seats behind the bench, not even holes to mount them (I think).

I believe in HJ62 too :)

Another quick question: When did Toyota start installing front disk brakes on the 60's models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom