Buying help part III (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For that matter, you could talk to him and say you "want to go over it with a fine tooth comb before you give him 15k (or 16k)." If he says "Hell no." Walk away from it. If he doesn't and just wants to show you why it's worth more, ask for the pics again and ask more questions. If he ignores you, you're done. If he still talks, you've warned him and he's shown his hand. He'll deal with you.

Last edited:
For that matter, you could talk to him and say you "want to go over it with a fine tooth comb before you give him 15k (or 16k)." If he says "Hell no." Walk away from it. If he doesn't and just wants to show you why it's worth more, ask for the pics again and ask more questions. If he ignores you, you're done. If he still talks, you've warned him and he's shown his hand. He'll deal with you.
I hate the negotiating process!

my guess is that paint wasn’t properly prepped and just sprayed ovEr the top. You might be able to use several methods described on here to remove that paint and keep the original paint in tact. Would make a huge price difference and looks difference. They went crazy with the green paint everywhere which means it wasn’t torn down, just a spray over it all. Probabaly overspray everywhere. And those green seats, yikes.

As for a rebuilt engine does he have receipts? Shop info? Personally there are only mud members that I would trust to says it’s been rebuilt without any sort of provenance on that. No paperwork or info devalues that a lot for me and would have me sending it to a shop for compression testing and overall health.

Do your due diligence and don’t be afraid to walk. However, if it is really solid, and good rebuild engine and not hiding rust or anything sketchy it could be a pretty good cruiser. Id be more into it at the $15k range with that crappy paint everywhere knowing the work to get it off.
[/QUOTE]

I wasn’t aware you could remove a layer of paint to get to original. Cool.

I wasn’t aware you could remove a layer of paint to get to original. Cool.

usually on a crAppy paint over you can do it. Here’s a thread on, more to do with preserving the old paint early on, but later removing crAppy paint over original paint. Some impressive results, some hard work.

Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks

lacquer thinner, goof off are a couple things used. Again it depends on how well that top layer is bonded.

usually on a crAppy paint over you can do it. Here’s a thread on, more to do with preserving the old paint early on, but later removing crAppy paint over original paint. Some impressive results, some hard work.

Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks

lacquer thinner, goof off are a couple things used. Again it depends on how well that top layer is bonded.
Thanks. Good stuff.

My .02

Wait, like others have said, way overpriced. I just bought a 78 in November (within my budget) after 6 month of looking. I looked at many, many 40's and I missed a few great ones here on the board. But PATIENCE is your friend.....time wise and money wise.

Did you look at this one on: For Sale - 1976 Toyota FJ40

Better condition and great seller

My .02

Wait, like others have said, way overpriced. I just bought a 78 in November (within my budget) after 6 month of looking. I looked at many, many 40's and I missed a few great ones here on the board. But PATIENCE is your friend.....time wise and money wise.

Did you look at this one on: For Sale - 1976 Toyota FJ40

Better condition and great seller
I did see that one. He’s asking 19k and swapped a 2F for an F? (Looks like a 2F in the pics. Maybe just the valve cover or a 1.5?) I’m holding out for an original engine. Cool rig for sure..not sure if it’s better condition though cause this seller is a bit difficult to get info from. Could be a UNICORN! Hahaha.

You are spot on about patience though. I’ve only been really serious for a few weeks. Already “lost” 2 locally because I thought about it too hard. I’m in the transition/denial phase where I’m still waffling a bit. Also, I think I need to move some cash to my home safe so I can move quick! I’m seeing the good ones go fast.
Just came across some picks of my ‘74 from 1986. Forgot just how amazing my mullet was. I’ll post those when I get the new one. :cool:

You can remove a bunch of bad prepped paint using a pressure washer. That would be a good $12.5K vehicle. For what the price is I'd walk away. Ed

is no one going to mentioned the oversprayed green seats.. I think that's just painted seat hardware and seats… that.. would make me ask questions...

Didn't see anyone mention surface rust does not bubble like that. Someone did a repaint without repairing all the rust.

Use to think 78 was a great year. Now it's 81 plus. Square bezel is a easy fix compared to what it takes to add all the advantages of the 8/80+ models. Easier on the 79/80 models.

Like others have said, this is way over priced. It’s unfortunate, but we rarely see what we put into these projects. Did he put 20k into it? Probably, but that has little to do with resale. All the points being made put this rig in below your $12,000 ballpark.

Mechanical's are lot easier than body work and repaint. As Living in the Past mentioned about the rust, there's probably more issues with the green one once the paint has been removed. There's a lot of overspray and bad taping and prep, which imo, means there were probably shortcuts prior to painting.

Like others have said, this is way over priced. It’s unfortunate, but we rarely see what we put into these projects. Did he put 20k into it? Probably, but that has little to do with resale. All the points being made put this rig in below your $12,000 ballpark.
I think the paint does it for me. The effort required to strip all that off… I’d probably go to 12K though. He said yesterday he was going to send me some engine bay pictures so waiting for those before I really talk to him.

Mechanical's are lot easier than body work and repaint. As Living in the Past mentioned about the rust, there's probably more issues with the green one once the paint has been removed. There's a lot of overspray and bad taping and prep, which imo, means there were probably shortcuts prior to painting.
Yeah I’m afraid you’re probably right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom