Buying first LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am starting the process of buying my first LC and thought I would come here for some help. Been lurking and learning for a while on here so I have a good understanding of the vehicles, but need some advice on my options.
I am looking at two 80s... one is a 91 4.0L that has very low miles, the other is a 94 4.2TD with about 135K miles. I prefer the 91 for the options it has, color, mileage, etc.. the problem is I worry about the 4.0L motor especially when it comes to power and MPG... I know I know why look at an LC if that's a concern.. Do the diesels get that much better MPG? Is it worth giving up some of the options just to have the diesel? I was dead set on the 91 until I saw the diesel.. so any thoughts or help you can slide my way is very very appreciated.

You didn't mention a) the initial cost/condition of either one; b) your mechanical abilities; c) your financial resources; or d) the intended use - daily driver, trails only, etc.

Depending on price (I'll take anything that's free...) I'd probably pass on both - for reasons that are unique to my situation and likely not yours.

Oh, Welcome to Mud! :beer:

The diesel is a good motor. The turbo will maintain power in the mountains.
1HDT
Pros:
Factory Turbocharged
More headroom for power upgrades
Conventional Glowplugs
“Short” common A/C compressor
Cons:
BEB Issues

Some say the ‘93/‘94 are the best year, OBD1, best engine, best tranny... etc....
‘94 was available with lockers.
93 and up has a good following for aftermarket stuff or OEM.

Also keep in mind that the 93 and 94 model years had the slightly shorter birfields which makes them easier to find Aisin hubs for if you choose to convert to part time 4x4. And they also have the better looking front grill without the space cowboy emblem.

‘91-‘92 have smaller front disc brakes, no ABS, semi-float rear axle with drum brakes, and 15” wheels. ‘93-‘97 have larger front disc brakes, full float rear axle with discs, ABS, and 16” wheels.

3FE parts are starting to become scarce. Most of the heater hoses on the 3FE are discontinued 😞

The 3FE is slow, dead reliable, super simple, easy to work on, and relatively impervious to neglect. It is pushrod in-block cam, direct drive (no timing belt or chains). Bullet proof. Non-electronic A440F transmission, no ABS system, no airbags, no PHH and fewer head gasket issues as it has an iron block and iron head.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much for your responses.. I do plan on this being a vehicle I can go exploring in and take on long trips. I plan on outfitting it as an overland rig so reliability and being able to work on it in the field is a must. I come from the Jeep side of things and have had a wrangler sport in the past that labored to stay at highway speeds on hill climbs and was not a fan. So that may be what turns me off to the 3FE.. BUT I have no experience with it so I am naive to what real world life with it may be. I will say the 91 has all the bells and whistles for a great rig platform, but I was unaware of the non ABS and airbags.. but that may not be a real deal breaker. I think the diesel is appealing to me A. because its a diesel (a buddy of mine has an 80s GWagon with a turbo diesel and I love it) and B. fuel mileage... other than that I have to give up things like rear air (for the kiddos) and sliding rear windows... these are 1st world problem things that at the end of the day don't matter, but the 91 also is triple locked where all of the Diesels only have center dif lock... The 3FE is probably the better choice.. cheaper, more equipment (though less safety equipment) and fewer miles.. just trying to make the best choice for long term when I start throwing money at upgrades I want to have chosen the best foundation.

Given those two choices, I would go with the HDJ. Is it left-hand drive or right-hand drive?

If you're worried about keeping up on the highway and a wrangler didn't cut the mustard, no way you'll be satisfied with a 3FE. The 3FE will get about 14mpg before you start modding it, assuming it's running right. I've heard 1HD owners getting into the 23mpg range, so the fuel economy is significantly improved. Better power to boot.

HOWEVER: are you really limited to these two cruisers? Seems to me, given your comments, that you would be better suited to wait and shop for a 1fz Land Cruiser or LX450. That way you get acceptable power for keeping up on the highway, but you also get the creature comforts.

Given those two choices, I would go with the HDJ. Is it left-hand drive or right-hand drive?

If you're worried about keeping up on the highway and a wrangler didn't cut the mustard, no way you'll be satisfied with a 3FE. The 3FE will get about 14mpg before you start modding it, assuming it's running right. I've heard 1HD owners getting into the 23mpg range, so the fuel economy is significantly improved. Better power to boot.

HOWEVER: are you really limited to these two cruisers? Seems to me, given your comments, that you would be better suited to wait and shop for a 1fz Land Cruiser or LX450. That way you get acceptable power for keeping up on the highway, but you also get the creature comforts.
all the ones I am looking at are RHD.. and maybe that is the problem. I started off wanting a 70 series which led me to mostly looking at import places for them.. the more I looked and learned I thought maybe the 80 was a better bet for me due to state-side support and I have loved them since I was a kid. I guess I kept looking on the same sights.. I probably can find an 1FZ or LX450 if I look different places.. the problem is everything I find LHD is signifigantly higher in mileage and wear.. The 3FE supposedly only has 56K miles on it.. and the diesel is at 135K miles.. which is half of what I find most around here.. but they are about double the price of most too..

Be a bit careful with the 'supposed' milages at import places. They are sometimes known to play fast and loose with the odometer.

But these are not Jeeps either. Toyota's don't care much about milage as long as basic maintenance is kept up. I'd take a 250k FZJ any day over a 100k Wrangler. And the HDJs are even more stout (as long as the BEBs have been looked after). I have a 5VZ Tacoma with 400k miles on it and body rot will kill it before it ever stops running.

The HDJ parts are unavailable at US dealers (mainly only engine stuff, everything else is the same) but it is very easy to get parts from overseas and from US companies that support these beasts.

If you're great at working on these things by yourself and savvy about sourcing parts, by all means get an HDJ. If you want an overlander that anyone in the US can service and has more readily available parts, I would find a good 93-94 FZJ regardless of the miles on it. Especially if you're looking at paying significantly more for the HDJ import. Do the math: how many miles do you have to drive at 22mpg in a diesel to actually save money over the 15mpg in the gas truck? More than you're likely to drive.

Don't mistake low mileage for low wear. Many JDM imports are very neglected. Most parts on a 25-30 year old truck need to be replaced due to age, not mileage. Think seals, bushings, hoses, pretty much anything rubber. I'd take an enthusiast-owned cruiser with 275k and maintenance records over a 130k import any day. Any cruiser with an unknown history will need to be baselined, regardless of miles.

I would DEFINITELY not bother buying an import 3FE cruiser. Sooo not worth the RHD. I would consider a good diesel import though.

Last edited:
These are all great points! I am starting to understand that about the odometer and its turned me off to some of the dealers. The one dealer I am looking at has verifiable miles and the one HDJ they have has 135k verifiable miles... That being said I also know too that I have to have a different mindset with Toyotas and mileage. I will look around for a 93-94 FZJ and see what I come up with.. Just have to reprogram my mind.. something about RHD and Diesel was exciting.. probably from my time in England.. but I realize too its not exactly the most practical here stateside.

I love the diesels. So much that I'm wasting a FANTASTIC amount of money converting an FZJ to 1HDT. Lol. And there's nothing in the world wrong with the 95-97 trucks either. Just get the best maintained truck you can afford. If you haven't researched 1FZ trucks too much, they do tend to need a head gasket at some point in their lives. But are otherwise pretty bulletproof.

If you buy an HDJ, budget doing the BEBs immediately unless you have solid proof that they have been done.

If you have any concern about who you're importing from, ask around on here. Different importers have different reps and most are well deserved either way. I know a lot of people swear by Land Cruisers Direct. There are reasonably priced opportunities to import LHD diesels as well if you know where to look.

If you’re going to change your focus to US FZJ80’s, keep an eyes not only on the ‘93-‘94 trucks, but also the ‘95-‘97.

‘95- ‘97 have airbags, full float rear diff, OBD-II, and you can still get engine wire harnesses and o2 sensors.

LX450’s were only available in ‘96-‘97 and many bells and whistles. The seats are plush and comfortable for long road trips.

yeah deffinately going to keep a look out for later model 80s and the LX450s.. of course a month ago I could find a good amount now.. there seems to be slim pickings at least for good examples.. so far anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom