Buying bj60, thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks. I have spent the last few days pouring over the forum for as much info as possible on BJ60s. This place is awesome.

The reason is...I'm heading to pick up a 1982 BJ60, and I'm looking for some input.

Specs as I understand them

1982 BJ60 with naturally aspirated 3b and 4spd
Rebuild by current owner about 5 years/50k km ago, new sleeves and seals.
Frame rebuild and re inforcement at aft end, starting at the tranny. C- channels boxed.
2inch lift
Lunchbox locker in rear
Re painted at some point years ago
Has custom bumper, and roof rack and a winch.

Body looks like it's starting to deteriorate a bit. Decent sized holes in both rocker panels under rear door, and the paint is starting to bubble around the wheel wells. Few odd rust spots here and there. Sounds like some panels were replaced in the wheel wells in the past too. Slow/small Leaks from rear diff cover and rear main seal.

$8k is the price.

Seems to me like BJ60s are getting harder to find/more expensive, and I'm pretty excited about the chance to get into one. Will be doing a fair amount of daily driving and weekend trips into backcountry. Eventually wouldn't mind (slowly) driving down to the Baja. Any thoughts on the year 4spd, the body rust, and the price?

Thanks in advance.

$8000 is probably not too bad for a good running 60.
I think it is way too high, but that seems to be the going rate in AB, BC.

I don't know how long you have been searching, but they come up for less sometimes.

Here's a quick Kijiji search for BJ60.

I'm pretty excited about the chance to get into one

We all were excited about out first landcruiser. What worries me about this one is that it probably has a lot more rust in it than is obvious.
Its had a repaint , maybe it was like this when he bought it.
Ok I havent seen it, but I half suspect this is one you might buy to use the parts to rebuild up another. It just depends on how many hours/weeks/months/years you are prepared to do to fix the body.

With the engine, if you cant do a compression test, at least demand to see a cold start which means that it hasnt been started for 12-24 hours, not even for 5 seconds
Low compression rears its ugly head on cold starts with an extravaganza of smoke and chugging away on 2-3 cylinders until the others warm up.

The condition of the pump is harder to determine for non experts . Ask about pump and injector rebuilds and any documentation. They can cost well over a $1000 sometimes. Listen for odd noises, but they are more reliable than many of the newer types.

Back to the price, I think $8k is about twice what its worth based on what you have told us. I think the repaint will be hiding a few surprises.

My advice, find an 80 series and convert it to diesel as funds become available. They are cheap and plentiful and rust a lot less than 60 series do IMO.

Ask for a complete cold start and run the engine with rad cap off at high idle for a few minutes and look for bubbles in the coolant. Their presence Indicates bad head gasket and/or cracked head. Very common with these trucks. If it is bubbling knock 2500$ off the price if you feel like working on the engine.

You can also rock both output shafts where they exit the transfer case to check bearings. If there is more than a mm of play or especially evidence of oil leaking your looking at a t case rebuild. I think that's probably worth 1500$ off.

This is what I'd say if I were in your shoes. If you can do the work yourself you can save quite a bit of money. If you pay for work to be done I'd be careful who you take it to or you will get soaked. Always decide to buy the truck with your eyes closed. If you trust your eyes they will let you down.
g

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts. I have got it booked in for a compression test pre purchase. I'll ask about rebuild docs for the pump etc.

Interesting about the hiding stuff, I hadn't thought about it that way. Great point though I'll be going with my surveyors hammer and tapping everything I can.

What rosco mentioned about 60s and rust can't be overstated. 80s are not only less prone to rust than the 60s they are much better than the average car. Toyota put a ton of RnD into making them probably the best engineered truck Toyota built.

Last edited:
Yeah I love old diesels and the the 60s are just so damn sexy. But maybe I'll try n reduce my tunnel vision here and start looking at 80s more seriously.

I think your price sounds about right from what I see on Craigslist and other websites, even a good price if the motor etc has been rebuilt, at least in BC and the PNW, these frequently list for 15-25k. Im not saying you should pay that much for this particular one, or that theres not a better deal out there, but as far prices go for 60s, they have risen exponentially the last few years in this area. They are the cool classic car the rich people in Seattle, Vancouver and Portland want to own. Not sure where your located, and just my two cents.

I would keep looking until you found a BJ60 with a 5 speed; they're around. If you get a 4 speed you'll want a 5 speed.
The good news is the pumps are bombproof. They rarely go bad. I've not seen one go bad in the 25+ years I've been running cruisers.
A compression test is a great idea. In my experience the 3B is difficult to ruin unless its been overheated. This can happen. However, these motors can take a lot of abuse as they're industrial diesels.

Yeah I love old diesels and the the 60s are just so damn sexy. But maybe I'll try n reduce my tunnel vision here and start looking at 80s more seriously.

The 1st 80s are coming up to 30 years old next year. In a decade they will be as old as the 60s you are looking at now.
But the 80 still has good parts availability and you can spend your time/money on engine and mechanical issues, which is always more satisfying than poking holes in rust.
Or just sit back and wait for the right 60.
Or maybe think about a JDM import.

There's a couple on the BC buy sells that are are a bit more but way better deals if you had your heart set on a 60. 5spd no rust etc.

Didn't read the whole thread, but maybe go take a look at this one? I wouldn't pay what they're asking though. I've seen nicer ones go for less recently. 12HT is an excellent engine; and this has 5speed also. RHD is not as big a deal as you might think. Bonus is getting out on the sidewalk when parking in a city. Toyota Landcruiser HJ61

I would echo what others have said. The 80 is the best all round 4x4 ever made, and probably ever will be.
It's on the verge of becoming a classic but with comfort, relative creature comforts and power. Plus good parts availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom