Buying an FJ80 PLZ HELP I have some concerns before pulling the trigger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone I am new so thanks for letting me join the community!

I found an FJ80 for $1700, 220000 miles. She has a slight bit of rust but honestly not bad at all considering I’m up north. (She has only been here for 7ish years, frame is solid). Anyway my consens are....

1. The check engine light is on.... the cats were cut off and replaced with a straight pipe, also the smog pump was disabled but is still on it. I should check the OBD1 code but wondering if the lack of cats would put the light on. (Engine also idels around 1400rpms). What are y’all s thoughts?! I would follow the guide to fully Desmog the truck properly.

2. There is some slight valve ticking. I think they probably just need adjusting or is that normal on a 3FE?!

3. There is a good amount of steering slop. I check under the car and it’s not the tie rods but in the steering box. I would say the steering wheel moves about an inch before the wheels decided on doing anything....

4. AC pump can kick in if you use a cable to jump it but AC in it currently form doesn’t work. The guy just ran a wire to the AC pump to check if he needed a motor or not for it.... thoughts

The good.
Guy seems honest she is leaking from the rear main seal but just slightly. No black smoke at start and it hadnt been started in a couple of days. Burflags been replaced. new all terrain tires, but there 31... new OME rear springs, he thought they were stock height but the rear is about 2 inches taller than the front lol. Weather tech front mats. Upgrade front rotors (some mod where you use new disc and grind a tab or something to keep the 15s) she drove nice low range worked and I did check the center diff lock and that turned on the light on the dash saying it was on. He also would give me a new seat cushion for the driver which is warn driver seat is a bit rough but I have seen way worse. Drip things on the roof are in good shape.

If you read the novel thanks!!! Please let me know your thoughts. I feel the price is nice but I don’t want a money pit.

Yes. No cats can throw code.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

At that age and condition the price is decent, and yes, you are getting into a money pit. As with any vehicle that old that hasn't been completely gone through recently, you're gonna be spending lots of time and money on it, don't kid yourself. On the positive side, although you didn't give many details it sounds like the axles might have been gone through already (what's a burflag?) and if it was done correctly that could save you some coin.

I suppose it depends on your idea of what constitutes a money pit.
The wheelbase and weight as well as the allwheel gives it the potential to be a massive snow performer, mine is the best snow rig ive had. (Mind your ABS)

The miles are fine but she is gonna need a solid 2-3 grand over the next year for proper baselining.

Point number 3 actually does not sound out of spec but you will have to test it jacked-up per FSM. If the spec is off it is a simple 17 mm adjustment if the FJ is as my FZJ.

sounds like the price is right for the miles and condition so that's in your favor. rust will never get better but having a solid frame is key, you can always replace whats attached to the frame

check engine light is most likely not the cats or cat related as you say it is an fj80 and not an fzj80, also you mention having a 3fe so that's obd I and theres no cat monitoring. good guess in the cel is its probably related to the high idle.

I personally don't have any 3fe experience but being a push rod motor it can be a little noiser.

steering boxes will always have a little slop in them, its just the nature of the design and it will never be like a rack and pinion steering. if the box is in good shape you can try adjusting the preload on the box and that can help tighten it a bit or at that mileage it may be time for a rebuild or reman unit.

a/c issue sight unseen sounds like maybe a relay issue if its only working with the relay jumped. quick check would be to swap the relay with a known good one and see if the a/c kicks on

Do a search for the steering box slop. The adjustment screw that's accessible is not going to do much, the slop is caused by a lack of preload on one of the bearings, which requires the box to be disassembled to adjust.

Sorry I never put that it is a 1991.

thanks spike, birfield is what I ment... IT terms and car term are switching on me. Anyway front axel has had some work done, rear I think it was just seal replaced

Mountain passing - what do you mean FSM?

As for rebuilt a steering box? Any special tools needed?! All my cars and trucks I have had besides my 77 Celica have had a rack and pinion.

So I am getting mixed feeling on the Cat...anyone running without them on a 3FE and did/are you having issues with the check engine light?

Factory Service Manual

And i had like 5 extra inches of travel when i bought mine, all taken care of by the simple adjustment.

At some point one cannot use the adjustment anymore but apparently mine was loose or had never been adjusted and so i came out on top,YMMV.
:cigar:

Sorry I never put that it is a 1991.

thanks spike, birfield is what I ment... IT terms and car term are switching on me. Anyway front axel has had some work done, rear I think it was just seal replaced

Mountain passing - what do you mean FSM?

As for rebuilt a steering box? Any special tools needed?! All my cars and trucks I have had besides my 77 Celica have had a rack and pinion.

So I am getting mixed feeling on the Cat...anyone running without them on a 3FE and did/are you having issues with the check engine light?

fsm= factory service manual

I dont remember if you needed any special tools to rebuild the box, mine was rusted up to the point that I couldn't disassemble it so I ended up going with a reman for about 500.

cat will not cause a cel as there is no post cat o2 sensors. obd I has pre cat o2 sensors for fuel trim only, there is no cat monitoring as in an obd II vehicle

Thanks for the info!

This is the only pic that I have.... wife took it she thought our micro dog and the snow was cute....

B5730C06-13ED-4022-AE29-2F43C1F679D6.jpeg

The 02’s are in front of the cats so they do not cause codes.

I knew this. Was thinking O2 sensors. I’m dumb.

if you have concerns now, that's enough reason not to buy it - because more problems will be discovered after that

Yeah I figure ill be finding more issues.... 1 other thing I forgot to mention there are rust bubbles on the lower part of the A pillars by the bottom corners of the windshield. its not bad or rust through... Anyway what would cause that? guessing I would have to figure out how to pull the windshield to fix it.

Keep looking, IMO. Spend a bit more and find something closer to OEM.

Keep looking, IMO. Spend a bit more and find something closer to OEM.
I'd strongly agree. Save up if you have to, but rust is never fun. Made a mistake on a 2000 Model 100 that I'm still kicking myself over. The frame may be ok, but how about all the nuts and bolts? My 2000 mistake resists every repair, e.g., bushings in the front end, because it is such a battle to remove nuts and bolts. Even with heat.

Congrats on your new purchase! That will make for one awesome snow machine. :)

edit: Wish you were closer. I have a perfect OEM front bumper I pulled off when I installed my new one. You could have it for free, but the shipping would be a killer!

Wish you were closer. I have a perfect OEM front bumper I pulled off when I installed my new one. You could have it for free, but the shipping would be a killer!

Thanks VacMan! Im going to try and build one this summer... But First Ill need to upgrade welders! and I want to fix the issues and clean her up a bit! My goal is to build it up like Darwink 1 93 80 beater... and then EVENTUALLY do a 5 speed swap Similar to BHMapping 4 speed build (Second LInk). BUT we shall see.
93 80 Beater.
H42 four speed manual transmission into 1992 FJ80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom