Buying an '88 X-tra Cab 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markamoore.com
I am picking up an '88 SR5 X-Tra cab 4x4 5spd 4cyl. w/ 160 k miles to add to the collection. This is the fully loaded model w/ alloys, sunroof, c/c, nice seats, etc. No rust for the most part and everything works. From a friend for $1850. He says it is noisy when you turn the truck. Do these trucks have any "common" front end issues that I should know about? I am guessing it needs CVs but I have not driven it yet. I can do new front axle/CV assembly for $90 per side. What type of steering does it have?

-Mark

Noisiness I've seen included the recalled steering arm/rod and low power steering fluid makes a horrible noise. Good luck with the truck!

it could be a couple of things.. The bushings on any number of steering components could be worn out or not Greased, causing it to squeek!

at full Turn the stering stops where made of metal with a Rubber boot, these rubber covers are all pretty much gone by now and it will squeek metal to metal at full lock with any suspension travel..

Also the Torsion bars can squeek while truning too,,

Cut all that junk off and put on a solid axle!

Steering is a PS box with relay rods.. Perfect for use with your Hysteer and SAS!

Got to drive it today & bought it. It is just the steering stops. A nice little truck, pretty much all stock, an '87 actually - bought it from the second owner.

Thanks for the tips. I won't ask you guys what to do next with this thing.:)

-Mark
SR5.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom