Buying Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all.

I’ve wanted a 40 for years and am finally at a point where I’m seriously looking for one. I found this Craigslist ad for one about 3 hours away and was wondering if I could get some advice on if it would be a good buy. It’s a little more than I was looking to spend but if it looks good I might be able to come up with the extra money. The ad doesn’t give much. I’ve already asked for more pictures and info so if I hear anything back I’ll add it later.

Ad: Fj40 landcruiser for sale - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... - https://lafayette.craigslist.org/cto/d/lafayette-fj40-landcruiser-for-sale/7547197841.html

Thanks

Well, no engine pics. Basically looks good. I would require frame pics, just overall more images. If it passes the test, price seems correct, and maybe a bargain.

It’s earlier than 66… unless a lot of parts were changed … looks late64 early 65 build and titled in 66 most likely

Running boards not 64 however

Lot more good than bad in pics… however not a lot of pics

He is a cruiser guy… maybe a mudder truck … looks familiar

Not a bad price … very fair … but again need to see more

Btw op you understand that these are slow right? Lol had u driven one before? :)

Last edited:
What do you want to do with an FJ40? Answer that and people can help guide whether this one fits or not.

What do you want to do with an FJ40? Answer that and people can help guide whether this one fits or not.
I definitely want to use it. My dad had an 86 Toyota pickup when I was growing up that I helped him work on and we used for all kinds of stuff. Yard work, hunting, hauling firewood, etc. That’s the kind of stuff I’d like to do. Hunting, camping, exploring fire roads, etc. I don’t want something super nice that I’ll be afraid to take through the woods or anything like that. I don’t have a problem with doing any mechanical work or wiring or anything like that. I don’t mind some rust repair but I’d really like to avoid having to do major body work or repainting. Just hate doing it and again don’t want it super nice.

It’s earlier than 66… unless a lot of parts were changed … looks late64 early 65 build and titled in 66 most likely

Running boards not 64 however

Lot more good than bad in pics… however not a lot of pics

He is a cruiser guy… maybe a mudder truck … looks familiar

Not a bad price … very fair … but again need to see more

Btw op you understand that these are slow right? Lol had u driven one before? :)
Lol I haven’t driven one before but I don’t need it to get me anywhere fast

Not only are they slow but noisy as heck, they rattle, they whine, hot in the summer and cold in the winter. 50 plus year old trucks that have been used as intended cost a lot to keep running/driving. They are nothing like an ‘86 Toyota truck. Aside from those things FJ40’s are fun to own. Again before you buy consider all of the above then consider again slow, noisy, expensive and nothing like an ‘86 Toyota truck. You will love owning it.

1. Take your time. I know the itch to buy and jump too soon. The more you investigate (and even drive) the more you'll know "this is the one".
2. Learn the differences in the models - and dare I say NA and SA markets.
3. As others have said, how will you be using the cruiser? Where will you be driving. It will get old quick. My 63, while a hoot to drive, I loved it, was just not practical in modern traffic. Three on the tree was easy to use, but man, what a handful to drive in modern traffic.

Find what you like, and then when you do - buy the nicest version you can find and afford of that version. Good luck.

Totally agree with post 7 and 8. The 3 speed definitely handles as it were a tractor. But faster on a road. I have SA diesel 6 cylinder, when making a turn after taking off at a traffic light....and by the time I'm finishing the turn, I'm already in 3rd gear. Different 40 models from different countries drive differently than the ones here in the states. And same goes for different years here in the USA. An early 70s does not behave the same as a 76and 76 does not handle the same as 79 on a freeway. Adding taller tires will help all them on the highway. And definitely not the same as your Dad's 4x4 toyota. I will say all have thier uniqueness just got to figure what you really like. And to that try testing each era.

What’s your other car?

A few use FJ40s for primary car, but I don’t think a lot do. A FJ40 from the mid-70s might be a better choice if you’re planning on daily driving.

Price looks good, all the parts are there. I would take a three hour drive to see it!

I was in your exact shoes a few weeks ago. I bought, and am very happy with, a '75 FJ40. I was surprised at how slow it is and have discovered that it will be a work in progress for its lifetime. Pay attention to the members on here that have a lot of experience as they were invaluable to me. If you find something that interests you, post it on here like you did above. They will let you know, in a hurry, if it's something you should pursue. I found out quickly that I have a ton to learn about these beasts. Good luck!

What’s your other car?

A few use FJ40s for primary car, but I don’t think a lot do. A FJ40 from the mid-70s might be a better choice if you’re planning on daily driving.

Price looks good, all the parts are there. I would take a three hour drive to see it!
I have a newer silverado as my daily. I would love to have a 40 I could use as a daily someday but that will be way down the road. That’s not the intended purpose at all right now

So the seller got back with me. He addressed a few of the questions I asked but overall didn’t give me much information other than the original engine was swapped out for another F engine that was in better shape and overall the body and frame are in good shape. Didn’t send anymore pictures just said I need to go look at it.

One concern I have is that I like the newer style hard tops. I was thinking I could just buy a newer one at some point and swap it but from some reading I’ve done over the last few days I don’t think that’s possible. Am I right on that?

In regards to swapping hard tops, I would say that FJ40s are not so rare that you have to buy whatever you can get your hands on and then modify it to your desires. IMO you will be better off both financially and in time spent if you buy what you think you want the first time around.

You’ll spend way more money, time and effort trying to make one into your ideal Cruiser than in buying one that’s as close to what you want as possible. There’s a great deal of underappreciated* value in a complete, mostly stock rig.

*Underappreciated in terms of pricing into a rig that’s for sale. Almost everyone here on the forum “appreciates” an unmolested, complete, stock FJ40!

In regards to swapping hard tops, I would say that FJ40s are not so rare that you have to buy whatever you can get your hands on and then modify it to your desires. IMO you will be better off both financially and in time spent if you buy what you think you want the first time around.

You’ll spend way more money, time and effort trying to make one into your ideal Cruiser than in buying one that’s as close to what you want as possible. There’s a great deal of underappreciated* value in a complete, mostly stock rig.

*Underappreciated in terms of pricing into a rig that’s for sale. Almost everyone here on the forum “appreciates” an unmolested, complete, stock FJ40!
That makes sense.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I might pass on this one, save up some more, and look for something that fits what I want a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom