Buying advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

my girlfriend has been looking for a FJ60 for a few months and we just got back from looking at a car a couple hours from us in Bakersfield,CA.

I was hoping to get your advice on this, and see if it is worth the purchase price. The car felt good mechanically, and was a solid 5 foot car when it came to paint, rust, etc. We ran the car fax tonight, and it came back with a total loss due to hail in Iowa at one point in its life.

Our goal is to have something that we can explore with, that is fun to drive,has some personality and doesn’t depreciate like a rock. It feels like this truck hits all the right boxes, but we want to make sure we are hedging ourselves for resale in the future if we decide to part ways with it. I guess the biggest question, does the total loss reporting on car fax totally screw us in the future if we try to sell, ideally we would want to get as close to our purchase price out of it as possible. Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

VIN # for reference: JT3FJ62G1J0078880

I’ve attached the car fax as well.

Attachments

• CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 1988 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER GX_ JT3FJ62G1J0078880.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
The ad says " 4.0L 3F in-line 6 recently Received a new timing belt at 150k"
That is rather odd!!!
It looks clean enough.
The hail total loss thing sounds a bit disturbing.
Not sure what that means. I am from australia.

Last edited:
Could be the hail damage was repaired and led to the repaint job.

3FE does not have a timing belt. Wheels are from a 4Runner and not stock FJ62. These were just a couple of incorrect points that jumped out. Having had the auto tranny rebuilt is a concern.

Do I think it’s a good truck to fart around off road and stuff? Yes. Do I think that (if the recent maintenance, including trans rebuild if true, minus the timing belt garbage) is good? Yes. Would I buy a salvage title truck due to hail damage if it could be proven that’s what it was? Yes. Would I buy said truck for $16,000? Hell no.

The salvage title makes the car worth much less money and also limits who will buy the vehicle , They are asking way too much for a salvaged title vehicle. Plus, the ad is full of things that are wrong or just plain lies. Clean title?

Hi, Make sure your insurance co. Will even insure a salvaged car? Who rebuilt the transmission? Timing belt,. Not one. Mike

I am more positive that the others on this one. If it has all the paperwork from maintenance done, especially the rebuild of the transmission, I would consider it.
I wouldn't pay $16,000 for it, but the ad says "best offer" and if you can get it insured you can use the "total loss" title as a huge bargaining chip. Insurance companies do "total loss" on older vehicles all the time when the repair costs more than THEY think the value of the vehicle is.

Get more underside pics and check with magnets for bondo in the normal rust places. The interior looks to be in nice shape. If you plan on keeping it for a while, and can somehow rebuild the title (not sure if that's possible and if it is how much it costs) but 62s are really climbing in value lately.

Probably my biggest concern is the misinformation on this ad with regards to the timing belt.

And I actually kinda like the 4Runner wheels. Had them on a '95 4runner and they looked good. Goes well with the updated metallic blue

See if you can get the VIN from the seller and then run a carfax check. Also google search the VIN...a lot of times you can find older pictures that can be very revealing. I tend to the side of caution on some of these machines. $16k seems a little high...and if $16k is in your price range I think you would be better to hold off...there are a lot of good options out there in that price range.

You also might consider an FZJ80 with the 1FZ-FE engine. Prices on these are just starting to come up and you should be able to find a really clean one for less than $16k. Then you get a nice fuel injected engine, coil suspension, over all a but more refined truck that will be very capable off track.

Tough one.
Hail damage by itself wouldn’t concern me, unless the car has a ‘Salvaged Title'. A salvaged title hurts the value and could make it difficult to sell in the future.
By the way, the brake cable on the rear axle is mounted incorrectly (easily fixed).

The car holds a clean CA title. It was reissued as clean, but shows as salvaged on the carfax report.

I guess the biggest question, are we going to lose 5k when/if we go to sell this vehicle? We are not looking to make money, just have fun with something and not loose our asses on it when the time comes to move onto something bigger/better.

There is no scenario where you buy a $16k 60 series, use it, and come out even.

Given the fact that people are readily buying $16,000 FJ60's I'd have to say there is a pretty good chance of breaking even or making a profit. Unless of course you mud bog the hell of it and physically remove $$$$ through your use.

Just remember, when you are ready to sell it you will need to sell the story of the title, 4Runner wheels etc. The history and story of the vehicle becomes a pain point sometimes and will cast doubt in the next buyer’s mind.

I think you keep looking, Cruise the classifieds here on mud and you will find a solid truck to get out on the road safely and then turn over to a new owner when you are ready.

Unless you drive this rig and it is “the one”. Only you will know it. But heed the inspection advice above and ask questions.

Any evidence of body rust? Sometimes those California 60 series get it in the roof for some reason. It is not a bad looking 60 series.
If it runs and drives well with no cancer then the value should remain over $10K indefinitely.

Saw that one but I haven't checked it out. If you need to see anything else on it let me know and I could probably take a look.

Just looked over the Carfax. Honestly wouldn't pay the asking price on it unless...like others had noted....this was going to be yours forever. Its a bit like buying a house that 10 years ago there had been a triple homicide in. Sure its probably fine....but maybe a history that gets in the way of selling later on. And while I think the market is boosting in valve on 60/62's I think this one has enough prior x marks on it that it might very well be at its peak asking price or overprice now. It it were me I'd keep looking.

It looks like its changed owners about 8 times already between dealers and maybe private sales? Its a little hard to tell for sure. If thats the case does the future ad read:

Beautiful FJ62 for sale only with less than 10 previous owners ;)

heres one with $18,500 asking price:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom