Buying advice: LC vs LX from the vantage of the salted North and AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've been tossing around ideas for a dedicated DD for a few months now (100 will be my build truck). Until only recently I had all but decided I was going to get a Tundra (had one before and loved it) but after moving to Michigan about a year ago I've decided I really want to keep the entire fleet full-time 4WD. I had actually posted a WANTED ad in the 200 classifieds but now I am torn between LX vs LC.

We drive ALOT of miles on road trips. So I am looking for quiet and comfort. I know the LX has more sound deadening so I guess my first question is the cabin noise much more in an LC? I know about the upholstery and all that jazz, but truly wondering if there is a measurable difference in driving experience?

My next and most important question is this - Should I be worried about AHC up North? Looking for someone with experience in this area. I have read threads about rusting lines but I feel like I take really good care of my vehicles. I currently have an '06 LC that came with AHC when I got it, it worked beautifully but was wrong I felt for the application of me adding a bunch of weight to the truck with a build. Having said that I'm attracted to the AHC for a vehicle that won't be modified.

I had my 100 fluid-filmed last year and although I know it did it's job for preventing alot of salt exposure it definitely does not make the truck immune to the salt.

@bjowett put an AWD transfer case into a tundra.. might be a good option given your needs.

If you buy the right LX, and you can maintain the undercarriage yourself knowing the weak spots you should be all set. Get some good mudflaps and get under it a few times a year, your good.

From my very limited experience of test driving both, LX is the better daily driver but you cannot go wrong with either.

I have owned a 2013 LC which I bought new and a 18 LC which was also purchased new. I put a ton of miles on the 13 and retired the 18 LC to the garage this past spring when I decided that it was probably time to start thinking of it as investment rather daily transportation. I picked up a 18 LX570 with 35k miles and have been driving it ever since (actually I have the LC out today since it is time for an oil change). As a result of owning both LC and LX in the same model year and mileage, I have a few observations that might be of interest. First, except for a LS that I owned years ago, the LX is my first experience with a Lexus and the LX is my first experience with AHC.

As has been noted elsewhere, the LX is quieter on the highway. I actually think the back seat is much quieter in the LX than the LC. The ride with the AHC is amazing and when set on "comfort" reminds me of the big cars GM produced between the 1960s and 1970s. My list of dislikes for the LX is small and relate to personal preference, first, I hate the side steps/running boards and I am not too wild about the infotainment controls on the console. I like the console layout in the LC MUCH better.

Regarding the LC, there is really nothing I dislike. It is noisy compared to the LX, a fact that was highlighted when I put A/T tires on it but it was not that noticable until I bought the LX. Additionally, I am not sure if it is something about my 18 LC but the drivers seat will not go a low as it would in my old 13 LC. As a result, the seat height in the LC is higher than the LX and the LC feels a bit more like sitting in a truck than the LX but it is still very comfortable.

If I was going to be putting a lot of highway miles on one or the other, I would choose the LX strictly for the comfort/quiet factor. Even my wife thinks the LX is very comfortable. My LX will probably not get off-road much except maybe a trail or two to a camping spot and other members have vastly more experience with the LX in that area. I would presume that with the same tires, the LX would go anywhere the LC would go (but it might leave the side step/running board somewhere along the way).

I am not sure if this was much help with your choice as to which path to follow but feel free to contact me if you have any particular questions that an old man with both vehicles might be able to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom