Buying advice 4Runner vs. Lexus vs Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm new here and you guys were recommended by other Toyota web sites. I already posted this in Club Lexus and Toyota Nation but did not get a lot of traction.

So ... I'm looking for buying advice for a used, Toyota made, high clearance 4x4, that I'm going to use for ski commuting (I'm a ski pro) and for summer camping on unmaintained forest roads.
Why Toyota? Cause I have a '97 Camry (original owner!), an '04 Volvo, and an '09 Outback. Out of all three Toyota has the best reliability and I do not want to buy another restore or performance project car (at least not knowingly :) ).

I'm looking at GX 2nd gen (aka GX460, not sure why should I consider 1st Gen - GX470, but open to suggestions), 4Runner 4th gen (2005-), or Tacoma 2nd gen quad cab. Budget is around 10k, max 30k.

The first question that I have is:
  • how would you compare the vehicles in my list?
Any advice is welcomed as I'm totally new to SUV's ownership. My only driving experience is in rental/friends cars with:
  • all kinds of Jeep Wranglers, 2005 - 2021 models - love the simplicity (on older models) and capability, hate the reliability
  • Mitsubishi Montero - great car for that time, much fun had, but not a good buy today
  • Chevrolet Blazer, 2005 - hated it from the minute I sat in the driver seat
  • Audi Q7, 2016 - excellent driving experience, way too much luxury for me, not much of an off roader for summer camping, huge price
  • Honda Pilot, 2007 - excellent car and super reliable (friends have them), but understandably I'm biased toward Toyotas :)
Thanks a lot!

P.S. How are these vehicles called in here: cars, SUV's, or trucks?

First off, WELCOME!! :cheers:
Second, with you being a pro skier, from what I saw a few Winter Olympics ago, I thought Subaru's were the skier's car of choice! :p
Now to the serious stuff. You couldn't have picked a better brand than Toyota/Lexus.
So what you're considering between GX460, Tacoma and 4Runners really is a wash and will depend upon your ultimate needs and end game.
Straight off the bat, I'd go with a GX over a 4Runner for the simple reasons that they are more expensive than GX's and more likely to have been driver either hard or off-roaded. It's just a fact that people buy the 4Runers for adventure, and adventure requires getting your hands err, tires dirty. GX's on the other hand are usually purchased by upwardly mobile middle class families that need something large and safe for hauling their kids to school, violin lessons and soccer. My GX was a perfect example. It was owned by a little Korean mother. I know this because when I used the seat memory, me being 6'-0", the seat about crushed my knees. I turning on the stereo and XM was set to a Korean station, finally there were crumbs and toy trinkets. On top of all that, being 5 years old, it only had 42,000 miles on the clock. The door sill still had the clear protective plastic on and it was about perfect for a lot less $$$ than any 4Runner.
So that's my preamble on GX's. The GX470's are getting a little long in tooth (higher miles) but are still great!

Also something you didn't list and is also a very viable option are 100 series Landcruisers and LX450's (they are both 100 series Toyotas). They came out in 1998 and ended in 2007. My wife and I both had our own 100 series and loved them! We traded hers with 285,000 miles and mine at 265,000 miles. When we traded them, they both still ran great! The only issues were that the paint was all peeling and the leather was really shot. In fact, there's a fellow on the 100 series forum here on IH8MUD forum that has my old hundy and is still fixing it up!

Those 100 series and even an 80 series if you can find them are really great options and will serve you and your family for many years in all kinds of conditions.

Hope this helped, wish you well on your search!
🤙

Also, if you do get a Toyota of some kind, do us all a favor a post what you purchased (on the appropriate forum, e.g. GX on the GX forum, Tacoma with Tacomas, 4R with 4R's, etc.) I'm sure everyone on that forum would love to see what you got and your plans if any for it!!

Here in the eastern Cascades (we have a couple of local ski resorts as well as 100 miles of x-country trails), we are familiar with both Toyotas and winter driving, although snow was a little scarce last year. Also, I am a retired USFWS Wildlife Biologist, so I've driven many other brands. I have had both Toyota pick ups and now have a 4Runner. Maintenance, durability, economy, reliability will be much the same with either. It really depends upon whether you want the cargo capacity of a p/u or the passenger capacity of the 4Runner (of course, a crew cab is also an option but pricier). A p/u will likely require some tube sand in the bed to improve traction. If you plan to sleep in your rig while camping, the truck with camper will be COLD! I have slept in my p/u in SoCal and Central Cali on deer and pig hunts and it was cold even in the fall! I haven't slept in the 4Runner yet but expect it will be warmer=also, we have G.I. surplus -30 sleeping bags and an AirBedz. The "Taco" and the 4Runner are the rigs most seen in their class locally, although Subarus are popular in town during the winter, especially among the older set. RAV4s are also very common (We currently have my 4Runner SR5 and my wife's RAV4 AWD). Either the p/u or the 4Runner should have good towing capacity (~5K lbs)

I have also had Nissans (Frontier Crew Cab & Xterra) and they were "OK" but watch out for tranny problems in the 2015 (or thereabouts)!! AVOID JEEPS LIKE THE PLAGUE (OR COVID)! Ours cost more in repairs than the payments totaled for the year we had it! Full size trucks have the same drawbacks as do the Tacos but $$$$$$$$$. Other SUVs are not body-on-frame like the 4Runners are.

I have no experience with Lexus but, from what I hear, they are glorified, fancied-up Toys.

A poster referred to the Land Cruiser: I have had 2 but both were FJ40s. Remember gas mileage will not be as good. The V8s will tow more but drink more, as well.

So I went for a test drive yesterday all tests at the same dealer ...

All tests were on the same route on city and rural roads and some very short twisty stuff. Mostly tarmac with a very little bit of forest road like surface on a side of a road - all "off road" we could find in a such a short ride in an urban area. Speeds from 20 to 60 mph.

First was a 2013 GX460 Base. The power and its delivery was awesome for a SUV. Definitely impressed. No drama on delivery, smooth and quiet. Suspension wise very smooth on the straight line almost floaty - unsettling for me used with sporty suspensions (if you are thinking about my Camry, don't, cause it has Tein modified suspension, Outback has much larger upgraded sway bars, and Volvo is road carving beast). The surprise come on the twisty where the float disappeared and there was surprisingly little lean for such a big car! I'll say it here: this was the best suspension for handling twistiest of all test rides! Off road was fine with pleasant ride. Brakes could not be evaluated as the brakes were malfunctioning - huge pedal travel, probably air in the lines, but once engaged they were capable. The turning circle was good but all the other test rides had the same or better. Overall car size it was bigger than what I'm used to but not huge. I liked the seats that are hiding in the floor and the flat cargo floor. I liked the AC in the back. I liked that it does not have a lot of switches and buttons (LX, I'm talking about you) but it still has more than what I'm used to. Could not test the headlights as it was daylight.
Issue and questions:
What kind of suspension design does GX has that is so floaty on highway and not leaning like a boat on twisty? Are they using some kind of electronically controller shocks?
I'm still not sure about the rear door. If I get the GX I'll have to buy a swing arm for my bike racks - $800. I liked that I can open the rear window. Can you drive with it open?

Second was a 2014 4Runner SR5 Limited. I have to say it right of the bat that I was disappointed. Probably not the truck fault, more of the mismatched expectations. The power is let's say OK. A lot of drama to accelerate to highway speed reeving that engine like crazy. It is a lot rougher (delivery, suspension, noise, comfort) and that is Ok not a cons. But what I did not like is that instead of delivering performance is masking that under noise and rough suspension. From were I come, if I put up with noise and rough suspension I expect performance in return. Then the biggest disappointment was in the twisty and off road where I expected it will kill it. But no, it had the largest body roll of all the rides even larger than the LX! Off road it did not do better than any of the others, not bad but not better! Inside it had the most practical interior with darker colors, fewest buttons, down to earth practical controls that wife liked a lot. We also loved the rear window.
Issue and questions:
Are all 4Runners underpowered? I know the engine has not changed but have they maybe improved power delivery in later models? Is there an aftermarket fix for it?

Third was a Tacoma SR5 quad cab. We also looked at a single cab but the space is so small inside that we passed. As expected this was the slowest ride. The suspension felt similar to the 4Runner. The ride, delivery, interior, everything felt like an utility vehicle - which it is. But I'm not sure we actually want an utility vehicle. If I get the Tacoma I need to find more jobs for it than just driving for skiing. I will also need to find a quad cab with extended bed as my powder or SG/DH skis will not properly fit on a short bed.

Forth was a FJ Cruiser. We did not intend to look at this model but they had a few in the parking lot and we were passing past them all the time. Wife was intrigued :) I also always loved the FJ's but never drove or been inside one. This was the most fun ride of all. We loved everything: power - plenty, handling - direct and the shortest turning circle by far!, suspension - jeep like the best off road in test and not worse than 4Runner on tarmac, looks - adventure, roof rack - solid you can do stargazing on it anytime, interior - simple and practical, BUT we hate the storage! There is also the mirrors being too narrow, the blind pot, and the rear door that opens like the GX, but the deal breaker was the storage. The only way to get my skis inside the car is to have them come between the front seats all the way over the cup holders (they will also become unusable). If I need to carry more than one pair (which I often do) the space between the seats gets crowded fast and I cannot have any passengers in the back.

Fifth was an 2010 LX570. This was also an unplanned ride but they had a couple of them. The price was the same as for 4Runner so we said why not checking it out. It is huge inside and out. Driving it I felt like the captain of the Enterprise:) It is so luxurious inside, like going in a first class airplane. It is way too much for us but I have to say we were very impressed. The back of the rear seats are adjustable and you can completely recline for a nap. All power stuff including the 3rd row seat folding and unfolding. AC everywhere that even 3rd row seat had feet and head vents. It was hot outside in direct sun but inside it was comfortable (even cold) like in an airplane even in the trunk and that in just a few minutes from getting in. Lots of buttons everywhere, suspension firmness and height adjustable, throttle response adjustable, etc. I could not believe this was a 2010 truck! After all this I did not expect much on performance side. I expected a supper smooth and comfortable ride, nothing more. I was wrong, this truck has huge power and can deliver it. The 5.7L engine is excellent. I got about the same delivery as the GX but for a huge mass of metal. There were no time where I felt there is power lacking or it is not timely delivered, just press the pedal and it is ready there. I took two runs on the LX to see how it is with all switches turned on performance (faster response, lower suspension, harder suspension) and one with slowest response, higher suspension (same as Land Cruiser), softer suspension. The surprise was that just ride/handling was significantly affected, the power was still there unchanged just that I had to have more pedal travel. The ride on highway was the best of all test rides. The ride on twisty was second to the GX (no surprise due to its mass) and similar off road. Brakes were a bit under-powered compared to the other rides. The thing we did not like for the interior is the fact that 2nd row seats are not lying flat and that is by a lot - makes sense if you want to have that find of adjustments but a cons for us none the less cause I need space for skis. For that I would have to keep the 3rd row on the car, fold the backs for both 2rd and 3rd row and lay my skis on top - that means I need to protect the seats with something.
Issue and questions:
How bad is the fuel economy in your experience? On paper it's 15/18mpg - not good.
It has so much stuff that I'm afraid a lot can/will go wrong. I have another car with adjustable suspension and that is an expensive maintenance item. What is your experience with them?
Can the 3rd row be easily removed from the car? I do not know because it is powered.
The interior is beautiful in very light colored leather but very high maintenance. Do they come in something easier to maintain?
Was HID available on these cars? If not is it easy to retrofit?
What are the better years for LX?

Last we looked at a 2010 Land Cruiser but did not test drive. Again I did just because it was there and because I'm so found of them (I remember the 1997 ones in red). The inside looks a lot more down to Earth than the LX and wife lover that. The leather was a light blue gray with good thickness - I guess many years of use left in it. Many of the power things in LX are manual here. There is none of the three mentioned adjustments here. It rides at the highest height of the LX. Because I did not drive it I do not know how the suspension behaves. The engine is the same. Looking back I should have test drove it but after so many rides in a very hot day around noon we wheere ready for a break and lunch. They are more expensive than the LX.
Issue and questions:
How is the suspension compared to LX?
Does it have the same issues with teh folding seats I mentioned for the LX?
If I decide on this platform what are the pro and cons between LX and Land Cruiser?
I heard Land Cruiser is going to be discontinued? Is that true? What do you think will happen with these truck prices both now and at resale in a few years?
What are the better years for Land Cruiser?

Here in the eastern Cascades
I'm on the West side :)

Yes, we looked at a crew cab. The regular cab is way too small. Thanks for reminding me about the sand, I forgot about that.
That is a very valuable info: it is cold in the back. Sometimes dreaming makes you forget the practical (obvious) parts that there is no climate conditioning on the truck bed even with a canopy.

I'm very familiar with Subaru (got one and restored for my kid), but looking for something more reliable and longer lasting like the Camry I own. I hope quality has not gone down the drain at Toyota in the last 20 years.

So I went for a test drive yesterday all tests at the same dealer ...

All tests were on the same route on city and rural roads and some very short twisty stuff. Mostly tarmac with a very little bit of forest road like surface on a side of a road - all "off road" we could find in a such a short ride in an urban area. Speeds from 20 to 60 mph.

First was a 2013 GX460 Base. The power and its delivery was awesome for a SUV. Definitely impressed. No drama on delivery, smooth and quiet. Suspension wise very smooth on the straight line almost floaty - unsettling for me used with sporty suspensions (if you are thinking about my Camry, don't, cause it has Tein modified suspension, Outback has much larger upgraded sway bars, and Volvo is road carving beast). The surprise come on the twisty where the float disappeared and there was surprisingly little lean for such a big car! I'll say it here: this was the best suspension for handling twistiest of all test rides! Off road was fine with pleasant ride. Brakes could not be evaluated as the brakes were malfunctioning - huge pedal travel, probably air in the lines, but once engaged they were capable. The turning circle was good but all the other test rides had the same or better. Overall car size it was bigger than what I'm used to but not huge. I liked the seats that are hiding in the floor and the flat cargo floor. I liked the AC in the back. I liked that it does not have a lot of switches and buttons (LX, I'm talking about you) but it still has more than what I'm used to. Could not test the headlights as it was daylight.
Issue and questions:
What kind of suspension design does GX has that is so floaty on highway and not leaning like a boat on twisty? Are they using some kind of electronically controller shocks?
I'm still not sure about the rear door. If I get the GX I'll have to buy a swing arm for my bike racks - $800. I liked that I can open the rear window. Can you drive with it open?
GX should have KDSS, which is why it performed well in the twisty section of your test. I would post your questions in the GX section as it's pretty active, at least more so than the 4runner section from my experience.
If it was me in your situation I would most likely go with the GX460 or possibly the LX. Tailgate feature would be nice to have, but the side opening door isn't that bad either, and makes for a great place to attach a small flip down table for a stove or food preparation whilst camping, or tailgating in the ski resort parking lot if you're into that. Plus you can put an awning over the rear and have a covered food prep area.
I currently have a 4th generation 4Runner with the V8 and a GX470 and love them both, but plan on upgrading the 4Runner to a GX460 for my wife eventually. Similar enough to a 4Runner that I like it, but with more comfort and amenities and a fold flat 3rd row for once the family grows more. Not to mention the V8 is just a much more pleasant driving experience than the V6 4Runners from my time in them. A GX feels like the sweet spot to me, plenty of power and comfort while being big enough for most everything you need, but not so big as a 200 series platform.

Hi all,

I'm new here and you guys were recommended by other Toyota web sites. I already posted this in Club Lexus and Toyota Nation but did not get a lot of traction.

So ... I'm looking for buying advice for a used, Toyota made, high clearance 4x4, that I'm going to use for ski commuting (I'm a ski pro) and for summer camping on unmaintained forest roads.
Why Toyota? Cause I have a '97 Camry (original owner!), an '04 Volvo, and an '09 Outback. Out of all three Toyota has the best reliability and I do not want to buy another restore or performance project car (at least not knowingly :) ).

I'm looking at GX 2nd gen (aka GX460, not sure why should I consider 1st Gen - GX470, but open to suggestions), 4Runner 4th gen (2005-), or Tacoma 2nd gen quad cab. Budget is around 10k, max 30k.

The first question that I have is:
  • how would you compare the vehicles in my list?
Any advice is welcomed as I'm totally new to SUV's ownership. My only driving experience is in rental/friends cars with:
  • all kinds of Jeep Wranglers, 2005 - 2021 models - love the simplicity (on older models) and capability, hate the reliability
  • Mitsubishi Montero - great car for that time, much fun had, but not a good buy today
  • Chevrolet Blazer, 2005 - hated it from the minute I sat in the driver seat
  • Audi Q7, 2016 - excellent driving experience, way too much luxury for me, not much of an off roader for summer camping, huge price
  • Honda Pilot, 2007 - excellent car and super reliable (friends have them), but understandably I'm biased toward Toyotas :)
Thanks a lot!

P.S. How are these vehicles called in here: cars, SUV's, or trucks?
hopping in to sing the praises of the GX. before i got my 470 i tested everything you mentioned and a few things stood out - the power and comfort of the 460 made it something enjoyable to be in for long hauls, with lots of space and still very capable offroad. i had settled on a non-airbag suspension 2010-2013 (pre facelift) for a good mix of price and low maintenance (wanted to avoid airbag issues.) the rear door/ hitch mount gear carrier combo is a bit annoying without a swingout.

in the end i got a screaming deal on a 470 so i went with that.

GX460.

Reactions: r2m
Toyota is going to be the most dependable , I way to many vehicles , my local Toyota dealer had a TRD Pro 4runner become available , was not planing on picking one , no markups , was 56k+ 600 … Still a lot of drough , some dealers are tacking 20k on these is crazy .
I still have my 2020 LC 200 is a great vehicle , I like the simplicity of the controls in the 4runner and love the power back window , can’t go wrong with a 4runner except get the TRD offroad or pro , you want a manual select 4x4 .
As far as jeeps , just traded my 2018 wrangler rubicon gas before the summer and trade value 6k more than I paid for it back in 2018 , very solid plateform 4x4 lots of fun out of the box . Except for the red dash boards .
I traded the 2018 on a 2021 Jeep Wrangler , Rubicon , Diesel … That brought the vehicle to the next level , the diesel is awesome , basiclly has more HP and torque than a 454 came with in my dually I have … driving the jeep with the diesel compared to the 4runner is underpowered .
The Transmission in jeep is only specific to the Diesel is amazing , the ZF transmission is flawless with positive shifts … i’m not one to rave about a power train , its pretty dam good .
If you get a chance to drive a diesel … do it .

I’ll chime in for having driven them all and having owned a GX and a 4Runner… for snow I’d 100% do the GX so you get the full time AWD. And you get the sweet V8.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom