Buying a wrecked fj80 and the drivers rear wheel won't rotate. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, the title is pretty much it. I am buying a 96 fj80 that hit a tree. It has 200k on the odo and is in good condition otherwise. The car has been sitting for 14 months since the accident. Today I tried to roll it up onto a car hauler but the rear drivers side wheel is locked up. I do not have any cell service where the vehicle is so I am posting at my hotel and hoping to get some help before I go back there in the morning.

We have removed the wheel and loosened up the brake caliper. We have not removed it completely. I didn't have enough tools on me to do that today. The guy I am buying it from is having his friend bring some tools. Tomorrow so we should be able to get the brake all the way off.

When the guy parked it 14 months ago it rolled right into the spot where it sat. It did have the parking brake on the entire time it sat. So I also am curious as to if the parking brake is seized on that side.

The one weird thing is you can very very slightly rotate the hub. And I would think if it was locked by thr brake it wouldn't move. But I am talking about like 1/32 of an inch movement. I watched some videos on taking the brake off as well as checking the parking brake.

My main concern is that is it is something else inside the hub, wheel bearing, locked drive shaft, viscous coupler, etc. Does this problem sound like it could be something like that? If so, I don't know how I am going to get it up on the trailer. As it doesn't run currently and we are using a come along to get it up there.

Thanks so much.. You guys have always been so much help. I am sure I will have some answers by the morning.

Regards
Jeff

Honestly sounds like the parking brake is stuck to me. There is a slight amount of movement when engaged, sort of like how you described.

My viscous coupling was locked up when I bought my truck but the movement in the wheels were purely backlash in the diffs. When the handbrake is engaged its just a tiny bit of movement. So this doesn't sound like a VC to me. Good luck!

I would guess that it has rusted the parking brake to the drum. Happens all the time to me when buying old junk cruisers.

Pretty much has to be. OP isn't going to get the hub/rotor to come off with any additional tools if it is rusted.

OP needs to take a brass hammer (or piece of wood and hammer) and strike all around the circumference of the hub portion of the brake rotor to help loosen any rust/debris. Then with a tow strap and another vehicle alternately pull the vehicle backwards and forwards. IF that doesn't free it up then it will just have to be 'skidded' up onto the car hauler.

Pretty much has to be. OP isn't going to get the hub/rotor to come off with any additional tools if it is rusted.

OP needs to take a brass hammer (or piece of wood and hammer) and strike all around the circumference of the hub portion of the brake rotor to help loosen any rust/debris. Then with a tow strap and another vehicle alternately pull the vehicle backwards and forwards. IF that doesn't free it up then it will just have to be 'skidded' up onto the car hauler.
I agree - I'd just skid it up on to the car hauler and deal with it somewhere more convenient. A winch on the hauler is ideal, but a come-a-long will work in a pinch. I've managed to pull a F250 super Duty missing a front wheel (snapped ball joints) on to a trailer with a chain, my hi-lift and some blocks. An 80 series can't be any more of a pain and it at least has all 4 wheels to skid on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom