Buying a LC can't decide b/w 80 or 100 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am posting this in the 80 forum and the 100 forum. I have a line on a 97 fj80 with 177,000 miles on it for about 3500 bucks, but it needs a little work. I also have a line on a 98 100 series with 125,000 miles for about 10k. Both have lockers. My problem is I love the look of the fj80 but I think that a 100 is more practical. I do not put many miles on in a year but I live in northern Michigan and the speed limits are 75 mph here. I also want to take the cruiser on the forest roads and off road park on Drummond Island. I need some opinions here guys to help me decide. Tell me why you think the 80 is better then the 100 or vice versa. Thank you for your opinions.

The draw of the 80 is the slightly smaller size, solid front axle and available factory front locker. If you're style of wheeling and/or build plans doesn't require any of those, the 100 is the better choice.

My opinion, it would be a shame to beat up a low mileage 100 in an off road park. Get the 80, or maybe something even smaller.

I struggled with the same decision a couple of years ago. Obviously I ended up choosing the 100.

I love the 80 and deep down I really wanted it to be my choice. The solid axle handling was familiar to me, front and rear lockers and a timeless body make them hard to resist. But, I was looking for a daily driver that could maintain 80mph in a strong wind when crossing western Kansas on my way to Colorado to run trails. The 80 was unable to do that comfortably just like the Jeep I was replacing. I drove a few 100's and bought one. The 100 has a nicer and more refined interior and far more comfortable on the interstate, better suited for my use. It feels like a big SUV, but it handles like a much smaller vehicle.

Personally I love the 100/200 for its 8 person capacity. Also, a clean 100 feels modern whereas the 80 feels old to me. The 100 engine feels a bit slow to me but upgrading it to a Tundra motor makes it reasonably fast.

My opinion, it would be a shame to beat up a low mileage 100 in an off road park. Get the 80, or maybe something even smaller.

Seems like nice 80s are getting more rare/expensive than 100 series. I like both, the 100 series is nicer, but I like the look, mechanics, and ability to modify much more on an 80 versus a 100. I tried to talk my wife out of her 100 so we could get an 80 but she didn't go for it.

My favorite is the 100s...

...but I live in northern Michigan and the speed limits are 75 mph here.
I've put about 19,000 miles on my 80 in the last 2 years through 34 states - mostly towing a Turtleback trailer. The rig gets to 75 (albeit slower than some) and holds speed just fine. I am on 35's so sometimes I turn overdrive off to keep the trans from hunting but that sweet inline 6 just hums along at 3500-4000 rpm. If that bugs you, go for the Hundy.

Daily driver and moderate off-roading, 100 series hands down.

I have both (80 & 100 series) and like them both...but for different reasons.

So the difference in price is $6500?? That right there seems like a no brainer to me.

That $6500 can solve a lot of problems and buy a lot of parts for the 80.

I read a good quip about this a few days ago...

Paraphrasing here....The 100 is like an all season radial, pretty good at most everything, but doesn't excel at any one particular thing.

80 is more like a M/T tire. If you want to go kick up mud only, get an 80.

I read a good quip about this a few days ago...

Paraphrasing here....The 100 is like an all season radial, pretty good at most everything, but doesn't excel at any one particular thing.

80 is more like a M/T tire. If you want to go kick up mud only, get an 80.

meh..... i'm not sure i'd agree with that at all.

I DD an 80 on 37's and loved it.... only really went to weekend duty when I got a company truck and I put 39's on it.
Now my 100 is a better DD, but not so much that the price difference make me buy the 100 in this situation even if it was just for pavement.
Off road it isn't even close.

100. Try to find 2000 or newer model. 4 pinion front diff, A-TRAC, VSC (safety nannies), and rear AC.

100. Try to find 2000 or newer model. 4 pinion front diff, A-TRAC, VSC (safety nannies), and rear AC.
'99 would be my vote. Rear e-locker > a-trac in my book, and it's practically begging for a front air locker. Also rear AC available.

What? Are you suggesting a 4.7 out of a Tundra makes the 100 "faster"?

Same engines. How would it be faster? Did you get a newer VVti tundra engine?

Last edited:
I like both but I chose the 100 because I can only have 1. I will not do any hardcore off roading. I do have to travel 100s of miles to get to many places to camp and off road where I average over 80mph. This made the 100 the logical choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom