Buying a LC... 80 vs 100, can't decide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am posting this in the 80 forum and the 100 forum. I have a line on a 97 fj80 with 177,000 miles on it for about 3500 bucks, but it needs a little work. I also have a line on a 98 100 series with 125,000 miles for about 10k. Both have lockers. My problem is I love the look of the fj80 but I think that a 100 is more practical. I do not put many miles on in a year but I live in northern Michigan and the speed limits are 75 mph here. I also want to take the cruiser on the forest roads and off road park on Drummond Island. I need some opinions here guys to help me decide. Tell me why you think the 80 is better then the 100 or vice versa. Thank you for your opinions.

:deadhorse:

What 100 had "lockers"? Anyway, for your usage sounds like you would be fine with a Subaru.

Without trying to sound like 80's are anything more than a vehicle, the real answer is that most 80 people have their gunsights on an 80.

Nothing else.

:meh:

Cue @zona...

Bottom line: how old are you? Do you like Tommy Bahama? Did you want to be a cowboy when you were a kid?

Personally, I’d never own another 100. Excellent car. Just boring AF to me.

It is the only Land Cruiser I’ve sold that I was happy to see it leave.

get the 80. I bought a e36 bmw M3 back when i had a chance to buy a pristine E30 M3 for the same price. I have regretted every since soon after the E30 became a collector iconic race car and price sky rocketed. Just saying...

Personally, I’d never own another 100. Excellent car. Just boring AF to me.

It is the only Land Cruiser I’ve sold that I was happy to see it leave.
x2

Had to search to find it...

Zona Cowboy.png

If you’ll be posting more questions like this, 100 series. :flipoff2:

Just kidding. Both are great trucks. The 100 is much more comfortable, has more power, and some of the newer creature comforts. Both have great motors, the 2uz does have a timing belt that has to be changed every 90k. The 80 has a bad reputation with the original head gasket. It really depends of what you want to do with the truck. Hard wheeling, the 80 is better. But don’t think that the 100 can’t do it either. All depends on your intended use.

If it really just fire roads, camping, and family hauling, get the 100.

If you’ll be posting more questions like this, 100 series. :flipoff2:

The 100 is much more comfortable

I wouldn't say so. My 80 is very comfortable and roomy.

I love both of my 80's but I have wheeled a 100 several times. With the right set up they are pretty damn capable even without lockers. Not to mention, you can put your wine glass on the dash without spilling a drop.

I wouldn't say so. My 80 is very comfortable and roomy.
So is mine, and I wouldn’t trade it for a 100 series. That said, for the highway haul, my GX470 was way more comfortable. But I still put almost 30k a year on my 80 :steer:

get the 80. I bought a e36 bmw M3 back when i had a chance to buy a pristine E30 M3 for the same price. I have regretted every since soon after the E30 became a collector iconic race car and price sky rocketed. Just saying...

I bet. I bought a ragged-a$$ E30M3. Still have it.

It's getting a respray late Spring.
Best buy ever.

@OP - there's a certain level of wrenching & such you'll need to do since it's a 20+ yr old rig. If you're thinking short-term, go 100.

If you're done with school, have some time & a few dimes in your pocket & don't dislike wrenching crap, an 80 fits.

IMHO 100s lack soul. They are a lot like my WK Grand Cherokee, which is my DD. I am in the hunt for a clean, relatively low miles, lots of creature comforts, well maintained 80 myself for a DD. Granted if push comes to a very strong shove, I wll relent to a 100, as it will be DD, and probably never see off road.

Drive both and report back. I drove a few 100's and although they were nice I ended up with an 80 because I didn't want payments for something that was going to get dirty or scratched. I also always wanted an 80 (because of looks) and driving one sealed the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom