Buying a Harley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing research, looking at the new Sporter customs, since they now have a stiffer frame and rubber isolation on the engine so they don't vibrate like the 2003 and earlier sports. Plus they have the bigger tanks and look great. This will be my first bike and I want to know if anyone has owned the sports and is there a big difference between the power of the 1200 or the 883. Also if I got an 883 I understand you can increase the power with a 1200 kit? What does that cost?

Last edited:
If you are worried about power, you will be selling your 883 at a loss soon. A friend of my wife didn't last 6 months with hers and she is only 100lbs. She traded it at a big loss for a VTX 1300.

You will not like an 883 if you ride with other HD "bikers". It's what they buy their wives. it's a chick bike and not one serious chicks will ride either.

[Rant]

Don't be a sheep. Get the best bike for the money and fawk what other people think is cool. Overpriced 1930s technology with poor performance, poor dealer support, and poor reliability ain't the best bike for any money.

If you worry about what other people think about you when you ride by them or with them, buy a HD and an H2.

And don't give me a bunch of crap about how much better they are now. Chevy's are better than they were in the 70s too. Doesn't mean they are worth pissing on when you see one on the street.

[/rant]

If you want to buy a HD use the rule of thumb we used to use at the bike shop... Buy the Harley that will both fit on the deck of your boat, and still hold it in place... Every one needs a good anchor.

I agree with with Gumby, F the Harley and invest in a Honda, youll spank any Harley made all day long and will cost you a fraction of the price. Plus you wont have to pay for maint., or clean the oil leaks in your garage...

djoeyd114 said:
If you want to buy a HD use the rule of thumb we used to use at the bike shop... Buy the Harley that will both fit on the deck of your boat, and still hold it in place... Every one needs a good anchor.

I agree with with Gumby, F the Harley and invest in a Honda, youll spank any Harley made all day long and will cost you a fraction of the price. Plus you wont have to pay for maint., or clean the oil leaks in your garage...

Sorry. I'm with the opinions that suggest you pass on the Harley. It's lifestyle bike more of a fashion statement than transportation.

This is the only way to go:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machine/models/model.jsp?model=r1150gs_adv

Drive anywhere and last forever, well. . . a long time anyway.

I'd have one in a minute but I've just done a complete restore on a 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, and, I'm spending a bundle on a Landcruiser right now. Maybe next year.

Sportsers are for chicks...almost.Way under-powered POS.You won't be happy. The best advice is get a used bike that someone else has already spent the $$$ on chrome/Pipes /forward controls ect...you dont get that $ back @ resale which means you get it for free.If you want something a little smaller but still fun....Singing ...."Get on the Night Train". Good luck with it.

I agree you should skip the 883. My buddy rode his for 6 months before upgrading. He didn't loose much money on it, but he still wishes he had just got a real bike to begin with.

You could sure pimp your new 100 for the cost of that bike;)

Harley's are overpriced for what they are. Not reliable, expensive, and they are *NOT* all American made like they try to portray. Many of Harley's parts are made overseas and that is covered up. I'd never buy a newer Harley bike, but I admit that I'd love to have an old Knuckle or Pan.

I used to be silversmith that supplied HD and traveled the country going to all the rallies. I would avoid the sport as well. I only know one guy that is happy with his and he put another 10K into it to get it the way he wanted it. He admits he should have bought a better bike to begin with. I've got another buddy that rides 4 year old honda or yamaha. It's a sweet bike. He paid 3k for it and is always having HD guys drooling over it at stop lights. so unless your looking for another "group" to get involved with and hang out with, I wouldn't buy a HD. the saying among the Harley guys at the rallies was "ride a harley. ride the best, ride a mile and walk the rest". Good luck.

Gumby said:
If you are worried about power, you will be selling your 883 at a loss soon. A friend of my wife didn't last 6 months with hers and she is only 100lbs. She traded it at a big loss for a VTX 1300.

You will not like an 883 if you ride with other HD "bikers". It's what they buy their wives. it's a chick bike and not one serious chicks will ride either.

[Rant]

Don't be a sheep. Get the best bike for the money and fawk what other people think is cool. Overpriced 1930s technology with poor performance, poor dealer support, and poor reliability ain't the best bike for any money.

If you worry about what other people think about you when you ride by them or with them, buy a HD and an H2.

And don't give me a bunch of crap about how much better they are now. Chevy's are better than they were in the 70s too. Doesn't mean they are worth pissing on when you see one on the street.

[/rant]

everything he said....

Harleys :rolleyes: Makes me think of my early-retired aunt and uncle who discovered tattoos, Harleys, leathery sunburnt skin, midieval festivals, salt-n-pepper ponytails, excessive booze-swillin' and went mid-life stark-raving mad. NTTIAWWT, but for Christ's sake, how about a little originality? It's like the lock-step non-conformists from high school...

So . . . to get into the clubhouse, you have to overpay for a loud, untune-able, rich-exhaust-stinking crotch-puncher? And once you get inside the door, the older boys will make fun of your piece?

Hmmmm. I'd look for some other playmates.

I owned a Fatboy and liked it. It rode well and was reliable for the 28,000mls I put on it. After 10 years of ownership it only cost me $1000 to own ($100 a year), excluding fuel, maintenance and insurance. It is not as smooth running a motor as a Honda or BMW but certainly has a great, substantial feel (heavy bike) and the radial V-twin has an nostalgic appeal of its own. I am of the belief that as an investment (you can't really call it that with any motor vehicle that you plan to use), the HD (larger displacement) or BMW would be the wisest choice.

Ride is all a matter of preference and all bikes have an appeal of there own. If I were to buy a Honda or Japanese manufactured bike it wouldn't be of the chromed out, cruiser variety( Harley-want-to-be :censor: ). I would buy the ST or Goldwing. Super smooth and less or no plastic chrome......ugh! Honda sport and dirt bikes are also great.

You need one of each........

BMW - daily driver
KTM - Dirt bike
Honda - Touring
Ducati – Sport bike
HD – Bar to bar bike and to pick up the chicks. :grinpimp: ;)

Victory, made buy Polaris, is more American made than HD if that is a concern of yours.

Well, I guess someone who actually rides and loves HDs should answer as well. I would pass on the 883, the 1200 is much better. You can punch out an 883 to 1200, 2-300 bucks for pistons, a bit to get the jugs bored, and some gaskets. You'll probably want cams and a carb then too, so it'll start getting expensive, and could possibly affect warranty.
If it were me, though, I'd skip the sportys altogether and just go for an FX. They've come way down in price and you get a nice, comfortable, smooth riding, 6 speed, 88" bike that you can throw a windshield and soft bags on and tour, or leave it naked and cruise.

You could always get a used 883 cheap, ride it for a year and dump it if you decide you want a bigger bike.

I guess i will pipe in here also as a happy owner of a Wide Glide. I am very happy with my bike and it does not mark my driveway or has it ever left me stranded even going across country. That being said i would not get the 883 unless you want to trade it in later / sooner. Try a bunch before you buy and see which one fits you the best, which goes for any bike.

There are plenty of "real" bikers who don't like harleys, not everybody likes the same thing. Congrats on finding a bike you like, ride safe (like everyone is out to kill you), and ENJOY! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom