Buying a '91 LC Prado - Cold Weather Advice? (1 Viewer)

Hi, I'm looking at buying a 1991 Land Cruiser Prado EX-5, turbo-diesel and I'm wondering if anybody knows how they handle cold weather - I mean really cold. It was -30 celsius this morning and it's not unusual for it to hit -45. The summers here are hot and dry. I would love any advice I can get on buying this truck and if it will handle my climate. Sounds like it will handle my northern terrain just fine though.
Cheers

from what i understand the 2LT diesel engine is a lemon, with poor cooling, which causes cracked heads and worse.

i would not buy a 91 prado or any of the prado with a 2Lt 2LTe diesel engine, i advice you to do a search on this forum to confirm.

welcome to mud! :flipoff2: mud salute. ;)

Why not? Major issues?
I can't even begin to list how many problems these trucks have. I work on them regularly, I have several dead ones at my shop right now, and more are arriving all the time.

They suffer from injection pump (>$1500), computer (>$1000), sensor ($lot$), cooling system ($500 - $1500), cylinder head (~$4000) and other problems.

Trust me, I have been working on Toyotas for a long time (about 21 years now) and these things are a total nightmare. Avoid them like you would any aggressive form of hemorrhagic fever or plague.

~John

I owned one , till it got stolen and written off. I never had one problem. Stay Away from them . Just Stay Away.
Note that PradoT now owns a "real" 70 series Land Cruiser.

These come with model names like BJ70, BJ71, BJ73 BJ74, HZJ73, HZJ77 (<--looks like a Prado, but is mechanically different and has a 6 cylinder engine).

I am still a huge fan of the HJ60 and HJ61 models, but the HDJ81s are more powerful and comfortable.

~John

Thanks for the advice/warnings - I'm staying away from the Prado. I'll keep looking and check out the other models.

crushers

post ho

i commonly hear:
i can not afford a real LC and the playdo is so much cheaper.

the answer is:
you can not afford NOT to buy a real Land Cruiser

also look at the Pajero, we have sold a few with ZERO warranty issues. we have a 4 door in Calgary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom