1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying 93 FZJ80 with center locking diffs

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bj70alex, Feb 19, 2004.

1. bj70alex

bj70alex

I think I am getting a 93 with lockers and 145K for a good price.
    I do know that I have to do a few things to it, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor, flush the coolant, rebuild the knuckles etc.
    But I have some questions:
    1. The steering wheel makes a some kind of squeaking noise, especially when cold
    2. The rear defroster switch is stuck, cannot turn off.
    3. The driver's side mirror has a slight vibration while driving
    4. Sometimes the open door indicator comes on while driving

Thanks,
    Alex
    85 BJ70

2. 96Cruiser

96Cruiser

Media:
    most important:CONGRATS!!!!

#1:the squeaking is probably the little copper plate that makes a connection for the horn......
    #2:see sleeoffroad.com for how to remove the dash panel,then pull it out and either repair/replace as necessary......the switches may not look like they come apart,but if you are really careful they can sometimes be disasembled and cleaned(really small parts in there),though there might be something broke inside it if its stuck on...
    #3:also see sleeoffroad.com for mirror repair(theres a screw that can be tightened,which may or may not help in some instances.....
    #4:sounds like the switch for the door open/dome light is either dirty or needs replaced(many posts about those i believe)....
    #5:good luck and enjoy

doug

3. Beowulf

Beowulf

Alex,

Pretty common issues.

>> 1. The steering wheel makes a some kind of squeaking noise, especially when cold <<

Since it is non-Air bag, you have a decent chance at repair. There have been a couple of posts describing how to attempt to lube the clock spring mechanism. If unsuccessful, you can buy a new one and replace it fairly easily.

>> 2. The rear defroster switch is stuck, cannot turn off. <<

Probably just the dash switch. Another easy to replace item.

>> 3. The driver's side mirror has a slight vibration while driving <<

There are 2 hooks that the glass assembly hooks to; this piece mounts into the mirror housing. One of these hooks may be broken off or the tab may be broken. Use a dab of silicone to repair. Better instructions are in the archives.

>> 4. Sometimes the open door indicator comes on while driving <<

Usually the switch in the door jam of one of the rear doors. Tighten it up. May take a washer. Shoot some WD40 in the switch while you have it apart.

All minor stuff.
    -B-

4. Riley

Riley

Alex -

Your thread title kinda threw me. I'm not sure if you are confusing locking diffs with the center locking diff. All 80s have a center locking diff.

However front and rear locking diffs was an option. If you're wanting to do some good off-roading then consider the front and rear diff lockers. People will also refer to them as elockers (electric lockers).

Perhaps you knew this but I just wanted to clarify before you cut a check.

Welcome Alex.

Riley

5. bj70alex

bj70alex

Riley,

Yes, you absolutely correct and I did mean the center locking diffs (the switch on the dash next to steering wheel).

Thanks,
    Alex
    85 BJ70

6. Rogue

Rogue

Unless that switch was added by the current owner that truck likely has a semi-floater rear axle and drum brakes without ABS.

I think that is correct. It isn't bad or good, just an FYI...

7. AZcruiser

AZcruiser

Bj - check out the 94 on ebay with 66k miles with lockers....a few posts down.

8. firetruck41

firetruck41

[quote author=bj70alex link=board=2;threadid=11807;start=msg107786#msg107786 date=1077287987]
    Riley,

Yes, you absolutely correct and I did mean the center locking diffs (the switch on the dash next to steering wheel).

Thanks,
    Alex
    85 BJ70

[/quote]
    Center Locking diff has no switch on the 93 (unless it is a very early model, as Rogue alluded to), it is automatically engaged when you go into 4 low. You can add the center diff switch, which is (usually) mounted in the center "stack" by the antenna switch or by the rear heater switch for ~ $70, then you can engage/disengage at will.

The rotary switch next to the steering wheel is the switch for Front/Rear diff locks, very desirable.

A little confused by your post, but if you are saying you have the Rotary switch to the left of the steering wheel, then you've got all the diff locks as well as 4 wheel disc, full floater rear axle, etc.

9. Rogue

Rogue

So, does it have just a center locking diff or di it come with front and rear selectable lockers?

If it has this switch, it has F&R selectables, if not you will only get the center locking differential.
    [​IMG]

10. BMT

BMT

Does it have drums in the back or discs?

11. bj70alex

bj70alex

Guys,

Thanks for all the replys. I will be asking more questions in the near future and a few now.
    I did buy it (there is a rotary switch next to the steering wheel for Front/Rear diff locks) and brought her home.

1. when the engine is warm and the truck was driven for about 60 miles, where the oil pressure indicator should be after, let's say you got off the freeway and stopped, mine was just below the first mark. Is it too low or it's normal. But while doing about 65 -70mph, the guage was at the third mark.
    2. After I bought it, I went to do oil change. Parked the car and didn't lock the doors. After about 10 - 15 minutes, the alarm went off. I don't know where the problem might be?

Thanks a lot,
    Alex
    85 BJ70
    93 FZJ80

12. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

1. oil pressure is normal

2. best of luck with the alarm

13. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Did you happen to have your head under the hood when the alarm went off? :) I was picturing myself under the hood (trying to find my way around) when the alarm goes off and scares the shiite out of me. It's not very user friendly. :beer:

14. 4RUNNERJADE

4RUNNERJADE

probley the same door pin that goes on and sais a door
    1 out of 4
    is ajar
    kids re shut your doors,

oops sorry, it's mine that was ajar,
    he he

hint,roll down a window like 1/2 " then shut the doors,
    it helped

15. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

By chance did you have the key fob in your pocket? If the button gets pressed for a few seconds it sounds the alarm in panic mode. Very easy to have happen if you're crawling around under the vehicle.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">