Buying 1991 FJ80 Made for JDM - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time reader, first time poster. Never really posted on any forums before so please forgive any rookie poster mistakes.

I'm finally buying (hopefully) my very first TLC. This guy in my area imports a bunch of vehicles from Japan and resells them. He's got his hands on a 1991 FJ80 VX lmt for sale and im having it gone through a pre-purchase inspections now. Im a little sketched out its coming from japan and just wanted to know yalls thoughts, advice, anything that might be useful on fj80s coming from japan.

The first really big red flag i got is that it has the triple lock dial (its a '91 so obviously cant have lockers). I saw online sometimes they just buy the dial and stick it in to fool people but the trans./axle # says this: A440F K294....which from my understanding K294 is the magic #. But its a 1991, it cant have lockers (factory) so my question is why does it say K294? Also is sticking that dial in something common they do in japan or is it commonly done state side after bought in Japan?

Any help, thoughts or just your 2 cents on the matter would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Trans #.jpg

As they said, any/all options were available in Japan. Since the guy is in your area, you could go look and stick your head under the truck to be 100% sure.

As they said, any/all options were available in Japan. Since the guy is in your area, you could go look and stick your head under the truck to be 100% sure.
JDM cruisers could have lockers. They were not a US option until 93.
Gotcha, so thats where my wires were getting crossed.

Yeah Im taking a look at in a couple days and was gonna check, just wanted to get all my ducks in a row before.

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom