Buyer Beware: Fake Triple Locked 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep the dial and hook it up to arbs the wiring is in the truck that you need, for arb or harrop

My 97 LX with 90 K miles wasn't triple locked when I got it seven years ago. Axles swapped and I have the magic dial. Like you I picked the truck up for a very reasonable price. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Folks are so hung up on factory lockers and they're just SO mediocre. I would consider yourself ahead of the game with a clean truck. Drop in some ARBs, Eatons, etc. and regear while you're in there. The options abound and they all work better than the "prized" factory lockers, and you'll never look back.

I learned back in my 3rd gen 4runner days that you climb under the rig and look that locker mechanism in the eye before you take anybody's word for it :hillbilly:

I learned back in my 3rd gen 4runner days that you climb under the rig and look that locker mechanism in the eye before you take anybody's word for it :hillbilly:

Exactly right. I could put a 'Turbo-Charged' badge on my fender....but that doesn't make it so. ;)

And....on older vehicles (most which have had multiple owners), just because your vehicle left the factory with something, doesn't mean it's still there. Anything could have been added or deleted. It is well to be the 'educated' buyer before making a purchase.

I have looked at several over the years with the locker dial installed. I usually look underneath and the door tag.

I learned a similar lesson early on. I bought an 80 that supposedly had ARB lockers in it. It was plumbed with a compressor front and rear. During testing everything seemed to work. I learned later the rear air line was just blowing air into the rear diff. The rear had a lunch box locker in it instead. The front did have an arb in it. I look and dig a lot deeper now when checking out a vehicle.

I learned a similar lesson early on. I bought an 80 that supposedly had ARB lockers in it. It was plumbed with a compressor front and rear. During testing everything seemed to work. I learned later the rear air line was just blowing air into the rear diff. The rear had a lunch box locker in it instead. The front did have an arb in it. I look and dig a lot deeper now when checking out a vehicle.

Now THAT would be purposeful 'deception' (if represented as having both front and rear ARB's).

Now THAT would be purposeful 'deception' (if represented as having both front and rear ARB's).
Yeah, I was disappointed to say the least but I learned a lesson that day.

Wow, it would be hard not to hunt that guy down and punch him in the ****. Super shady there.

My 97 LX with 90 K miles wasn't triple locked when I got it seven years ago. Axles swapped and I have the magic dial. Like you I picked the truck up for a very reasonable price. Sounds like you're off to a great start.
I know of a shop in Phoenix that has done that swap on several 292 rigs. If you really want OEM lockers it can certainly be done. ;):clap::clap::clap:

Yeah, I was disappointed to say the least but I learned a lesson that day.

I suppose 'technically' the rear is an 'air locker' too....since both elements are present? ;) :rolleyes:

The former owner might not have known any better either. He might well have sold it in good faith (having never tried to use the supposed lockers himself).

Also.....K292 by itself does NOT mean the vehicle doesn't have lockers. It just means it wasn't equipped that way from the factory. Same holds true for a K294 vehicle, until you LOOK underneath you have no idea what kind of differential is there. These are older vehicles, most with multiple owners. Anything could have been changed.

It's a simple matter to add lockers and use the OEM switch to activate them (electric, selectable).

View attachment 2630276
@flintknapper - Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering the same thing. What should I look for underneath?

@flintknapper - Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering the same thing. What should I look for underneath?
The actuator on the axles.
1617204399812.png

@retrofive, thanks for that. Am traveling now but will take a look when I get home. I doubt the actuator is there given the circumstances but you never know.

The actuator on the axles.
View attachment 2631666
^^^^

As above for Factory lockers. But also note if there are any air lines or electrical lines going directly to the the differential. All the other lockers (selectable) are either air lockers or electric.

Aftermarket lockers will not have large external actuators. But the absence of the factory actuators is again not 'proof' of every locker that might be installed,

Then lastly, there are automatic (mechanical) lockers/limited slip devices that 'could' be in place. A test for that can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom