Buyer Beware - Cody Warner - cwwfj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TL;DR - Bought a transmission from Cody and it ends up being sketchy. Politely ask to return it, won't take it back. Be careful if you buy anything from him.

Here is the for sale thread:

My old transmission got water in it during a deep crossing last year while getting the family to safety when Tropical Storm Imelda hit. I would usually do this kinda of work myself but things still aren't back to normal since our house flooded. I tow my Land Cruiser to Circle D in Houston to see if there is anything they can do, but it's DOA. I ask if they can rebuild it but told they aren't familiar with the transmission and would rather not attempt to rebuild it. They ask if I would let them try to source me a rebuilt transmission, sounds good to me I tell them! But they can't find one. They even offered to call around to other shops they know of who do good work and see if they would rebuild it, but no luck there either. They then offer to swap it out for me if I brought them a transmission.

After a short search on the forum, I find Cody only 5 hours away and he has a transmission with only 99k miles. I'm told it came from CruiserYard, it was a running vehicle and had no issues that he was aware of. Perfect!

After getting it back home and then dropping it off to Circle D, they suggested removing the pan and filter and seeing how it looks inside. I get a couple pictures later that day along with a recommendation to not install the transmission. There is a good amount of clutch material in the filter and the pan doesn't look any better. They say if this transmission didn't have issues before being pulled then it wouldn't have been long before it did if they swap it in.

1NpRFMm.jpg

k6UXcB2.jpg

I send Cody the pictures and asked if he would be willing to let me return it. He tells me no and that there is nothing that concerns him in the pictures. I should put a new filter in, flush it out, and install it. I ask if he would take the gamble, knowing that the shop that repairs and rebuilds transmission day in and day out, suggests not spending the money on a new torque converter and the labor to swap it all out. Cody says he wouldn't gamble all that money on it if he were in this situation.

I then get a lecture about how I'm taking profit from my mechanic by having him swap them out instead of rebuild mine. He also goes back and forth several times between the transmission is good and just go with it, and find someone to rebuild it.

To be fair, he did end up offering to give me any number of parts from his 5 other transmissions if there was something broken or unusable in the transmission. :clap:

Also to be fair, I know there is always a risk when buying used. He didn't guarantee anything, he's not obligated to take it back, he's not obligated to return the money. It's a bummer that the first time this happens is from a fellow Mud member. This is the kind of stuff that you'd expect from Craigslist.

Be careful out there fellas. I can share the text exchange if anyone is interested. :beer:

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

I’ve had dozens and dozens of transactions with Cody spanning many years and would recommend him to everyone.

No need to “be careful fellas” when dealing with him.
Also good to know.

I’m annoyed that I’m still having to discuss this, Richard, we have discussed this ad nauseam.

facts:

- 23 year old transmission, 100k.

- you’ve shown me only some dirty material in the trans pan that you had your mechanic open. You didn’t open in front of me and you gladly paid me cash and hauled it away....I can’t do much from this point on.

- if your character had remained intact and you had shown me clear evidence of damage or something I was unaware of, I would entertain helping you out, or even refunding your money.

- paying thousands to a mechanic to swap in a used trans into your 80 is a gamble, period.

-You stated your mechanic is unfamiliar with Toyota’s, poor decision again.

If anyone in this forum sees me in the wrong, please let me know...I would listen to someone supporting @VuickB6 point of view

Last edited:
I never expected to see Cody's name in this section, ever.

He has worked on my FJ73, PZJ70 and also my HZJ77 over the years and never had a problem with him or his work.

As someone who knows Cody first as a customer of his and now also a friend, I am going to side with @cruiserjunktion on this one. No need to "be careful fellas" when dealing with Cody.

I’m annoyed that I’m still having to discuss this, Richard, we have discussed this ad nauseam.

I tried to work this out with you. You ended up not responding to my last texts so I figured you were done discussing it.

facts:

- 23 year old transmission, 100k.

Say that you buy a 23 year old Land Cruiser with 100k miles, what expectations are there? These trucks have a reputation for a reason, do they not? Mine had 205k when I bought it and has been driven all over the country to every trail and back home. It has 305k and has never had an issue until now, and it's only due to flood waters. There is a reasonable expectation you'll get use out of something like this. 100k is nothing on these transmissions.

- you’ve shown me only some dirty material in the trans pan that you had your mechanic open. You didn’t open in front of me and you gladly paid me cash and hauled it away....I can’t do much from this point on.

I wasn't really equipped to pull a pan to verify it was problem free, so yeah that's on me.

- if your character had remained intact and you had shown me clear evidence of damage or something I was unaware of, I would entertain helping you out, or even refunding your money.

Not sure what you mean here, what text did I send you that wasn't civil? I never tried to claim you knowingly sold me a bad transmission. I never demanded anything from you. I was polite from beginning to end.

Plus, you did end up offering to help me with more parts like I already stated in my original post.

- paying thousands to a mechanic to swap in a used trans into your 80 is a gamble, period.

It doesn't matter if I swap it in or have my shop do it, the gamble is solely on the transmission.

-You stated your mechanic is unfamiliar with Toyota’s, poor decision again.

Is there something inherently complex about swapping out these transmissions? I said he's unfamiliar with rebuilding these particular transmissions, not Toyota in general.

If anyone in this forum sees me in the wrong, please let me know...I would listen to someone supporting @VuickB6 point of view

My point of view? All I did was relay information from the transmission shop and asked if I could return the transmission. This isn't my opinion vs yours, this is a place that services and rebuilds transmissions only telling me not to put that transmission in. And all you have told me is that in your opinion, a pan and filter with that much clutch material is ok.

You're trying to say I made poor decisions, but ignoring what they say and having them put that transmission in sounds like the biggest one. If YOU could convince me that they're wrong, I would listen. But every time I asked you for a good reason, you would move the goal post back and tell me I should just have it rebuilt.

@cwwfj60

I never expected to see Cody's name in this section, ever.

He has worked on my FJ73, PZJ70 and also my HZJ77 over the years and never had a problem with him or his work.

As someone who knows Cody first as a customer of his and now also a friend, I am going to side with @cruiserjunktion on this one. No need to "be careful fellas" when dealing with Cody.

I never said anything about the work he does or how good of a friend he is.

But I'll ask you this since you're a friend of his, would you or even @cruiserjunktion be having this same issue returning it if either of you had bought this transmission from him? I know which answer my money would be on.

Also, this obviously isn't meant as a warning to his friends. This is meant for the people like me who don't know him and are looking for parts in the classifieds.

@VuickB6

I tried to work this out with you. You ended up not responding to my last texts so I figured you were done discussing it.

Your texts circle around to saying the same thing over and over. I don’t have time to be this repetitive. I stop responding when the conversation stops being productive.

Say that you buy a 23 year old Land Cruiser with 100k miles, what expectations are there?

Intact, functioning transmission.

Not sure what you mean here, what text did I send you that wasn't civil? I never tried to claim you knowingly sold me a bad transmission. I never demanded anything from you. I was polite from beginning to end.

We are HERE, publicly discussing your issues on Ih8mud bad seller forum. I don’t deserve to be listed here over this. I’m willing and receptive to hear your issues, I communicated with you, I entertained your concerns. Show me something new or express a legitimate concern and I’m all ears.

My point of view? All I did was relay information from the transmission shop and asked if I could return the transmission. This isn't my opinion vs yours, this is a place that services and rebuilds transmissions only telling me not to put that transmission in. And all you have told me is that in your opinion, a pan and filter with that much clutch material is ok.

You're trying to say I made poor decisions, but ignoring what they say and having them put that transmission in sounds like the biggest one. If YOU could convince me that they're wrong, I would listen. But every time I asked you for a good reason, you would move the goal post back and tell me I should just have it rebuilt.

I am done trying to convince you of anything. Do what you want.

All this and we dont even know if the tranny is good or bad. If we know it came out of a running vehicle, change the filter, put it in and run it. Dealing with old cars takes a certain amount of risk. If you cant deal with that get a new car. Dont put your risk on someone else. The shop may not want to get involved because they have been here before. You dont get it, and blame them later for a poor install.

To the seller....you cant please everyone, move on.

It was going in circles because you never could give me a good reason to believe you over the transmission shop, and you still can't.

Same with the others that posted here. It's easy for you to speculate when it's not your money. But once again, no one can come up with a good answer besides change the fluid and filter and go with it.

I have a 24 year old VW diesel with 535k miles on it that I drive daily, along with 2 other vehicles that are 1991 models. If I wasn't aware of the risks and able to deal with them then I wouldn't own them. The risk with a used transmission was not lost on me. It didn't work out, I'll figure it out.

But trying to say you don't deserve at least a buyer beware thread is pretty silly. I'm not trying to make you out to be an intentional scammer.

:beer:

C5BC0ECE-BEED-431B-A1A7-62D8BFCA187A.jpeg

Richard... just because a shop won’t “do it” or won’t “recommend it”, doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the transmission. How many of us have tried to get a tire shop to mount tires and have heard the same thing?

I know Cody well, I would trust him and his knowledge base over just about ANY other shop out there. He was born under a Land Cruiser man. He knows what he’s talking about. If he says run it, then I would. I’m willing to bet if you had any issues afterwards, he would have gladly helped you resolve them.

After 99k miles, a little debris in the filter and pan is normal, it’s why the filter is there in the first place. If you want to have absolute confidence in your transmission, have it rebuilt. But for Christ sake, take it to a different shop. Obviously your guy is admitting he is incompetent when it comes to Toyota transmissions. This is also probably an indication of how rarely they actually go bad.

All in all, you really come off sounding like a Karen. This isn’t Walmart. You can’t just bring your toaster back because your experts found crumbs in the tray. You bought a used transmission that you already admitted was under the standard “as is” guidelines. Cody has listened and offered everything but your money back and you’re still not satisfied. All you have proven as that other sellers should avoid YOU.

I’d save yourself some more abuse and just delete this post. Then find another shop to install that transmission. It’ll be fine. Good luck man.

Look for a LC specialty shop to put it in for you if the shop you work with has no confidence and don't know much about Toyota tranny, 80 tranny seldom go bad, clean the pan out, replace filter, put it on and drive the hell out of it!!

@Vuichave you read the stuff you are writing when you are sober???

You bought a used transmission and you expect it not to be used WTF ... it is because of people like you who suck as a customer that good people and shops get screwed over. The dude you bought it off has bent over backwards to help you out and you even admit it was used and he never said it had a warranty implied or otherwise.

You need to have a good hard look at yourself and delete this BS post as no way in hell does it deserve to be in the bad sellers forum. If anything you should start a new post - customers who bitchband unrealistic buyers and list yourself ...

Take it from a guy you have never met and knows neither you or the seller but you sound like a complete clown ... just saying since you posted in here and you may want an unbiased opinion.

@cwwfj60 .. you got any cool s*** I can buy off you ? I will even PayPal it as friends and family as u seem like a stand up guy .. thumbs up for putting up with as much s*** as you have from this clown .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom