Buy from Slee or save some money? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I understand fully that cheap and good aren't the same thing. I've been fully planning to purchase an OME lift for the 80 from Slee... However I got to looking and Liquid Offroad is less on the lift ($61) and the shipping ($5) working out to $66 savings.. Now that's a lot of coin, it would take my wife 45 minutes to blow $66 on bras at Victorias Secret!! And at least I'd get something out of that.. So what gives? Is there any advantage to buying from Slee when the same thing is a lot less someplace else?

Member List Check: sleeoffroad, 1291 posts....Liquid OffRoad, 2 posts

I talked with Christo last night, will be ordering mine thru him in July...when I have questions, Christo is on the forum damn near daily for advice....I don't know how many install projects Liquid has done in their shop, I know Christo is working on a magazine writeup right now, and has done dozens of installs..

IMO, service trumps price every time...

What Woody said. Plus Slee continues to support the sport and TLCA by advertising in Trails.

TJK

I don't get this?

Slee is clearly in a position of experience and with that I mean first hand. Furthermore he is only a phone call away (unless you are in ZA and Slee is sleeping ;) ) There is no question in my mind that Slee's products are good, his knowledge on them is excellent and a mere $66 savings does by no account justify even asking the question.

Buy from Slee and get it done right... the first time.

Morne (kicking the soap box back under the bed again)

I bought mine from Slee. Christo is always available to answer phone calls and Robbie (From slee) is always here helping folks with their tech questions. If you have a problem or a question while installing it, Slee will be there. Slee knows cruisers.

Buy it from who ever you like...if $66 is that important to you buy it from liquid...but don't call Slee and ask for advice when you have a question post sale. Make you bed and sleep in it. :rolleyes:

Hopefully this won't get brought up over and over....oh wait it has....at least he isn't asking here to see if Slee will price match. :rolleyes:

So can the 80-Tech section take a poll and "OFFICIALLY" recommend Slee for lifts? Like in a sticky...recommended dealers....Lifts - Slee (with link), Sliders - Hanna or Slee (with links), General parts - C-Dan. I know there is the vendors and advertisments forums and pages but ummm...lets just say not everyone "gets it" (the whole forum thing).

Ok now guys - where I'm in total agreement that Slee runs a great shop and does wonderful things for the community etc. There are a whole lot of cruisers outside of 80 land and Robert at Liquid Offroad does his part in supporting the community as well. His shop stocks a lot of great 40/55/60 parts (including body panels), contributes to the LSLC, and has organized several Paki top group buys. Just because he doesn't post on MUD doesn't mean he's not a good guy ... still a local shop supporting the Cruiser community.

My $.02 ...

Tucker

a mere $66 savings does by no account justify even asking the question.

Buy from Slee and get it done right... the first time.

WOW!! This almost makes it sound like Slee will put them on for me! Since it's the same parts from both, fairly easy to install and I saw nothing from Slees site saying they would walk me through an install over the phone I'd just assumed and maybe wrongly that I was getting the same thing. I've never dealt with either, couldn't see why Slee charged more on shipping but was closer to me. When I called both asking about the lifts Robert at Liquid was much friendlier to deal with and told me to call with any issues... The fellow at Slee was nice as well but seemed like I was asking things I should already know... Just figured I'd try to find out what the deal was as I'm new to Cruisers and would like to establish a relationship with one vendor for my business..

Don't beat me up over this, honestly wasn't trying to offend. I thought there may be something I was missing or some reason for the price difference.

As for a mere $66, that's almost 10%!!!! I wish I had that kinda money where spending a mere 10% more for the same exact thing was no big deal to me, must be nice!!! Hell for $66 I can almost get my windows tinted!

sonoranfun said:
WOW!! This almost makes it sound like Slee will put them on for me! Since it's the same parts from both, fairly easy to install and I saw nothing from Slees site saying they would walk me through an install over the phone I'd just assumed and maybe wrongly that I was getting the same thing. I've never dealt with either, couldn't see why Slee charged more on shipping but was closer to me. When I called both asking about the lifts Robert at Liquid was much friendlier to deal with and told me to call with any issues... The fellow at Slee was nice as well but seemed like I was asking things I should already know... Just figured I'd try to find out what the deal was as I'm new to Cruisers and would like to establish a relationship with one vendor for my business..

Don't beat me up over this, honestly wasn't trying to offend. I thought there may be something I was missing or some reason for the price difference.

As for a mere $66, that's almost 10%!!!! I wish I had that kinda money where spending a mere 10% more for the same exact thing was no big deal to me, must be nice!!! Hell for $66 I can almost get my windows tinted!

Actually you sound like the type of customer that Christo does not need. Go ahead and buy your stuff the cheap way, just don't expect any service nor the expertise of telling you which spring rate is best for your truck or anything else.

Junk said:
Actually you sound like the type of customer that Christo does not need. Go ahead and buy your stuff the cheap way, just don't expect any service nor the expertise of telling you which spring rate is best for your truck or anything else.
Man - now you guys are dumping on local shops ... I understand 4WP, Rocky Road, and 4X4 Connection ... I'm with you there - but don't beat up on the local shop. I've bought stuff from both - just try and get some piggy parts from Christo (and lpb parts Junk). I also support both Marks (65swb45 & Helocat), Dave (Urban), and Kurt ... does that make me a fawking cheapskate who shouldn't buy from Slee. Guess I better send my stuff back :rolleyes:

Tucker

sonoranfun said:
it would take my wife 45 minutes to blow $66 on bras at Victorias Secret!! And at least I'd get something out of that..

I don't know about you personally but I only get something out of that once it comes off. :D I only get something out of my lift once it has been put on. ;)

sonoranfun said:
So what gives? Is there any advantage to buying from Slee when the same thing is a lot less someplace else?

While your trying to put said lift on, Christo and Slee's staff will be there for you to walk you through any problems you are having. I don't know anything about liquid so no slam here, what I do know is that when it comes to 80's Slee is the shop that is in the forfront and has more knowledge than anyone in the industry. They practically invented the 80's mod's that today seem commonplace.

Doesn't you wife have enough bra's already.

I bought my lift, front bumper and winch from Charley at Chimney Canyon 4x4 in SD. Christo is also a friend of mine. I didn't buy from Charley to save a buck but rather support another vendor that also supports TLCA and the Cruiser community. I did buy my sliders, rear bumper, skid plates and numerous other things from Christo. All that said, my point is I will only support folks who support TLCA and the Cruiser community! I don't know anything about Robert or Liquid but if he indeed supports "us" then by all means support him! But I also agree with others that whomever you buy from they are the ones you need to pester for customer support on that product! Good luck on you decision!

From the little I understand about pricing, Slee is a vendor that plays by the rules and adheres to a manufacturer's stipulation for advertised pricing. But that doesn't mean he can't budge on the price.

tucker74 said:
Man - now you guys are dumping on local shops ... I understand 4WP, Rocky Road, and 4X4 Connection ... I'm with you there - but don't beat up on the local shop. I've bought stuff from both - just try and get some piggy parts from Christo (and lpb parts Junk). I also support both Marks (65swb45 & Helocat), Dave (Urban), and Kurt ... does that make me a fawking cheapskate who shouldn't buy from Slee. Guess I better send my stuff back :rolleyes:

Tucker

Pull it together sparkie, no one is dumping on your local shops. Just that Slee has more experience matching the spring rates to the specific applications - more than anyone else around. Buy your crap wherever you want - I don't care. Just keep in mind that if you buy it from someone that doesn't have the knowledge to match it up then too bad for you.

tucker74 said:
Guess I need some more coffee :flipoff2: I know you support your local guys ... and agree Christo is the man for 80s ... just got pissed when the "auto response" went on with a question about a local shop.

Tucker

Nope, no auto response here - response based on the thread originators typical tone and approach. Personally I really don't give a hoot where someone like him buys his crap, but if he buys it somewhere else then comes here and complains it's a harsh ride or blah blah blah it gets old quick.

No question-for 80 specific stuff buy from Slee Offroad. Those guys are there for you, and will go out of their way to help you with service and questions. Remember too that they are the innovators of much of the 80 series specific gear. I can't say enough good things about them, they deserve your business. If $66 makes a difference to you, get rid of the 80 series now!

Are you comparing against the "package price"?

I mean Christo offers a package with the bushings and Christo's special tool to press out the bushings. That tool is pretty useful and while when you look at, doesn't look like it's worth $60, it makes life a lot easier and faster when replacing bushings. You could spend a lot of time fiddling around on the press to remove the old bushings without it.

I suggest buying the package from Christo but whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom