But it's a Jeep! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a Jeep and they are gonna say "What are you gonna do about it, you bought it now you have to take the rapings that go with it."

ahhh...but was it a Trail Rated heep?

Hah! I first experienced this in 1989. I had a 1976 FJ-40 and a buddy just got a brand new Heep and was constantly bragging about how bad-a$$ it was off road. So we head out to the local trails (old logging roads - this is in So OH) and go through a whole bunch of deep muddy ruts, pools, creek crossings, etc. By the end of the day, I had to admit that it did pretty well.

THEN - about two days later the drivetrain starts making it's first death squeals. By the end of the day it is motionless. The Heep is less than a month off the lot, gets dragged to the dealership where they tell him the tranny and xfer are toast and both diffs are in sad shape. They say there's a lot of mud and water contamination that's the cause.

They say "Not covered under warrantee."

He says "What do you mean? It's a Heep!"

They say "It's been off road."

I couldn't believe it then and I can't believe it now, but that is the TRUTH. Makes you wonder why anyone bothers with them...

the light is on, but nobody's home...
:D

so what

This eternal Jeep hatred is so ridiculous. All s*** breaks. This site used to be a nice place to be with people who were accepting of all things 4x4. I understand the Toyota forum thing but come one. I spent about and hour outside today looking at Hodag's 60. The problem was a 6 month old OEM Toyota dist. cap. Too bad he didn't get the cheapest one he could find at auto zone or something. I didn't think that could be it as the cap was so new. My buddy's cherokee is out in the driveway for me to put u joints in it. 295k miles on the originals. No significant repairs at all. Hoses, belts, brakes.
I would like to see someone compare the Toyotas to something else. How about a FJ40 to a Pinz or a Volvo C303?

Gumby said:
DING< DING< DING

WE HAVE A WINNER!

this does'nt suprise me one bit, don't know why anybody else is:confused: . i mean come on, it's chrysler?

1.they advertise an offroad vehicle, in fact that is the basis for their ads.
2.they make crappy vehicles.

that policy is pretty smart on their behalf actually.
if they actually fixed their stuff, they would either:
A. be making better stuff:doh:
B. be out LOTS of money

clownmidget said:
The Heep is less than a month off the lot, gets dragged to the dealership where they tell him the tranny and xfer are toast and both diffs are in sad shape. They say there's a lot of mud and water contamination that's the cause.

I don't think that ANY manufacturer would cover that, not just Jeep. If you contaminate the fluids in the gearboxes why would that be covered under warranty?

75pinz said:
This eternal Jeep hatred is so ridiculous. All s*** breaks. This site used to be a nice place to be with people who were accepting of all things 4x4. I understand the Toyota forum thing but come one. I spent about and hour outside today looking at Hodag's 60. The problem was a 6 month old OEM Toyota dist. cap. Too bad he didn't get the cheapest one he could find at auto zone or something. I didn't think that could be it as the cap was so new. My buddy's cherokee is out in the driveway for me to put u joints in it. 295k miles on the originals. No significant repairs at all. Hoses, belts, brakes.
I would like to see someone compare the Toyotas to something else. How about a FJ40 to a Pinz or a Volvo C303?

this place never liked heeps.

the average heep does'nt see 200K without serious help
the average toyota will see 200K without serious help.
those are facts. find two more heeps that made it that far, with the same effort.
just about everybody here has over 100K, many have 200K, 250K is not un-usual. dig alittle and 300K will turn up a few times. i myself had an 86 with 350K.

so you want to compare a truck marketed to a civil market, with a 20 some year production run.
to a couple of trucks marketed to a foreign armed force, one of which only had a 6 year production run? not mention they are both a slightly heavier duty machine.

remember, apples to apple and oranges to oranges:idea:

Last edited:
75pinz said:

Comparing a Toyota to a Jeep is applicable. They are both mass marketed vehicles targeted towards a consumer.

Comparing a Toyota to a Pinz or Volvo C303 isn't as applicable. The latter two are military vehicles, who just about do only one thing well: off road.

Besides, the original post showed no hate. I mean, don't YOU think it's ironic that if you do the one thing almost all Jeep ads depict their vehicles doing, you void your warranty?

That's the thing. If you advertise it can be completely submerged as Jeep has done in two seperate commercials, then why would you mount the ECM on the front left corner of the engine compartment without so little as a shield around it?
Why would you have no breather extensions to keep that mud out of the axle and transfer case?
How could you, with any concience, advertise a vehicle as Trail Rated and void the warrenty if it shows signs of having been off road?
The Rubicon is touted as "A wheeler with a warrenty" apparently it's one or the other.

They should be forced to put a disclaimer on their ads - "Warrenty null and void if taken off the pavement"

and I've always hated Jeeps and never have claimed otherwise.

And I've been around here for a while.

Jeeps suck. Fxxxin whiner. Look, you misguided oaf, if you want that pinz or volvo s***, go there. This s*** is landcruiser. Yer on a effin landcruiser site. See the logo? EXCLUSIVELY LANDCRUISERS! Did you fxxxing graduate?

75pinz said:

Hi All:

Whoa Texx! Time to switch to decaf! ;)

"75PINZ" is right: "all s*** breaks." The real question is why D-C advertises the Jeep product line as "trail ready" and features its vehicles fording deep streams, underwater, etc. then voids the warranty when their dip**** customers actually tries to 'wheel their heap!

The 40/45 0r 70/75 Series TLC is a better all-around vehicle then most any military vehicle of that era; too often the military vehicles are very biased towards off-road, yet are driven on tarmac or graded roads 90% of their time!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Texx" wrote:

Jeeps suck. Fxxxin whiner. Look, you misguided oaf, if you want that pinz or volvo s***, go there. This s*** is landcruiser. Yer on a effin landcruiser site. See the logo? EXCLUSIVELY LANDCRUISERS! Did you fxxxing graduate?

75pinz said:
I spent about and hour outside today looking at Hodag's 60. How about a FJ40 to a Pinz or a Volvo C303?

Hi, you are in Omaha, too? Hi there!

I compare my cruiser to a younger Chevy K5, but I can't reveal the outcome, it might be in TT soon :D

Jeep? I have sometimes tought maybe I should go 'postal' (as in: get me one of those driving square white boxes......cheap, I assume)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom