Buster Brown won't hold his belt up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Comet

Knower of little, master of less.
SILVER Star
Threads
Kinda stumped but I think I know the answer. 2F engine with air conditioning, smog pump is gone. I am using the AC bracket and a lot of force to tighten the belt. Problem is that it smells like the belt was burning on longer drives. Looked under the hood and the belt had jumped off the pulley and was riding on the AC locker thingy (technical term for the piece of the AC pulley that locks up with a charge sent to it). It seems that the AC compressor is just a bit misaligned.

Question: If I get the JimC pulley for a de-smogged truck, will that help me provide proper tension on the AC compressor? Also, how do I align the compressor properly? I question if the compressor is even native to this truck. There is some angle iron providing rigidity to the mount.

Oh, and I didn't take any pictures before I left the house for the week.

Sounds like you might be confused on belt routing?

Smog pump/JimC pulley is the tensioner for the waterpump. A/C runs directly off the crank and has its own adjuster and the idler pulley mounts below. Alternator/PS is the last belt.

Take all the belts off and start with the A/C belt and adjust so tension is at its loosest but does not make noise under any load. They don't need to be very tight. Repeat for the rest.

Also, ensure all pulleys spin freely prior to belt installation.

belt-routing-jpg.171506

I am running the Alternator (AL) that provides tensioner, Power steering (VP), and the crankshaft (CK) on one belt.

I am running the compressor (CC), water pump (WP), and the crankshaft (CK) on one belt.

Air pump is gone.

IMG_7018.JPG

IMG_7019 (1).JPG

What happens on MUD stays on MUD!!!! ;)

So how would I tension the belt for the CC to the CK?

Looks like the JimC pulley would be easiest for the WP and CK.

I guess I have taken my "Less is more" too far this time. Need a pulley and a third belt?

What happens on MUD stays on MUD!!!! ;)

So how would I tension the belt for the CC to the CK?

Looks like the JimC pulley would be easiest for the WP and CK.

I guess I have taken my "Less is more" too far this time. Need a pulley and a third belt?

Yes. In order for your concept to work, you'd need to align the Compressor to the WP/Crank Pulley in order to use the Compressor as your tensioner.

I will say that would be a lot of stress on that belt since it will run waterpump AND compressor if you opted to make that work. I recommend getting the JimC pulley or equivalent and running 3 belts based on the OEM routing. Your current method is the temporary fix if the AIR pump fails in order to keep the truck going.

Last edited:
I am running the compressor (CC), water pump (WP), and the crankshaft (CK) on one belt.

That's way messed up.
The AC pulley requires a much smaller belt than the other accessories. Also the correct AC crank pulley has a much larger diameter than the other crank pulleys. The AC compressor will always be spinning too slow how you have it now, or if you're using the big outer crank pulley, the water pump is spinning a bit too fast at highway RPMs & might cause cavitation.

im Going with the cavitation definition of cleaning things rather than your accurate definition of damaging the pump and or the components. Looks like JimC pulley will be on order before I drive anymore. As always, you guys and girls are a valuable and respected resource. I will run the belts properly and post up in Busters thread.

Both of the belts in the picture are too skinny. The correct belts are 17mm HD truck belts. The alternator pulley is also not the correct cruiser part, looks like the stamped pulley for Cressida.

To fix: 1. Get correct cast-iron alternator pulley.
2. Get 3 correct belts.
3. Install something in AP tensioner location.
4. Enjoy driving with no more belt screaming.

Both of the belts in the picture are too skinny. The correct belts are 17mm HD truck belts. The alternator pulley is also not the correct cruiser part, looks like the stamped pulley for Cressida.

To fix: 1. Get correct cast-iron alternator pulley.
2. Get 3 correct belts.
3. Install something in AP tensioner location.
4. Enjoy driving with no more belt screaming.

Did Toyota offer trucks without a fan clutch in USA? I looked back at the picture and the fan doesn’t look right and of course, no fan clutch.

Did Toyota offer trucks without a fan clutch in USA? I looked back at the picture and the fan doesn’t look right and of course, no fan clutch.
Good question. It looked weird to me too but figured it was just me.

Now that you brought it to attention - I didn't notice it at first in your picture- but you don't have a fan clutch.
All USA FJ60s had a fan clutch.

I thank the Toyota engineers that Mud is here and as helpful as it is. You all are not only mechanically inclined like me but you actually know what's going on (not like me). Cressida is a vehicle I fell in love with years ago. Well, maybe it was the girl driving it but you get the picture. I will look back through the FSM for the correct pulley or just order a reman from Rock Auto. They are like $48 shipped.

This particular vehicle has many different parts in it that may or may not be from 1982. The H55 is not from 1982 but it works great. The head is a domed one from an earlier 2F so I was informed the compression numbers will be lower. The fan clutch, or lack thereof, is a bimetalic fan blade that changes angle based on temp.

Buster Brown is an interesting find for me. This truck came from California originally. The PO knew enough about it and he gave me stacks of stuff done in California. I am still piecing information together and learning. Thank you all for your guidance.

@OSS your original picture of the belt routing in my original thread was skimmed and then ignored. I am a goober but I try to learn from my mistakes.

better picture of the fan. Oh, and I have bigger belts on the alternator now. These are older pictures in the computer.

IMG_7020.JPG

The first alt that was in my truck when I bought it was from a Cressida. It’s in my garage now as a backup but isn’t clocked correct (it’s at 2 instead of 10) so it was an awkward fit w/ the intake hose off the tstat housing. And so my love my winded remark is that the pulley I now have on my GM alt is the Cressida pulley. So far it’s not been an issue w/ the belt.

Last edited:
The WP and pulley looks correct, it just needs the janky flex fan & spacer discarded and replaced with a new Aisin FCT017 fan clutch and matching Aisin FNT022 fan blade. About $100 from rockauto.

I have an fan blade if you want it. It’s the original plastic one. But the newer one you’d order would have extra ridges on the blade. I guess it adds more air. Lmk, I’d send it for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom