Busted transmission hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed a slight drip of something under the car. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the steel tubes that run the tranny fluid for a short distance right before it goes into the tranny intercooler are leaking. I took the rubber hoses that clam onto the two tubes, and there was an obvious pin hole where it was seeping from. I checked and it looks like that part number costs 100 from toyota. Couldn't understand what the point of it was, so I bought some 3/8" ID transmission rubber hose and some 3/8" brass couplings from home depot, and put that in instead of the steel piece. I added some tranny fluid through the dipstick, by eye. Hard to get a good reading on that dipstick because it comes out all smeared, but I can't imagine I lost more than the half quart I put back in.

Anyone else have this issue, and would you have solved it differently?

Surprised nobody wants to help you.

I don't need to brag. And I didn't come here looking for friends. There is a wealth of information here and that's what I'm after. If I wanted to make friends, I would just agree relentlessly with everybody.

That pic of it plunging into a river, that was purely for photo purposes wasn’t it? I mean why would anyone ever think it’s a good idea to ford in a river at such a high speed throwing water everywhere?

Can someone explain to me why are those ugly Slee bumpers so popular amongst land cruiser owners and how does anyone justify paying so much for them? What’s the benefit?

No no, you should totally invest thousands to mod a stock vehicle for no palpable benefit and then sell the whole thing for 4 grand because it’s about to fall apart into a giant rust pile.

Obviously Toyota stopped putting rear diff lockers on for a reason. The ONLY real scientific test to see if it’s worth anything would be to take two absolutely identical vehicles with same tires and everything else and test them side by side one with lock on and one off to see if it really makes a difference.

Slee and arb bumpers are ugly. That is my opinion. And what's more is I'd say most who put them on don't benefit from the hardware aspect aside from staring at them in their garage with a coffee cup in hand and saying "Ahhhyyyepppuhhhh" and going back inside to post about how much they love their bumper while wearing a robe.

Might be hard for you to see from your level, but the correlation is there. Perhaps someone else can google up a picture that breaks it down for you a little better?

Yeah...this is supposed to be like a lucrative proposition owning a cruiser. You guys shouldn’t be embarrassed about how much you are having to put into it to not be stranded with it on the side of the road.

Hence why I don't buy into the diff lockers and slee garbage you might be into.

Oh wait, no I'm not.

lmao thanks dickbag. I'm humbled that you spent so much of your precious time to come up with a neat little collage of my own quotes.

lmfao I sure did. Drove it for a hundred miles since then and haven't had an issue. Makes me wonder why they'd put that steel tube piece in the first place. A home run with A/T rated rubber hose would have been more reliable in my opinion, as the pieces that were steel have rusted through on the transmission lines and brake lines, whereas the rubber hoses have still performed well.

7d30923d9092568afacaa7a930b25586.png

are you referring to this?

lmao thanks dickbag. I'm humbled that you spent so much of your precious time to come up with a neat little collage of my own quotes.

Didn't take but a second considering they all came from the same thread.

Here ya go, dickbag:

Here's another one where you show your ass:

Just in case anyone might want to know how little you think of us all before they volunteer their effort to help you with anything.

Best of luck in your repair.

7d30923d9092568afacaa7a930b25586.png

are you referring to this?

Yes, that's the part. I've since taken it out and put in 2 brass couplings and transmission hose to replace that steel piece and everything has been working just fine for me. As these vehicles increase in age, they will inevitably rust away. So you might want to start driving around with various sizes of rubber hose and brake lines, as well as all the fluids you might need to refill if and when it springs another leak.

Yes, that's the part. I've since taken it out and put in 2 brass couplings and transmission hose to replace that steel piece and everything has been working just fine for me. As these vehicles increase in age, they will inevitably rust away. So you might want to start driving around with various sizes of rubber hose and brake lines, as well as all the fluids you might need to refill if and when it springs another leak.

Reluctantly, I will try to explain the reason for steel hoses like this, while I've seen your "response style" I don't know you deserve it. But here it is anyway.

The reason those hoses come in steel and have welded separators like that is that they are hi-temp and moved by the vibration and movement of motor and transmission and are very near other objects in the compartment. So the purpose is that they don't move, don't touch anything or rub with something and leak. So they are very purposefully made that way. Most of them are either stainless or anodized so rust is usually not a concern for many years.

To answer your question, no I would not use rubber hoses I would have used the steel ones Toyota made specifically for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom