1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Busted Laptop-- How to get files off of it?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by PolterGeist, Jul 19, 2005.

1. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

OK, the wife has (had?) a Dell Inspiron 7200 Laptop that got broken today. The screen part busted totally off the hinge...

Anyway, she had been working for several days on something important, and "forgot" to make backups of the files to the network drive I have setup that gets copied to tape every night...

Dell will fix the machine under warranty, but that'll take a couple weeks probably.

Is there any way to take the HDD out of her laptop and hook it up to a desktop? Any sort of adaptor or cable I can get for cheap?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Do you have to take out the HD? Or can you just run video out to a secondary monitor/TV ?

TY

3. hatfieldcb

hatfieldcb

If you can find another laptop shell you can swap the HD into it, boot up and go. We do it at work once in a while, but there's half a dozen of us and most of us have the same laptop.

HTH

4. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

yeah i'd say try plugging a monitor into the display out on the lappy and i think it's function f7 on my laptop to change display devices

5. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

Even without a screen you should be able to access it on the network if it's bootable. I'm assuming it's windows you're talking about. If so, you should be able to get to it from your serrver by mapping \\laptop\c$ with an administrator password.

6. mabrodis

mabrodis

Plugging in a external monitor would be the easiest, assuming the laptop will actually powerup and work ok, there could be some hardware check that would make it not even bootup correctly. If that's the problem then just pull the hard-drive out, and put it temporarily in a desktop computer using an adapter to mate notebook-IDE to desktop-IDE (notebook is smaller and has the power/gnd as part of the header, not a seperate connector)...those adapters are maybe $10 or so online...then in the desktop just copy the files off that drive...I've had to do that dozens of times, though I have yet to break a LCD off the laptop, that's quite a feat.. :D

How much will Dell charge to fix the laptop? It might not actually be worth it, could be, but I'd look closely at what it'll cost, compared to a new (possibly better) computer to replace it with...

Good Luck...
    Mark Brodis

7. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Machine doesn't fire up at all.....

and we want to take the HDD out before we send it cause last time she sent it to dell they formatted and reloaded windows (as thought that would solve the problem with the LCD screen having dead pixels?) and she lost all her stuff. SO we learned our lesson....

Steve

8. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I say we with hold any further advice until we get a full writeup and some graphic images! :flipoff2:

We deserve at least that much!

TY

9. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

It's still under warranty, and the reason it broke. Well, I dunno. She picked it up. Looks like a screw fell out of one of the corners, when she opened it, the screen came unhinged from the rest of it....

I offered to look at it, but she's really pissed at Dell, and I don't want to be near her to be honest...

It's her third laptop from them. First one broke after a year, and Dell just wanted to replace it, but since that model was no longer made, they gave her a new model which was much better than the old one.... SHe had to pay like $100 to upgrade it to what was supposed to be a much better model.

then that one broke, and they replaced it.... then this one, the keys fell off the keyboard, there were dead pixels on the LCD.... it just never ends...

I don't endorse Dell Laptops after this. SHe didn't know me when she got it, else I would have told her to get a Toshiba...

Steve

10. miked

miked

my assistant at work(i just love saying that) has a nice USB2.0 cable that hooks upto a laptop HHD. granted the HDD sits in a nice plastic shell with a leather case but it's easy to take apart and swap drives. the whole thing is powered by the USB connector. when i get there today, i will look it up and shoot you a brand name and where to find it if i can ... find it.

11. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
  12. WES1977

WES1977

Media:
    Albums:
    Compusa has a drive caddy for laptops that hooks up to all the laptop hard drives. You have to take the harddrive out and very carfully using two hands take the adapter off the hard drive pins and then plug it in to the drive caddy with the label side up on your hard drive. I have one and it's not that hard to use. I think it was about $20 in a silver small case.

13. masscrusher

masscrusher

Compusa also has the IDE40 (laptop) to IDE80 (PC) adapter. Just the the hdd out, and plug it into a desktop.

If you want to get fancy, get an hdd enclosure, the adapter, and you got yourself a nice external hdd.

14. swank60

swank60

I've got one - got it at Fry's for $5. Works like a charm. See attached.

15. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums: