Busted ignition - ignition cylinder rod replacement (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I noticed the photo links are all broken. I have attached a photo of the proper orientation of the cam when properly installed.
(It's not the end of world if you get it 180 degrees wrong. Just pull off the white plastic portion and rotate it)
I have attached a picture of the screw driver length that seemed to work best for the job. It is a number 2 Phillips.
(I know kinda cheesy to post a screw driver pic).
Also we found the key cylinders get really chunky if you clean it with wd-40. We were able to get it working smoothly again by applying powdered graphite and working the key back and forth.
Also it helps to have great friends like Treeroot and Simps80 that show up at the house and do most of the work for you.
:)

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

Last edited:
If anyone needs a manual tilt ignition shaft I have an extra one (new reinforced version) that I can sell you. Its new. I am in AZ and happy to ship too.
p/n 45280-60460
PM me.

Add my '99 LX 470 with 180,000 miles to this culprit. However just before the ignition snapped, I noticed my tilt steering wheel started acting up. Parked it at the office and in the evening, put the key in, turned and felt/heard a snap and ignition felt lose. I swear, I kid you not, I thought I broke the key but on closer inspection realized, it was the ignition.

Spoke to my local lock smith who thinks he can do it, is that correct?

Know the part #'s so will call Toyota in the morning to see if they stock the part.

Thank you MUD

Hey, this problem just happened to me in the weekend. We were away for the weekend, about 300 kms from home. Went to a brewery for lunch on Sunday and it broke when we were trying to leave to come home. Luckily a guy walked passed us and asked what was wrong, we told him and he knew exactly what the problem was. He borrowed a bobby pin from my wife and extracted the lock barrel, then managed to remove the snapped part of the shaft. Then he got a piece of angle iron (a tent peg) and hammered it so it would fit down the ignition hole. With the peg he was able to turn the broken piece of the shaft and start the car (have to have the key next to it to de activate the immobiliser). We managed to drive the 3 hour trip home and i have been driving it around all week like this. Ordered the part from toyota, hopefully it will arrive in time to put it in in the weekend.
Just to let you all know a way around having to be towed home if it ever happens again.

I still can not believe our luck that that guy helped us and knew about this common problem.

image.jpg

By the way, this part costs $340 in Australia. And there was only one left.

I put the new shaft in during the weekend. It took around 1.5 hours. I didn't have to remove the whole assembly. Managed to loosen the screws and back off the white plastic ignition switch (access is quite tricky), then fish out the broken piece of shaft using an old bike wheel spoke, while holding the steering lock out of the way using a screw driver with a small flash light taped to it so I could see what I was doing. Good fun.
I am thinking about sending the rest of the brand new assembly back to Toyota and telling them to recycle it. There must be a lot of these brand new parts getting chucked in the bin.
Thanks for all the help.

Stew

I'd consider that probably the most lucky thing that will happen to you, short of winning the lottery. I'd be interested in seeing exactly how the key cylinder was removed with out tearing it down. Did it pull out easily due to the shaft being broken?

Does this issue start intermittently or does it go bad at once? Sometimes I can't turn my key past the lock position (and no its not that the steering wheel is locked). If I pull the key out and try a couple times I can turn it. Happens maybe once a week. Any ideas?

Just joined this excellent forum to add my Mums '01 VX Ltd (4.2 turbo-diesel) to the list.

Mr Toyota has quoted me NZ$640 for a "new bracket". I shall be having words with them in the morning now that I am up to speed with this design fault.

I joined the "busted ignition" club this past week. 2001 LX470. Same exact issue with broken camshaft in steering lock assembly. I searched around, and did not see any videos for this fix. So, I decided to make on with my brother. Here's the youtube link:

I hope this helps anyone doing the repair themselves. I also included the PNs in the text.

Thanks to everyone on this post who guided this repair. Saved me hundreds of dollars.

I joined the "busted ignition" club this past week. 2001 LX470. Same exact issue with broken camshaft in steering lock assembly. I searched around, and did not see any videos for this fix. So, I decided to make on with my brother. Here's the youtube link:

I hope this helps anyone doing the repair themselves. I also included the PNs in the text.

Thanks to everyone on this post who guided this repair. Saved me hundreds of dollars.

Thanks! I'm going to use this guide to take it apart and check before I order the part. It's 7 degrees outside so I'll probably do it in 5 minute intervals haha.

Is there a way to start the vehicle temporarily from this position? I won't be able to order the part until Friday.
I imagine you've already got your part, but yes, it's possible. I did it this past week while waiting on my part to arrive.

IMG_1028.JPG

Trail kit for for broken ignition connector rod
FullSizeRender.jpg

Flat-head screwdriver - 8-inch shaft with 5mm head
Coat hanger - 5 1/2" or longer with a 1/4" OD loop on the end of it
Pipe - any pipe will do, but it needs to have an outer diameter of .725". I used 1/2" copper pipe and packing tape

Assuming you've already fished out the broken pieces...

Insert coat hanger into recess located at the top of the ignition cylinder. If it's ~1/4" OD, it will sort of lodge itself there. With the coat hanger in place, you can then push the steering wheel lock to the right (I found the metal rod in the photo above was easier than a screwdriver) and at will stay out of the way. Put the pipe in. If the pipe is not a full 6" into the cylinder or you are using a smaller diameter pipe, then you are not effectively disabling the steering lock.

Once you have the steering lock disabled, put your key in the ignition and turn to the start position. Make sure the lighted ring is in place. Insert screwdriver through pipe, and turn just like you would with the key. It should start. You can then remove your key and the ignition lock from the lighted ring, put them in the cup holder, and drive off.

Last edited:
Anybody have the empty housing left over from a repair to the 98-02 auto steering column? I have a project in mind for my 2002 LX470 and would like to avoid messing with my stock housing. I would pay shipping.

Just replaced mine as preventative maintenance. cost about $150 including shipping. For my 1999 I did not have to remove the the item discussed at 6:44 in the video - must be because I don't have the Lexus motorized steering shaft.
I didn't need to remove the seats or the vent - but then again I do things so much slower than the times others post - I swear that It takes me about 2x as long as the longest mentioned by anyone for any repair - am I the only one???!

It would have been very difficult with the video - thanks! (btw, the replacement part was better built - also I spent a while practicing getting it out of the casing so I understood the one in the car better.) I also suppose it is easier replacing one that has not broken.

The old one did not have any evidence of fatigue / cracking.

Gil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom