Busted ignition - ignition cylinder rod replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally got the part and everything reassembled. This thread rules!!!!

I didn't see mentioning of failures of the beefier Toyota replacement part. Have there been failures?

Also, what have people done with the rest of the assembly part?

Cheers

Welp, yesterday the cruiser left me stranded at Sonic. Key was in the ACC position as I was enjoying some inane sports talk with my Breakfast Burrito. Had it towed 1/4 mile back to the house and now i'm trying to get my plan together.

Seems like replacing the entire assembly would be a little easier, but then you'd have to rekey all the door locks. i guess is the reason people are just using the cam, correct?

anywho, i guess ill order the whole thing from Beno and start taking things apart tonight.

IMG_0266.jpg

nope....replacing the cam is quite a bit easier. that's why I went that way...

post some photos once you tear into it. I hope your dealer stocks one, otherwise give @beno a call

Well, sh*t. The broken cam piece is now resting at the bottom the cylinder. Pretty sure if I had the gymnast/contortionist from Ocean's 11 we could knock this out pretty easily. However working solo at 6'6" 255 lbs., its time to have a beer and rethink this whole thing.
Maybe just get an Uber to the Dealership to go check out 4runners.

Well, sh*t. The broken cam piece is now resting at the bottom the cylinder. Pretty sure if I had the gymnast/contortionist from Ocean's 11 we could knock this out pretty easily. However working solo at 6'6" 255 lbs., its time to have a beer and rethink this whole thing.
if it makes you feel better, my 2000 Toyota Avalon sedan had the exact same failure... I didn't find the aggravating worth the savings, and had the dealer do mine.

i'll probably just pay the dealer. I love this dang 17 year old, 230k mile truck ,but.... oh, i'm sure you all know what i'm getting at.

The Germans probably have a word for it.

I finally got the part and everything reassembled. This thread rules!!!!

I didn't see mentioning of failures of the beefier Toyota replacement part. Have there been failures?

Also, what have people done with the rest of the assembly part?

Cheers

Glad it worked for you! So, my new part has not failed since I put it in (few years now)....but that's not a good test since my older one lasted quite a while too.
As for the rest of the assembly, I really wanted to hang onto it since it was kind of neat looking. However, after 6 months of it sitting around doing nothing, I eventually just tossed it in the garbage. Such a waste, but nothing else I could think of doing with it....

Pork Soda - sorry that it didn't work out for you. Fishing out that piece could definitely be a pain in the neck. Couple of questions - did you loosen the white connector behind the assembly? If not, that could have been preventing the piece from being extracted. Finally, using a couple tools simultaneously (like a long thin flat head to hold the locking mechanism out of the way, and a 90 degree pick to fish it out) also helped me out. I was unable to do it with just s single tool. Did you try something like that? Just curious. Such a shame that you were so close to finishing it :(

So after reading this thread I became nervous and I talked with a well known vendor about this issue. He said that he "only sells a few of these a year and not to worry to much about it." I bought it anyway.
Upon removal I discovered that my original unbroken cam rod could not be removed without removing the whole bracket from the steering column. I believe this is because of the steering lock that was mentioned previously.
On the new assembly when the
Steering lock was engaged I could not remove the cam either.
From what I understand it does not matter if the cam is broken and the lock is engaged because you are just extracting the pieces.
The cam will go in the housing all the way with the lock engaged just not out.

Also I found out by mistake that the end of the cam rod that goes into the key tumbler slot that you are using your needle nose pliers on has a spring underneath. Care is needed not to lose pieces.

Has anyone just replaced the cam without removing the whole assembly from the steering column? Just checking if I missed something.

I have done this without removing the assembly from steering column.

Medtro Please fulfill me with your knowledge once again.

I followed the instructions on this thread but could only turn the unbroken cam in my ignition 180 degrees which did not let me line up the notch in the back to remove it.
Your insight on this is much appreciated once again thank you.

I followed the instructions on this thread but could only turn the unbroken cam in my ignition 180 degrees which did not let me line up the notch in the back to remove it.

I had to loosen the 2 bolts at the white electrical connector. See video at time 6:28.

Did you figure it out? What year and model?

Do we know when the cam was updated/superceded the old part and if it was incorporated into production models at some point? I'm curious if this issue impacted a certain model year range or all 98-07 100's

@medtro I actually watched that video a few times before I disassembled it. The problem is in that video the ignition is broken and so the upper broken piece can be removed seperatly from the lower broken piece. I was changing my unbroken cam with the new updated cam I purchased.
I did loosen the screws in the back all the way and that did not release it.
I have the new cam and all the tools to replace with me in case it breaks on me.
I believe there is a lock somewhere that will
not release an unbroken cam.

@medtro I actually watched that video a few times before I disassembled it. The problem is in that video the ignition is broken and so the upper broken piece can be removed seperatly from the lower broken piece. I was changing my unbroken cam with the new updated cam I purchased.
I have the new cam and all the tools to replace with me in case it breaks on me.

Hey Sean. To release the camshaft look at the backside of the housing. Take off the ignition switch. It's a round white part. There is a key hole slot that needs to be rotated 90 degrees. Small needle nose pliers will do it. Once the key is turned you can pull and twist and voila. PITA though. Oh and you have to put immobilizerback in place or the ignition cranks without starting. Learned that one the hard way.. good luck. Shane

I was able to remove unbroken cam in 2 vehicles without issue. Newer model is slightly different from the video. Are you able to remove new cam from your new housing?

@medtro thats good to know, I will attempt it sometime again. I was able to remove the new cam from the new housing after fiddling with it a little bit. Not exactly sure how I did it but could repeat it a few times.
Thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom