Busted electric fan and odd part found during troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BLUF: The electric fan on my 4bt swapped 80 series has stopped working and in troubleshooting, I found some weird parts.

Does anyone recognize the below parts?

It appears to be a 2 input, one output regulator or power combiner - except that the output (blue) appeared to have been wired to one of the alternator ports (I say appeared because the cable was dangling close to the output port and had the appropriate connector)...

The input ports were in very bad shape and I replaced them, but again, I'm not certain of the wiring...Potentially, they may have been intended to be wired to sense battery voltage (dual batteries, so two inputs?) and regulate the alternator clutch.

The other picture may be a sensor, but I can't be sure as it was just dangling. Maybe a relic of the swap that was never removed?

The whole reason I started the investigation is that the electric fan that used to cycle on/off stopped turning on at all. It seems to have happened after a local mechanic replaced a pigtail that went to the A/C compressor. It was immediately noticeable because the fan usually stayed on or turned on immediately after I shut the engine off and would cycle until the engine dropped to a certain temp.

Initially, it would seem like a temperature sensor issue, but I manually closed the solenoid that controls the fan and I assume that should've forced the fan to turn on, but it didn't. Any thoughts?

Remco diode.
Probably so a/c can force fan to run, or fan can work when engine temp requires it.

Thanks - I'm going to post up a full wiring diagram later on, but a diode pack seems to be a likely candidate. Whatever it was, the blue OUT wire wasn't even plugged in when I found it so I was hoping it was just a relic old wiring before the 4bt swap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom