busted axle shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yup snapped one tonight leaving my apartment. what i thought was the locker unloading was aparently my axle breaking off... it wasnt all that loud and sounded just like my locker. well i realized real quick it wasnt a locker when i saw my tire in my mirror then the truck fell and started dragging the ground and then watched the tire go on down the road with my drum and wheel and axle all as one....

i know this cant be common anyone else ever had this happen? i mean really. i know these shafts are tough to break offroad. hell i dunno maybe i just got the 1 weak one that Toyota made...

sux is all i guess. i really dont have any money to fix it too. but i think my dad is gonna try and help me some but things are tight there too. so if anyone has a longside rear axle shaft new used whatever just not broken (fine spline) i could use it. cheap is better at this point in my life. but let me know. Thanks yall.

Ouch! It must have had a little crack that finally let go. How long have you had the locker? I think euclid has some rears in the for sale section for a good price. Good luck!

where did it break?
i broke one just last year rolling down the street.
the very end broke off where the c-clip goes.

locker about 8 months

it broke before the locker... havent taken the dif cover off yet will do it at work tomorrow but the shaft didnt have any splines on it. it broke before the carrier. kinda a weird spot if you ask me

and yes i have pics. i will post em tomorrow hopefully. and ill try and get some pics of the inside of the dif too and what all was ground down by the concrete.

bummer, it took alot of cleaning to get the inside of the housing free from all the metal that gets in there.
i used lots of break cleaner and rags.

i feel for ya.

i was thankful it did'nt happen to my wife when she was driving it.

thats a drag! (no pun intended!)
Sorry to hear it.
Did you try a local pick and pull or something of the like?
Im sure someone here has something laying around.
Good luck. If I had one, Id give it to ya!

Chicago

That is odd. It must have had a crack before from a previous trama and if finally let go. I have heard of this happening before that an axle was stressed and then just doing somthing simple it lets go.

I have spare axle shafts, I can send you one if your in a bind. The only thing is I would need you to replace it before the end of April, because ill need my spares for GSMTR...

Let me know if I can help ya out.

I broke one in the same spot-right at the base of the inner splines, when bound up and locked at Rubicon. Odd it would just break on the street, but the shock load from a Lockright type locker likely didn't help. I had to pull the differential out of the truck since the remaining bit of axle twisted a bit and was stuck in the side gear.

thanks low tide ride i will let you know. but im gonna try and find one that way i dont have to worry about getting one back to you in time.

haha yea i guess i am in the broken axle club:flipoff2:

checked for parted out 60's and 62's im sure you could dig up a few in the for sale section.

welcome to the club dude .. and sorry for ya ..

mine

brokenaxle.jpg

I keep the splines piece here in my desk in my office .. my trophy :D

Check in Cruiserparts for replacement ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom