Bushings and parabolics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '78 FJ45 that desperately needs new bushings.

Anyone know if a non-USA FJ45 would use stock bushings on stock springs?

Also, can someone help me out on the parbolics?

I haven't spent too much (actually about 10 seconds) time looking at the parabolics but understand that they are the front part of the rear springs. Is that correct?

Do they require bushings?

Do they need servicing?

You can tell by my questions that I am clueless about what to even ask....

HELP!!!!

Thanks,

Brian

Wow.. I'm confused on your questions.. But..
you have a 78 FJ45.. If your asking about the TIC parabolics as seen in the toyota trails earlier this year on a shorty FJ45.. Your in luck..
The TIC parabolics are designed for a newer FJ40 and FJ45.. So... In the latest edition of the FJ40's that came to the states there were different pin sizes and shackle pin sizes..
If your ordering a set of parabolics I would not order the bushing or Ubolt kit that they offer as it is currently incorrect, I tried to express how to fix it to them and might do so in the future but I'd have to sit down and do all the math..
The ID of the spring is the same as the FJ60 and the rear fixed pin on an FJ45 that was originally brought into the states is 18mm.. the front fixed pin on the FJ45 is 15mm.
on the rear of the one in the Trails, FJ60 OME bushings were used in the back.. But to do so we had to grind a bit off the face of the spring to get the proper shoulder on the bushing.. I Also used a spare set of FJ60 greasable shackles I had lying around the shop..
Rear done.. What I would do is order bushings for the rear that have a smaller shoulder width.
Also do a search for parabolics, I know I've had more info in my mind that I've expressed before so not all of this will be correct.. I need to do all this again when we do Chef's truck this winter and then I will document exact dimensions..
on the rear the stock FJ45 rear shackle had ID pins of 15mm.. Thus I used the stock FJ60 pins which are 18mm.
The fronts, on the spring bushings use the od of FJ60, ID of 15mm on fixed pin, smallest shoulder I think I could find was .125. (That's the fixed pin side.)
Spring bushing on shackle side I used an OD of 1 3/8", flange of .125 and id of whatever you can get thru the top shackle mount in the truck. Since I seem to remember the top of the shackle being like an OD of 1" you need a 9/16 or 5/8 and I'd just order new greasable bolts for your shackles.. I just used what I had lying around.
I think I have the part #'s at home but this gives you a basic idea what your up against..
They do work extrememly well and are worth the trouble.

Dude, I think he's talking about semi elliptic...at least that's what I get from "front half of the rear springs."
Switching to semi-ellptics is a large engineeering project.

You mean Quarter eliptical.. You best go talk to Woody then.. His junk works..

I guess my lack of knowledge is certainly showing thru based on the responses and the confusion I am causing.

I was calling them parabolics because of a post that I saw from NuclearLemon (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45727&highlight=parabolics). That piece that NuclearLemon has the torch on in the picture is the part I am describing.

What the heck are parabolics anyway???

What is that "thing" at the front of my rear leaf springs?

I want to keep my rig stock, but want to make sure if I am buying bushings and going to take the leaf springs off then I only have to do it once. So want to get the appropriate parts up front - in addition to as much knowledge as I can.

Thanks again everyone for walking me thru this.

parabolic springs are made on a hydraulic mill of some sort and are easily identified by the way each individual leaf is seperated from the other and the fact that there are only two or three leaves as opposed to four or more for a conventional leaf spring.

the thing i was holding the torch up against was the spring hanger (on the frame), bushing (which you can't see), or spring pin (which runs through the center of the spring hanger and leaf eye).

clear as mud :)

Ige was burning out the old bushing, they get seized to the spring pins and are a bear to remove.. Sound like your just wanting to replace bushings? Is that what I'm understanding? Or Are you looking for a recommendation on a lift kit that retains the stock appearance? Or are you looking for an extreme flex type of suspension?

To me it sounds like your doing basic maint of replacing worn bushings.. Great! Start there, simple cheap, effective.. Marv at SOR will be able to guide you in your search given it's a later FJ45.. Or I"m sure most of us that have bushings lying around from our TIC project can hook you up cheap!

Tornado - I think you probably nailed in on the head. All I am looking to do is regular maintance on my springs by adding new bushings. Should have looked closer to see if there were bushings on that side of the springs. Just a bit confused by the picture in NuclearLemons posting and the different look on that side of the springs compared to what I am used to in my FJ40.

I'll check w/ SOR or MAF about the size of bushings to get.

Thanks again!

There are bushings at each section where a spring attaches.. Normally at the age of your truck they are done! Sometimes even gone! If the bushings are super worn out or pretty much gone then they will kinda clunk and flop the springs from side to side.. When I first purchased my Fj40 it was like that..

Sounds like a great plan!

And the difference is the fixed pin on the rear of an Fj45 is different than an FJ40 thus the difference in the picture.. 18mm vs 15mm pin and a different mounting pattern etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom