Bushing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After pulling my front axle and leaf springs, I was having a heck of a time figuring out what size bushing I needed. My rig is a 78 but it has two different size bushings for the suspension. I discovered that the leaf springs have 35mm eyelets and the frame bushings are 25mm. I ordered both. Went to install today and my shackles don’t quite fill the gap and the bushings are a little loose. Is this normal? Thoughts on how to address this issue?

Original bushing is red, new is black. The red slips right on with a small amount of play. Black can slide on without touching the bolt.
image.jpg

When ordering bushing you need the pin diameter as well as the outer diameter. Any chance the springs are aftermarket and not stock?

I believe the springs are aftermarket. For my 78, the correct bushing size is 25mm OD but my leaf springs require 35mm which is the “newer” size starting in 1980 I believe.

Just spoke with a helpful guy at Napa. The ID of the old bushing is 15mm but the new bushing is 18mm. The ID of my frame bushing is also 15 so I can’t just get new shackles as the ID of both bushings would still be different. Does anybody know if the shackle bolts increased in size in 1980?

Thanks for this. Didn’t realize SOR had the measurements of the bushings. Looks like I need bushings for an fj60. What a cluster. Hopefully these bushings fit. It would be nice to drive the rig this summer!

I believe the springs are aftermarket. For my 78, the correct bushing size is 25mm OD but my leaf springs require 35mm which is the “newer” size starting in 1980 I believe.

Just spoke with a helpful guy at Napa. The ID of the old bushing is 15mm but the new bushing is 18mm. The ID of my frame bushing is also 15 so I can’t just get new shackles as the ID of both bushings would still be different. Does anybody know if the shackle bolts increased in size in 1980?

If you can find markings or features of the spring that could lead you to who made them, you could probably contact the manufacture who could supply the correct bushings for your springs. I also mention this because your springs could be wider or narrower than factory springs.

If you can find markings or features of the spring that could lead you to who made them, you could probably contact the manufacture who could supply the correct bushings for your springs. I also mention this because your springs could be wider or narrower than factory springs.
Unfortunately the markings are long gone. Ive got the correct measurements now. Ill order from SOR. Wish their shipping wasnt so expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom