Builds Bush Truck Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nah, its all just standard black pipe.
1 1/2" schedule 40

It will do the job, It meets all the nzfwda rules.

But its not like that matters though, I don't think ill compete in anything, in this truck

Cheers

This is where mounting the gearbox high up above the chassis rails comes in handy. it means you can drive over logs as carelessly as you like and you dont have to worry about smashing the transfer case to bits

DSCN3607.JPG

DSCN3601.JPG

DSCN3603.JPG

DSCN3604.JPG

DSCN3596.JPG

This pisses me off

DSCN3676.JPG

Its a supercheapauto air filter, it couldn't handle the air flow. The ryco filter has a mesh screen to stop that from happening. I cant remember why i bought this and not the ryco one.
I know it happened recently, so im not too worried. It still f**ks me off though

The next problem, my standard Nissan steering arms aren't up to it.

DSCN3689.JPG

DSCN3691.JPG

I bent it the other way too.
DSCN3692.JPG

So i gave them a straighten and welded a bit of Corten angle to both of them, well see how long that lasts

DSCN3694.JPG

Cheers

The next problem, my standard Nissan steering arms aren't up to it.

View attachment 2584681

View attachment 2584682
I bent it the other way too.
View attachment 2584683

So i gave them a straighten and welded a bit of Corten angle to both of them, well see how long that lasts

View attachment 2584684
Cheers

A bit of angle is sometimes all it takes - worked good for years on my old Suzuki.

That link has survived ok so far on mine, probably should beef it up one day though. For the front drag link I used schedule 80 pipe, machined some bar to the required ID sizes & got the local hydraulic hose guys to swage the pipe ends down on to that, then cut the threads for the std rod ends.

The next step is to go to solid bar + GU Patrol rod ends. The GU ends have a female thread so you can just turn a thread on a bit of bar & fit them up, I forget the size though, 30mm maybe.

Cheers
Clint

I put the winch rope on today, it seems to spool in and out nicely, it doesn't snarl up on anything. and it rolls on to the drum nicely. I still haven't worked out the free spool, so i have to feed it out in gear. its not too much slower.

I still need to load it up and see if every thing still works properly.

hopefully it will take up less space on the drum when it spooled in with a bit of load on it

DSCN3697.JPG

DSCN3701.JPG

DSCN3699.JPG

Cheers

I gave the winch a good test over the weekend. i dragged the truck about a meter with the tyres locked up in a dry paddock. and everything seemed to hold together, except for one bracket holding the guide tube in place, just a bad design. I should have picked up on it while i was making it.

The other problem is the universals vibrate like f**k, its alright when your winching slowly, but pulling in second with a high idle rattles the whole truck. Ill have a muck around with the drive shaft. See if i can stop it. If i cant, ill have to use CVs from some sh*tbox at the wreckers.
Cheers

I got quite a few little jobs done over the weekend.
I took it out for a good test run, while it was pissing it down with rain, and got soaking wet because all the water runs off the roof, under the door seals and on to the driver and passenger. So i folded up some roof gutters and riveted them on.
DSCN3734.JPG

Cheers

The winch driveshaft knocks like f**k so i made a replacement.

The smallest CVs i could find are from the rear driveshafts of a Nissan Xtrail
DSCN3748.JPG

The axle shaft from the xtrail has one fixed CV and one with a slip joint. The one with the slip joint cant handle as much of an angle as the fixed one. so i bought 2, and used the 2 fixed CVs.

I welded a flange to one, and a bush to the other. Its not ideal welding to axle steel, but i think it will be alright. I used MG600 wire and theres not going to be that much stress on the welds.

DSCN3761.JPG

DSCN3762.JPG

DSCN3764.JPG

The hardest part of welding the shafts together was keeping the middle hot, so the weld was strong and the ends cold so it didn't f**k the rubber boots

DSCN3768.JPG

Ill keep the old one in the truck somewhere just in case it f**ks out

Cheers

Great work! A less rattly PTO driveshaft would be a nice thing. That MG600 does weld nice, my sexiest Tigging has been done using that.

Cheers
Clint

I had a PTO on my Patrol. The truck had 40” rubber. Got it stuck once to the top of the tires. PTO pulled it out but it pulled a few trees down first. 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom