Builds Bush Truck Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this thrashed 70 series a few years ago, mostly because it had 2 ARB air lockers, I want to build a decant 4wd.
DSCN0883.JPG

It had a PTO winch and superior engineering drop shackles in the rear.
I built a new bull bar and rebuilt the winch, and made some sliders and some bar work
DSCN2382.JPG

And a snorkel

I got some mild steel rings waterjet cut for some hokey bead locks
DSCN2232.JPG

IMG_8815-L.jpg

I mounted an 80 series winch on the back, and threw some new 35" tyres on
DSCN3046.JPG

I still haven't wired up the rear winch, and because this is a club truck, this winch probably wont do me much good (a lot of weight for **** all )
But it kept me busy for a couple of weekends 👍

Then the rear diff sh*t the bed. The spider gear shaft worked its way out and smashed the pinion
DSCN2567.JPG

DSCN2592.JPG

So i put the front locker in the rear and upgraded the semi floating diff housing to a fully floater
and put an open diff in the front

DSCN2912.JPG

And now ive decided it seriously needs more power, So ill steal the v8 i was putting in my 40 series and put it in this one.
DSCN2558.JPG

Because im going to big horse power i want to get away from the leaf springs, and i want a bit more width. I was thinking an 80 series rear diff housing and a Nissan safari front. but now im starting to think ill put the engine and body on a SWB nissan safari chassis to save some mucking around. I dunno, im still deciding what i want to do
DSCN3119.JPG

Cheers

Some more pictures of the rear winch ,And how i mounted it:
DSCN3044.JPG

DSCN3054.JPG

The blue hose is an air line
DSCN3055.JPG

This fair lead I made would have worked well, But one time I skidded backwards and hit the truck behind me and bent the roller, It wont roll any more.

The snorkel:
DSCN3123.JPG

I made it from 3.5 inch galv tube
DSCN3125.JPG

I made a stainless air box, so i didn't have to drill a hole in my standard air box.
DSCN2826.JPG

It uses a flat air filter, so it doesn't take up as much room in the engine bay.
The bull bar
DSCN3126.JPG

DSCN3127.JPG

Ive bought a SWB nissan safari chassis, so there is no turning back now
DSCN3173.JPG

Nissan chassis and diffs, an LS1 under the bonnet and a Toyota body and gearbox.
Ill make it fit.

Not much Toyota left

Im hoping to find a less dented rust free cruiser body to put on the old chassis after ive stolen the body off it.

And I bolted up a cheap set of fancy pants LED headlights
DSCN3166.JPG

Which seem to work alright
DSCN3172.JPG

The job is underway, I found a new tub to replace the rusty red one
I used the gantry at work and fitted the new body to the Nissan chassis, I had to make new body mounts. Because the Nissan chassis has bigger curves in it the cruiser body has to sit about 140mm higher to clear to coil spring hangers, which is probably a good thing really.
DSCN3361.JPG

I moved the rear diff back 200mm so it would line up with the cruiser body, and i get a way better departure angle. But it means i need to find a new place for the tank
DSCN3362.JPG

And i shaved and gusseted the diffs while i had them apart replacing all the bearing and seals
DSCN3364.JPG

DSCN3191.JPG

Looks good! Should be taller than mine.... you can go first on the overgrown tracks to clear the way. :)

Maybe needs a roof chop? You could also slant the bonnet down & mount the grill a bit lower to give better forward visibility.

Cheers
Clint

Yea it definitely needs a lower roof, I think i want a summer and a winter roof, so a roll bar and windscreen and a bit of canvas. but i want to fit the fibreglass roof around all that for when its cold. I dunno, Ill work it out. I want to get this thing driving, im getting a bit sick of having so many trucks i cant drive. I drove the red wreck for the last time ever today, parked it in the shed so i can start stealing parts off it. I need to hurry up.
Cheers

Its a fluke how well this is going together, the MWB cruiser body is the perfect length for the SWB patrol chassis
IMG_20140101_142148.jpg

I fitted up the guards and trimmed them to fit the nissan shock towers and steering box.
I think i still need to trim them to clear the tyres.
IMG_20140101_142036.jpg

Looking at it now i think i need to pack the front of the cab up a bit more, once the engine is in it will sit a bit lower
Its almost ready to get its new engine. and i gave it a lick of paint. And it even looked good the next morning

Its nice and wide
IMG_20140101_142025.jpg

Cheers

Yea, Everyone use to call my truck a tractor , so i painted it to look like one

That might be the way to go. Im not really sure what im going to do about the guards yet, I was thinking i could do away with the outer bit and bend up pipe to the same shape, either way i dont want to raise the cab any more its already pretty tall Cheers

Cheers
between the 3F Bell housing and the adapter plate, the engine is pretty level, but the gearbox is up on an angle, which doesn't worry anything, it just makes my gearbox mount look pissed. I used 70 series leaf spring bushes.
IMG_20200108_193052.jpg

And I made some engine mounts. The idea was i wanted to have some adjustment back and forward. by having different sized spacers
IMG_20200108_193134.jpg

I still need to machine the spacers
IMG_20200108_193943.jpg

And I shortened the 70 series intermediate steering shaft to fit up with the Y61 steering box
IMG_20200108_193851.jpg

Because the cab is so high, I was able to tuck the gearbox up well above the chassis rails.
IMG_20200108_194142.jpg

Cheers

Ive started mounting the computer and wiring on the firewall,
Because of the model of Holden this engine came from i have to have a flyby wire throttle, so instead of mounting the commodore pedal next to the brake pedal Ive put it up this the other electronical sh*t, and its operated by the Toyota throttle cable. this way its less likely to get wet if the cab fills up with water and i keep the high idle knob for when im winching
IMG_20200110_151657.jpg

IMG_20200110_151711.jpg

The drive shafts.
My plan is to use a nissan drive shaft on the back and make an adapter plate to bolt it up to the transfer case, this way i can just shorten my lwb safari drive shaft

IMG_20200118_221600.jpg

IMG_20200118_233459.jpg

IMG_20200118_234939.jpg

Im going to weld on some half washers so those bolt heads can sit flat
IMG_20200118_235019.jpg

Im gunna have to use a toyota shaft on the front, bacause the huge nissan flange doesnt fit up to the front output flange on the trancefer case, without hitting the side of the gearbox and the 4wd selector thing. So i think ill just drill new holes in the front diff flange

I took the truck back to work so i can smash out some more steel work
IMG_20200125_124705.jpg

I altered my old stainless airbox so its 4" and pointing in the right direction
IMG_20200126_134540.jpg

The fan
I dont want an electric fan, and an engine driven fan for an LS from AUS will end up costing well over $800.
A hyraulic fan from a 1UZ came up on trade me for $40 . So ill give that a go.
I made a thing to bolt my fan to the fan pump thing without the viscus coupling.
IMG_20200126_105040.jpg

And i started work on a new shroud
It would be a disgrace if i did a sh*t job of the fan shroud so i made a square into round.
IMG_20200126_182207.jpg

I didnt even need to mark it out . i just cut a circle and a square the size of the radiator and tacked them together between a bit of pipe the same lenth as what i want the depth of the shroud to be and rolled it along the sheet of aluminum. It came out perfect and took half the time as if i marked it out properly
IMG_20200126_184002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom