Bush Company Awning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for a 270-degree type awning for my 200 series which has a Rhino Rack. I was looking for an awning that doesn’t require support poles or needs to be secured in light winds. I know it’s always better to secure one down but it would be nice to have one that doesn’t require it all the time. The Bush Company 270 XT seems like it might be a good fit since the frame is heavier and doesn’t seem to require additional support in light to moderate conditions? Does anyone have experience with these awnings or have another unit they could recommend?

270 XT Awning | The Bush Company

Cheers,

Didn't know if you saw usa link.
Looks very cool.

The thread below has some good info on makes and models. The bush company 270 xt awning looks to be the strongest best made among the field.

These are the notes I’ve taken researching.

RLD GhostAwn 360
seemed OK but due to the light aluminium construction I do have concerns about how it will hold up over time, or one big wind gust you weren't prepared for how much damage it would do. Has thin metal stick poles that hold the roofline up 18” higher. Seems very delicate.
$1499

Rhino Batwing
$800

Rhino Rack Fox Wing

I thoroughly considered the Alu-Cab awning, but decided to go with the Rhino Rack Fox Wing because the Alu-cab awning is very large. Its a great piece of kit but when I saw one on a 200 I did not like the mounting options and the overall aesthetic. As was mentioned before, Gamiviti has brackets for the Alu-Cab rack.

That reason is making me lean towards the 23Zero or Rhino as its lighter and I could use brackets that dont have to be bolted on.

Alu-Cab Shadow Awn
Has an awning arm at 45 degrees off the back. The rear hatch fairing might hit this.
“On mine, if I have the awning set up, and I go to open the rear hatch, the spoiler does in fact hit one of the cross braces on the awning.”
FWIW I had an arb awning on my 100 for years that we very rarely used. After having the Alu cab on the 200 I can say it has been used a ton more. The quick and easy one person operation and no need to set poles/spikes, along with the larger coverage area, has made it much more useful and more frequently deployed.

I mounted mine to my roof rack using two sets of L-brackets I bought from Paul at Equipt. I don't see them on their website but they may still have them. With two sets, my ALU-Cab awning is very secure and is just above my spoiler when deployed.
53 lbs

I am leaning toward the lighter weight 5052 marine grade aluminum Alu-Cab. It will provide an easy mounting, lower cost option due to my Black Friday sale. The Bush XT adds 8 lbs due to the 316 marine grade stainless steel and a potential mounting problem. I travel lite...no second row seats.

I will accept the "sub optimal setup" regarding the air spoiler. I would strongly recommend any potential 270 or RTT buyers look into the Bush Co. products. In the meantime, I will sleep on it for a few days before slicing open the BNIB.

bush company 270 xt awning
Allows the rear hatch to open with hitting the fairing on a awning arm.
Rex Guardione, owner of Wrecks & Effects, is the distributor for the Bush XT awning.
60 lbs
$1,450
First choice

Comparing that the the 23Zero pedigreene and also reached out to Rex on the Alpha Awning. The 23Zero looks pretty good and is less $$.

Last edited:
This is attached to thule square bars using bush company large L brackets. 8mm hardware.
This took my wife and I a little over an hour to install onto the truck. I had predrilled my crossbars for the brackets. I am using four crossbars, you could get away with three.
Overall this appears very beefy. Like everything, time will be the ultimate tell.
IMG_20200724_165712.jpg
IMG_20200724_165721.jpg
IMG_20200724_165733.jpg
IMG_20200724_165738.jpg

This is attached to thule square bars using bush company large L brackets. 8mm hardware.
This took my wife and I a little over an hour to install onto the truck. I had predrilled my crossbars for the brackets. I am using four crossbars, you could get away with three.
Overall this appears very beefy. Like everything, time will be the ultimate tell.
View attachment 2382604

Looks excellent, do you have any pictures of this folded up and closed up on the rack?

A couple of actual usage pics. Overall pretty happy about it. It is really ridiculously easy to deploy and stowe. Provides plenty of shade. Your results will vary depending on the height of your vehicle.

I received an email from Bush Co saying that awning walls should be available in Oct for 850. No pics.
IMG_20200815_203450~2.jpg
IMG_20200814_114932.jpg

Looks like an EXCELLENT option for a 270 awning. Their rooftop tents look crazy cool....most likely super expensive too. The Max is the coolest "hybrid" clamshell I've ever seen.....can be a clamshell style (angled up) or traditional popup style (all 4 corners up). Really cool idea. Roof Top Tent - Black Series MAX | The Bush Company

Yeah this is on my shortlist of things to buy for the LC. Really want one and after the last trip with my club, it would have come in great handy. Don't know that I want to spend the $1k+ on one of the self supporting, so will likely go with something like the Wraptor 2000 from Overland Pros.

A couple of actual usage pics. Overall pretty happy about it. It is really ridiculously easy to deploy and stowe. Provides plenty of shade. Your results will vary depending on the height of your vehicle.

I received an email from Bush Co saying that awning walls should be available in Oct for 850. No pics.
View attachment 2408365View attachment 2408366

Are you going to go for the awning?

any more updates? thx!

This post has most 270 and 360 awnings with specs. New 270 Awning available.

I'm vascillating between the need for more coverage at the rear of the vehicle vs true free standing vs weight. So far, the OVS Nomadic is the heaviest but also with the best coverage in the rear of the vehicle. The Bush company awning is lighter but also a true free standing unit, as in no poles are even offered!

@gnob I got couple of requests on your awning. I'd like to see the rear coverage with the tire swing in the open position. Can you please take a shot looking upward from the ground or a bird's eye view from up above? Also, a pic of how you attached the supplied brackets to your Thule load bars would be great.

Thank you for the effort.

it's free standing enough for good weather and short stops but not suggested!!! I was eyeballing the OVS for a while but can't swallow the 72# on top of a tall-ish rig. I'm now leaning toward a Darche Gen2 awning that is also free standing and it's only 48#.

I have a synopsis of all awnings in this thread:

Wow @alia176 you have done a lot of work on helping compile all of this, nicely done. Thanks for the link to that great thread. Seems like people are pretty pleased with the OVS for what is.

Wow @alia176 you have done a lot of work on helping compile all of this, nicely done. Thanks for the link to that great thread. Seems like people are pretty pleased with the OVS for what is.

Thanks for the kind words. It's easier to see all offerings in once place vs hunting all over. The things that are important to me:

-pole-less deployment for short stops
-total closed length to be less than 90". My batwing is 98" and pokes out from the front too much for my liking.
-be under 60lbs.

The OVS fits the bill except that 72# :bang: . Local bud has the OVS Nomadic and I really liked it on his trailer. Still, his trailer is just top heavy enough to give him pause on occasion.

it's free standing enough for good weather and short stops but not suggested!!! I was eyeballing the OVS for a while but can't swallow the 72# on top of a tall-ish rig. I'm now leaning toward a Darche Gen2 awning that is also free standing and it's only 48#.

I have a synopsis of all awnings in this thread:

@alia176 ... thank for compiling the awning options available. That’s a big help shopping and comparing all the models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom