Burp again or look elsewhere?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 3 weeks ago I was have trouble with the 60 overheating. I know the rad is new from the PO. The fan clutch is still in question, it seems to spin freely even when the truck is near the red. Then I burped the truck and all the problems seemed to clear up. The temp gauge never got above 2/3rds.

Now the temps have been in the 90s, and its getting close to overheating again.

Should I burp again, but maybe replace the rad cap to ensure its not sucking in air through there? Should I bite the bullet and replace the fan clutch? What about thermostat or waterpump, what to look for?

Anyone just go to a flexfan instead of the fan clutch? Just kinda being a cheapass, $19 for a flexfan, $59 for a fan clutch. Thanks for the help.

Hodag

Replace the fan clutch with OEM Toyota. It can make a big difference. Also, if there is any doubt, replace the cap. They are cheap. It isn't your waterpump. Replace that only if leaking from the weep hole. With new fan clutch and radiator, mine rarely gets above 1/3.

how many miles are on the clutch?

how are you "burping" it?

the rad cap is a quick, cheap fix --

eric

hodag said:
The fan clutch is still in question, it seems to spin freely even when the truck is near the red.

Hodag

The fan clutch should be nearly locked up when the engine is hot. Also, as you are driving, you should be able to hear a roaring sound when the clutch locks up and the fan engages. If neither of these happen, it seems likely that your fan clutch is toast.

As mentioned previously, don't buy an aftermarket clutch, go OEM. I had an aftermarket one (which failed after 18 mos.) The comparison between OEM and aftermarket is amazing. OEM is far larger, more robust, better made all around.

There is a trick where you can put something into a failed fan clutch to make it lock up 100% of the time. Sand maybe? Mark W had a post on this a few months back.

Does anyone have a part # for the radiator cap? I've tried twice to find one, but the part #'s that pull up are all much larger than the one on mine... anyone have a picture of their radiator/cap I can see to compare? Maybe I have the wrong radiator...

TremorX said:
Does anyone have a part # for the radiator cap? I've tried twice to find one, but the part #'s that pull up are all much larger than the one on mine... anyone have a picture of their radiator/cap I can see to compare? Maybe I have the wrong radiator...
i just replaced my radiator and the new radiator took a different cap then my 60 was born with...it fits fj62 and fj80. it's dinky compared to original cap...try that.

All the above should fix the problem... but a couple of simple checks are a good idea.

One is to make sure your hoses are not 'soft', which can result in a hose partially collapsing when hot, restricting coolant flow.

Check your thermastat to ensure normal operation. The FSM has the procedure - you heat it in some water and it should pop open at the prescribed temperature.

When the engine is warmed up and running put your hand on the front of the radiator feeling for chamges in temperature - sometimes blockages develop that don't totally disable the cooling, but make it run hot. If you suspect this problem, you can pull the radiator and have it rodded out and pressure tested, then re-install.

Hope ypu find the problem.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom