Builds BurntToast's FJ62 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good!

Here's my take on these.
What do y’all do with the convoluted line from the tank to the charcoal canister?
That upper hard line can be removed. I ran a new hose up from the lower hardline that comes from the gas tank and plan to put a small breather on it and tuck it behind the washer fluid bottle, like @dbbowen mentions in the last paragraph of this post.

How much of this engine harness remains?
I am working through that now. I believe it will be very, very little since most of it is 3fe wiring. Only thing I see so far is the temp sensor (if you're keeping the stock gauge), but I am not done going through it all.

How much of this is stock?
That's pretty gnarly looking, but not aftermarket. Looks similar to mine.
145E3DD7-B203-44BA-BE2A-1708A487C925.jpeg

And for paint, remove as much or as little as you want. Skipping the firewall will save you a few hours of work.

The wiring harness in the engine bay can be trimmed down quite a bit. I tied into my AC and ignition system, kept the headlights and marker lights and everything. I kept the fusible link for added protection, but that one is looking pretty rough like you said. I think @ToyotaMatt sells new ones that would be a great replacement. Mine was in much better shape than the one in your photo

Finally wrapped up the carpet project. It was not without struggles or mistakes. Overall it was worthwhile but I will show the good and bad (mostly my install fault).

Carpet kit instructions from dnp are very useful and I should have read them more carefully. Very excellent insights.

The carpet is molded to the major body shapes of the body, but leaves a bit to be desired. I’ll be honest and say the addition of MLV definitely complicated this so no fault to the manufacture on this part.

First point of trouble, this white beam supports the dash frame ( I think) and requires very careful fitting and trimming. This is my first complaint of the kit, wayyyy to much overhanging material beyond the formed/molded areas. Seems like a easy manufacturing fix to update these borders.

View attachment 3159427

After trimming much of the center console area, the kick plate and dead pedal are next. The instructions say to cut around it but that looks bad in my opinion, carpet should be covered at the edges as default.

Second issue. The heel wear rubber/plastic interferes with the dead pedal (it would sit underneath it). Either you cut the plastic, or remove it.

View attachment 3159433

Not sure if this is a manufacturer issue, an installer issue, or it’s for a 60. I plan to find some rubber mats anyway so this is workable, I cut the stitches and pulled it off.

My pops and I were able to screw the dead pedal over the carpet, so no exposed floor. We removed any MLV in this area.

View attachment 3159452

View attachment 3159439

Either way this leads to a 3rd and final issue, stitching quality. Its pretty average. The plastic wear plates are held on by single stitch and have somewhat poorly hand cut borders. The edges that do have seams, are ok, but can fray if you arent careful. A quick hit with a lighter fixes any of this.

View attachment 3159458

The carpet looks freaking amazing, I really need to do this to mine. Nice tools haha I have those same picks and knipex crimps

Today I am working on engine bay cleaning, and my wife is painstakingly removing the old purplish tint.

View attachment 3173635

View attachment 3173636

View attachment 3173637

View attachment 3173638

I think the more impressive thing here is that you somehow got your wife to work on the truck. When i ask mine she just laughs at me and goes back inside the house

Wife finished up the purple tint, god bless her spending hours with a heat gun, razor blade, elbow grease.

DE7A36D0-551C-4E9C-B4B5-B1AF69923BFD.jpeg

54B89263-9EE2-40AA-B7F7-71703F41FAC6.jpeg

Spent a few hours cleaning rust from battery are and cleaning by hand. @Dubs2017 my man, the amount of grime on every single crevice is killing my progress….

962513E5-8EA5-493E-A174-838B3CE3BA71.jpeg

571B2044-2DF1-42CA-85F9-87061E8FFDE3.jpeg

Also picked up a mini parts washer. Trying it out on the small cover for the tcase. Someone had painted it silver so also stripping that off.

64958FBA-8CF6-4DE3-8C18-4CCF366113C6.jpeg

Spent a few hours cleaning rust from battery are and cleaning by hand. @Dubs2017 my man, the amount of grime on every single crevice is killing my progress….
Progress is looking great. Definitely a laborious task, but will pay off! What did you decide to use for paint?

Progress is looking great. Definitely a laborious task, but will pay off! What did you decide to use for paint?
Couple options I am exploring, happy to hear any feedback. So I am changing the color of the vehicle someday, likely to a gray (maybe Dark Gray Metallic 155). So I ordered a single can of it from these guys. (used them on touch ups before and thought it was solid).

We will spray something to see if I like the color, then either buy more from them, then some 2K clear. Or try something like the eastwood or spraymax products.

I have an HVLP gun from my Cerakote work, but I am pretty green with it.

Small progress in the engine bay but takes way longer than you think to remove, bag and tag the hardware, etc

Everything but the plastic covers are removed from the engine bay. Might pull the steering box as it has some solid slop in it anyway.

5F6636A8-2E30-44F1-91BF-634ABC7408E2.jpeg

3A998CD6-B98C-4CF7-9104-0BF2FC7DAC85.jpeg

Mistakes were made…… fixable?

D86D947C-1C9D-4CE0-A3A1-419E6C3787D6.jpeg

Parts washer did a good job, with some paint stripper. About the best I can do without an abrasive cabinet and yellow zinc baths

BE2D6D3E-B17A-42CA-8A69-C00DF403CA73.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple options I am exploring, happy to hear any feedback. So I am changing the color of the vehicle someday, likely to a gray (maybe Dark Gray Metallic 155). So I ordered a single can of it from these guys. (used them on touch ups before and thought it was solid).

We will spray something to see if I like the color, then either buy more from them, then some 2K clear. Or try something like the eastwood or spraymax products.

I have an HVLP gun from my Cerakote work, but I am pretty green with it.
Very nice. Certainly a great time to change the color up. I debated doing a raptor liner like I’ve seen some folks do, but ran out of time. I'll be curious to see how the Automotive Touch Up stuff lays down. That looks like a great option.

Mistakes were made…… fixable?
That'll happen. I boogered my heater valve pretty good when I wrestled the hoses off. I brought it with me to the radiator shop when I dropped my radiator off for them to add steam port and resize the in/outs. They had some cool little tools that fixed it right up. Worth a shot for your heater core I'd say. I've never had mine out, but there are a few write ups here about getting it out.

Very nice. Certainly a great time to change the color up. I debated doing a raptor liner like I’ve seen some folks do, but ran out of time. I'll be curious to see how the Automotive Touch Up stuff lays down. That looks like a great option.

That'll happen. I boogered my heater valve pretty good when I wrestled the hoses off. I brought it with me to the radiator shop when I dropped my radiator off for them to add steam port and resize the in/outs. They had some cool little tools that fixed it right up. Worth a shot for your heater core I'd say. I've never had mine out, but there are a few write ups here about getting it out.
Sounds good. Might have to reach out to a local shop

Paint is a little ways out, I think waiting till the motor mounts are welded in might be a better idea. Finding a suitable donor is a nightmare. No good LS except people who want $5k for a 250k mile used one....

Interesting, seems like a cool product. I have seen people use it inside/outside the body section, but not engine bay. Wonder if i can color match later?
Yeah i learned about it on kindigit show bitch'n rides. It’s good stuff. I plan on using it to mostly to block heat from my ls swap.

It needs to be top coated. Sound dampener - ceramic - top coat.

Last edited:
Today had to throw a bunch of crap to the dump/convenience center. Rest of the exhaust went with.

IMG_3541.JPG

Decided to test out this paint i got from Automotive Touchup. Figured it would get me close to what I am hoping to paint the vehicle with. Color is Toyota Dark Grey Metallic 155. First I sanded with red scotch brite pads, and self-etching primer on the bare metal.

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

3 base coats, went on nice and smooth. Clear coat was this cheap stuff i had laying around. Ill ordered some 2k in the can, will wetsand and see if i get better results. Lots of orange peel as it stands.

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_E3547.JPG

Not half bad from a rattle can. 2K on order.

This was a quick and dirty test. Very good chance I sand most of it off, get the base material smoother and fill any holes.

Been away with work, family, and some minor injuries, but have returned to keep up some work on engine bay prep.

Had to remove the wheel well section as I couldnt get to the rust on the bolted area and above, with it in the vehicle.

IMG_3609.JPG

Rust surrounding the seam sealer

IMG_3610.JPG

Post pressure washing/oven cleaner

IMG_3612.JPG

Scotch brite pads/sand paper brought me here. Next will be some rust remover, primer, and body filler.

IMG_3614.JPG

Small update, no V8 luck yet. Had an excellent chat about options with @cruisermatt so hopefully progress there soon.

I am a newb to body work, so this is my guess with some research and the products I have available to me. Its also an engine bay. I did a bunch more sanding to get the panel to where i was happy-ish, used some rust remover to get all the rust as good as i could to bare metal.

Hit it with self etching primer (epoxy would be better, but my compressor and spray gun are tiny).

IMG_3660.JPG

Sanded again, and figured I would try my hand at bondo for all the wrinkles and other issues with the stamping.

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG
IMG_3669.JPG

Slowly but surely, getting smoother each time. I have 2K high build epoxy primer coming for when i am done with this. Then the other wheel well will come off the truck to get similar treatment.

Thoughts on the wheel side? Some people suggest Lizard Skin? Seems like a lot of product for an small ish area.

Anyone use these guys for engines?

Getting tired of waiting for the perfect donor. My area of salvage stuff is full of guys promising “perfect running” and it all seems insane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom