Burnt FJ40 Restoration Project. Painted Photos are Posted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

been there done that .keep up the good work

My wife would not only have said NO... but Oh HELLL NO!

What a story you will be able to tell when, or if you sell, or pass it on to a son/daughter.

Now... You have to come up with a good name for this truck. :idea:

Marshmellow? Toasted? Hot Mustard? Fired 40? Fried Mustard? Fired-Up? Barn-Fire? Fire Toy? Burnt Toy?
Over Easy? Sunny Side Up? Torched? The Torch? Half Baked? :D

I was thinking Flaming 40, but then again, maybe not. I am not into naming vehicles either.

Last edited:
Burney

Not much for naming either... It'd be tempting to have a smallish flame logo airbrushed on.

Nice work.

It didn't look so bad to begin with compared to the rust we see.

Awesome job! How much did the sandblasting cost if you don't mind me asking. I'm debating on getting mine done. I fear there is so much bondo underneath my paint.

I paid $250.00 to have the frame and drivetrain blasted. I paid an additional $260.00 to have the tub and hardtop side panels blasted. Its not that expensive and it will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Yea that sounds super reasonable! I live in Southern Maryland and can't seem to find good deals on anything out here, thanks! Excited to see a finished product!

The tub is finally painted! Here are the latest photos for you to see. I realize there are a few mistakes, so be kind. My painter sprayed the seat brackets yellow and bolted them back on the tub. No big deal, he didn't know I wanted them black. I also forgot the rear emblem holes on the passenger rear quarter panel. I was planning on putting a swing out spare tire carrier so I was not too worried about the holes for it.

20150723_201400.jpg

20150723_201410.jpg

20150723_201438.jpg

sweet!!! lol, given what it looked like when you picked it up your "mistakes" are inconsequential ... :cool:

That is a helluva nice looking forgery you have going on in that little shed of yours.

Not sure what you mean by forgery. Are you talking about the red one? If so, that is a 67 FST model. It has factory FJ25 rounded rear quarter panels, (prior owner wrecked it in the late 60's and replaced them then) late model hardtop with the vent windows, removeable roll cage, spring over with 35's, lockers front and rear, Toyota 5 speed, power steering, and it's a diesel. (Non Toyota).

Not sure what you mean by forgery. Are you talking about the red one? If so, that is a 67 FST model. It has factory FJ25 rounded rear quarter panels, (prior owner wrecked it in the late 60's and replaced them then) late model hardtop with the vent windows, removeable roll cage, spring over with 35's, lockers front and rear, Toyota 5 speed, power steering, and it's a diesel. (Non Toyota).

I meant forge, not forgery, not sure how the ry got mixed in there unless I was also thinking foundry when I typed everything out. I was referring to the massive anvil, vice and what looks like a forge in the background. I certainly meant no disrespect to you or your rigs. I apologize for my poor English and lack of proof reading!

I meant forge, not forgery, not sure how the ry got mixed in there unless I was also thinking foundry when I typed everything out. I was referring to the massive anvil, vice and what looks like a forge in the background. I certainly meant no disrespect to you or your rigs. I apologize for my poor English and lack of proof reading!

that made me laugh - my FJ40 would be a forgery because it really isn't a Toyota FJ40 anymore since there is nothing I haven't completely changed or (if it still is Toyota) modified.... his is the opposite.

I think you are doing a really great thing to save this Cruiser from the recyclers. These days with the increasing rarity of parts, it's sad to see rebuildable Cruisers being targeted by non-Cruiser auto dismantlers for parts. It drives up parts prices on the one hand, and decreases the pool of survivors on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom