Burning up my spark plug boot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I built up a 350 with Edelbrock E-Tech Aluminum heads and Corvette 2.5" Ram Horn exhaust manafolds and every time I get on the freeway (when the engine is really working) I burn through one of my spark plug wire boots that is near the exhaust manafold. The engine starts misfiring on the manafold and then I need to replace the wire. This isn't a cost effecient way of dealing with the problem so I'm wondering what other people do to fix this. The best solution I can think of is to take the manafod off and have about 1/8" ground off near the spark plug. Any suggestions?

I'm a little upset at Edelbrock for "moving spark plug holes more to center of cylinder for better combustion"... ugh.

Howdy! Most speed shops carry a variety of plug wire sets with assorted boot shapes. Straight, 30-45-90 degree are available.Think they still make "header" boots that are more resistant to the heat. John

I have also seen U-shaped sheetmetal heat shields that are attached via the manifold bolts.
GL

Ed

I have also seen U-shaped sheetmetal heat shields that are attached via the manifold bolts.
GL

Ed

These heat shields came factory stock on many of the GM V-8 motors through the 60's.

Don

I haven't found any heatshields yet, but I used the generic heat shield tubes from the auto droid store with good luck so far. Once I put a small mech fan to supplement my electric it dropped my floorboard and underhood temps. I am taking out the electric in favor of a big mechanical to keep things cooler. Without a sleeve I was burning 4 & 5 (if I can count right), haven't had trouble since.

AutoZone.com | Spark Plug Tube Insulator

These heat shields came factory stock on many of the GM V-8 motors through the 60's.

Don
Howdy! I still have the OEM ones on my 77 350. There were several different styles. I think there are special ones for headers. John

Howdy! I still have the OEM ones on my 77 350. There were several different styles. I think there are special ones for headers. John

But he has Ram's Horn cast manifolds, not headers:hmm:

how are your wires routed ? over the manifolds or under behind the manifolds ? how much did edelbrock change the plug location ? can you post pics ? here are some pics with the first pic being from morosso's web site of there under the manifold looms and the next two pics are of my set up using there looms and Chevy style heat shields. you can get the heat shields off of ebay for $15.00 to $20.00 if i remember right just search spark plug wire heat shields or Chevy spark plug wire heat shields. they bolt to a hole in the block below the manifolds not to the manifolds. and you can get the looms on ebay too, just search under header spark plug wire looms or under exhaust manifold spark plug wire looms. they will run you about $25.00 to $30.00 plus ship. of coarse this is if this set up will even work with your heads. and you might need to buy cut to fit wires, the Taylors i used will cost you around $100.00 + or - and i know the pics aren't the best but its 1 am and i not going out to take more right now.good luck! :cheers:
5ed0_1.jpg
pics tpi 032.jpg
pics tpi 038.jpg

Well I don't think that the routing of the wires has anything to do with this problem because it is the actual boot that is getting burned out. Anyways I'm running the wires on the front two cylenders down then around the from of the head along the top of the intake manafold. The back two cylenders go down and around the back of the head.

Please see the picts... you can see where the one boot (on cyl 5) is really close to the manafold and the boot has hardened and cracked due to heat and the spark jumping to the manafold.

Do you think a head shield will fit between the boot and the manafold and even if it does will it help because they are so close?

Has anyone used these? ACCEL 170079 - ACCEL Spark Plug Wire Sleeving – SummitRacing.com Do they actually work?
img1.JPG
img2.JPG
img3.JPG

I have the same issue. Napa makes an exhaust cloth type type shield for each plug wire. I think they are 50 or more for 8.

I have made a temp. set using exhaust pipe wrap. I used them running the Rubicon and they worked just fine.

I believe the plugs are moved slightly closer to center on vortec style heads, and that combined with the larger 2.5" collector ram's horns results in a burned boot and arcing. You might PM "trona" on this board. I know he went through this exact problem with a 383 vortec & 2.5" manifolds. Finally settled on Accel ceramic boot wires and said he hasn't had any trouble since. The boot is rated to 2000F. I looked at them a few weeks ago at Rubicon and there was virtually no clearance with the manifold just like your photo.

ACCEL 9001C - ACCEL Pro Fit Ceramic Spark Plug Wire Sets – SummitRacing.com

burnt plug wires

I went through this same problem on my vortec with rams horns.
I tryed fireproof socks the champion straight ceramic end wires, then 90 deg champion ceramic. all ultimatly failed after about 4 hour of hot freeway.
The best solution by far have been accel 90deg exstreme 9000 wires so far a trip to utah and a lot of daily driving and still no failures

Try Insultherm Spark Plug Boot Insulators. Also sold under MSD I believe in pairs. ALso check for 3M Nextel™ Spark Plug Boot Insulators. I had a 427 corvette with headers that put the plugs within a quarter inch of the headers and the same thing happened to me all the time until I put these over the boot.

I guess the combination of ram horns and vortec heads didn't exist so maybe I'll lay off Edelbrock :)

Anyways, thanks for the info. Those Accel wires are PRICY but if it gets the job done then I'll givem a try.

I also have Vortec heads and 2.5 inch rams horns and have been burning through plug wires also. I have tried the msd boot insulators with moderate success. If I use a small diameter (thin) plug end they last for a trip or two. The larger diameter don't last a trip. I notice you are in San Jose. I'm Los Gatos. I'll send you a pm and maybe we can contact on the phone.
Buzz

Accel wires

Ok, this is what it looks like now (sorry for the bad picture) and from the look of these ceramic boots I don't think I'll have a problem anymore.
IMG_2092.JPG

Anymore feedback on these Accell Ceramics?

My boots are burning with my ram's horns and this looks like a good fit.

Spendy @ $140...but if they work...

110-9001C.jpg

If anyone cares, I found this setup on Amazon for $111 delivered.

It's on its way and I will report back once it is in.

After I got a look see at this, I figured it was next on the list of PM...
plugwire.jpg

A little information for those who try these wires...

Putting the boots on is an absolute bitch and the ONLY lube that worked for me was silicone.

I tried the dielectric grease, soap, WD40, KY, etc... and none of it worked. Save yourself the effort and buy some silicone. Not to mention, it won't hurt the silicone wires.

Spray the wire, and the inside of the boot... get the wire to the bend in the boot then spray a liberal amount of silicone in the boot and work the wire past the bend by pushing firmly. Save yourself the 1 hour of frustration that I spent and just do it this way, it works.

Also, the stupid little crimping blocks that come with the kit are a completely worthless waste of metal and should be tossed in the recycler right out of the bag. Large needle-nose pliers did the job just fine. Don't waste your money on the $50 crimping tool unless you are doing sparkplug wires for a living.

I find it odd that such a huge, well-known company like Accel has such worthless, poorly written and s***tily drawn instructions that look like a 1st grader put them together. Also, I am convinced that they put the crimping blocks in there just to maximize your frustration level so you will freak out and buy their expensive crimping tool. There can be no other explanation for such stupidity.

Anyway, rant over...

Wonder if I was getting any arc or missing with my old set of wires... :rolleyes:
Plugwire1.jpg
Plugwire2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom