Burning smell coming from engine 92 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just put in a new exhaust because there was a check engine light due to non existent cats and o2 sensors.

Now the check engine light is gone but there is a burning smell coming from the engine. Could this be the exhaust gaskets brining off that I put in? What should I check for? I'm planning on bringing this in to smog soon and don't want this to throw any alarm bells.

Thanks

I should mention there was no burning smell prior to putting in the new exhaust and o2 sensors.

Likely just oils and such burning off the new metal. I'd expect it.

Did you use penetrating oil to remove the old exhaust components? If so it's likely just oil from your work and possibly other residues on the new exhaust parts burning off.

To be careful you can check your fluids, do an inspection to see if the smoke appears to be coming off of the exhaust or somewhere else. If the smoke seems like it's just coming off of the exhaust surfaces you may want to do a quick drive to get it all up to temp and burned off or you could also let it cool then do an engine/exhaust clean and degrease to try to get rid of some of the residue that way first...

If all you changed was in the exhaust area then it's unlikely that you have a big leak or other issue.

Did you use penetrating oil to remove the old exhaust components? If so it's likely just oil from your work and possibly other residues on the new exhaust parts burning off.

To be careful you can check your fluids, do an inspection to see if the smoke appears to be coming off of the exhaust or somewhere else. If the smoke seems like it's just coming off of the exhaust surfaces you may want to do a quick drive to get it all up to temp and burned off or you could also let it cool then do an engine/exhaust clean and degrease to try to get rid of some of the residue that way first...

If all you changed was in the exhaust area then it's unlikely that you have a big leak or other issue.

I used a ton of penetrating oil cause it was rusty. Good to know. I'll drive around for a bit to see if it's still a problem. Thanks for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom