Bumps on my 78’s rear tub/fenders? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another custom SST :) for engine rotation/valve adjustment. Timing set and valves adjusted hot now. Touch wood - everything sounds good/strong so far. And at this point no more oil on the garage floor!

valve_adj_1.jpg

valve_adj_2.jpg

A driver handle with a flex joint and a 10mm socket was what Jim Beach called the "special Land Cruiser tool". In many situations (like dealing with hardware on a hardtop) these drivers work much better/faster than ratchets, etc. They worked great on the engine side lifter cover, etc. too.

cruiser_tool_web.jpg

I found the RSS feed and added it to my reader.

This is one of my favorite builds on Mud. I'm looking forward to more updates. I appreciate how much effort and learning have been involved in the process, and how you managed to keep it on the road for so much of that process. Inspirational stuff here, @Gusb! I wish I was still traveling to Redwood City regularly for work so I could see it in person, but those days are long gone.

I found the RSS feed and added it to my reader.

This is one of my favorite builds on Mud. I'm looking forward to more updates. I appreciate how much effort and learning have been involved in the process, and how you managed to keep it on the road for so much of that process. Inspirational stuff here, @Gusb! I wish I was still traveling to Redwood City regularly for work so I could see it in person, but those days are long gone.
Thanks for the kind words tlaporte!

Did some hammer/dolly work on the timing cover. Rattled-canned it and banged the new seal in. Like I had thought, the Toyota seal was larger (deeper) than the Spanish one the PO had stuck in there before.

Cleaned everything with acetone and put together some temporary hardware for the areas on the cover that thread into the block. My idea was to get the end plate securely on the block and approach sealing the timing cover later as a separate task. Used gasket sealant from Permatex (#80062) on both sides of the Toyota gasket. Don't know if that stuff is proper but like what it does so far. Used a big screwdriver and adjustable wrench to get the stock flat screws in tight (decided to pass on the torx - long story) and staked them as best I could. Added blue Loctite to the 2 large bolts. So the plate is in place with additional temp screws tightened a bit in the "cover related" block holes.

Banged the crank gear back on, hard to tell how far on it goes. Oiled up the cam and carefully tried to slide it back in without hurting the bearings. Strange trip dealing with that cam and not knowing what you're doing. Lined up the marks, got the cam home and torqued the 2 cam bolts with more blue Loctite. Oiled up each lifter and put them back in the holes they came from. A couple needed a few delicate moves before they would side back in. The replacement lifter went in with what felt like a good fit.

Cleaned the push rods with acetone and oiled each one before they went back in the same holes. Earlier I had covered the lifter areas and pushed a wipe through each hole (in the head) to knock out the chunks of gunk that were in there. Wiped the rocker assembly and got it back on and torqued down. Still had trouble remembering how to adjust the valves. Had to go back to my old post from 10 years back :). Went through all the valves twice, checking everything - cold of course at this point.

View attachment 2059059

View attachment 2059061

View attachment 2059062
Love the build... have missed this thread somehow!

Quick question... you used Permatex (#80062) on the timing/end block plate gasket? That is the paper gasket between the block and plate, right? Just want to make sure I followed you correctly.

Thanks!

Love the build... have missed this thread somehow!

Quick question... you used Permatex (#80062) on the timing/end block plate gasket? That is the paper gasket between the block and plate, right? Just want to make sure I followed you correctly.

Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply. Yeah - if I remember correctly, but a really light use of it. Still don't know if that's the correct stuff but it seems to have held up well.

Interesting. What are the brand marks on those? One looks Japanese.

Are ball pens used for body work?
It's been over 6 years, but I did some digging and found O.H. Industrial as the most prominent hammers in that photo:

Looks like O.H. Industrial is the OEM for the TOYOTA branded hammer:

Last edited:
Just finished all 56 pages (over a couple days), very inspiring as I dig into my own 40. Any updates? Recent photos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom