Bumpers ... Stronger always better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is probably a really dumb ask.. but in terms of protecting the vehicle’s frame, is a big solid strong bumper going to be better or worse for the frame in an impact versus the factory style lighter weight bumper?

I’m guessing there are a lot of variables ( ie. force of impact, direction, design of bumper, etc), but in general terms does the more rigid bumper protect the frame?

not an engineer, but I would think if the bumper is too stout the crumple zone will move to the next weak area, most likely the frame.
you want some form of protection to reduce the forces

Attachment of bumper is important. Look at spreading the load as much as you can. Look at how I built my rear
bumper. Its in my signature line. Up front I have a 4+ front bumper. It uses as many of factory holes in front frame horns as possible.
Weight is your enemy, you don't want to use 1/8" for your structure and have it twist with every bump. Heavier than 3/16" and
it's almost just dead weight. You want the bumper to protect solid up to a point. GR 8 bolts that dont' shear are important, if they
shear off that can lead to no protection.
I'm a big fan of 4+, 4x4Labs. 4X4Labs changed their mounting a short time ago, it's slick and I like it best. complicated bumper though.
Before I bought and built I looked at hundreds, literally from everywhere.

Its all about absorbing the shock of a head on one way or another. The more everything crushes up front, the better chance the occupants might survive. If the front doesn’t crumple, the passengers will — but a high speed impact with a deer shouldn’t total the vehicle. That’s too much crumpling.

ARB bull bars look massive and invincible, but they’re made out of very malleable steel. They’re really soft and easy to bend - which is good.

Great info!

It sounds like for safety the lighter bumper is better?

Great info!

It sounds like for safety the lighter bumper is better?
Not too light. I've read an expression about how if the bar assembly on the bumper bends back and then damages the fender
it was protecting then there is something wrong with it. Not necessarily, I'd rather unbolt and repair a bumper, and some
fender or light damage than try to repair catastrophic damage to the entire front corner of my truck.
But too heavy is just that, it's the compromise you want to figure out you are comfortable with. Everyone has a different
level of what they look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom