Bumperette question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the search, looked at the pictures, and still quite can't make out whether or not for a 79 FJ40 if the "curvy" part of the bumperette is inboard or outboard when mounted. I even remember reading a previous post discussing this...my search skills are weak:mad:

Anyone want to voice an opinion?

Thanks

Dave

I'll answer in a different way but maybe it will help.

Stock 2-'75 fj40, curvy part is on the bottom...flat on top.

John

Curvy is on the bottom, and the more straight sides go on the side while the curvy side goes in. Some people get that confused as well. The way I remember it is that you want more room for your feet when you use the hitch.

Clarification...

What I meant to ask in a clear manner was this; does the curved side (not top or bottom) go inboard or outboard.

Pinion, that was my rational also, more room for the feet on the step, but it seems I've seen it both ways in the pictures I've been able to find.

Anyone else have a good picture with a view from the top looking down at the bumperette mounted on a 79?

Cheers, and keep on Cruising!

Dave

the true solution is based on placement of a factory step which dictates the CURVES go to the OUTSIDE.

(sheesh, why do I retain this cruiser related trivia....)

the true solution is based on placement of a factory step which dictates the CURVES go to the OUTSIDE.

(sheesh, why do I retain this cruiser related trivia....)

Exactly. Curve outboard to allow for the step.
bumperettes.jpg

According to Cool Cruisers of Texas...

Right and Left Bumperett Positioning
trans_1x1.gif

Yes, Toyota Bumperetts are handed ~ Rt & Lt
The straight side of horseshoe goes outside
The curved side of horseshoe goes inside towards step

I searched for this info a couple of weeks ago and based upon what I found plus looking a lots of pics - I thought I figured out that curved side goes in. Now I see differing opinions. I can't see what it has to do with the step because the step will fit either way.

What is correct? Not just how they are on your rig - but correct.

BTW, I've purchased 2 sets of new bumperettes and still don't have one set without scratches in the PC. Why can't Toyota package these things well enough to prevent damage?

These are the bumperettes on my '79BJ40. They have NEVER been removed from the vehicle, this is how Toyota mounted them. I know this because it had only 7 km on it at the dealers when I took it for a test drive in May of '79 and the 4 km added to that when I bought it were mine. (It is a Jan '79 build, Jan was the month they went from the fuel tank under the passenger seat to the fuel tank under the tub).The bumperettes have obviously taken a bit of abuse but this may help. The curvy part is on the inside.

Sorry, even with my camera set on VGA the pictures used too much memory for this forum, I don't have time to mess with it right now, might try again tomorrow.

At this point, who cares. Personal preference I guess.
It looks balanced on both sides.

looked thru some lit......I almost think they are random or maybe depedent of the year and style to step(at least 2 versions) I kinda think late models have the curve inboard

mine and a german late model

40641851.jpg

111024842.jpg

i was wondering if you were gonna post up landpimp, knowing you have a ton of lit .it COULD be dependent on the type of rear step ,neet find .early step mounted with it's own bolts .,later step mounted with the bumperette bolts . cool .
step.jpg
step%201.jpg

I've decided...

Sorry to generate a bit of controversy over bumperette curvature orientation:rolleyes:

I'm going with "curvy side" inboard!

Picture to follow (mainly to show off my Aqualu storage tailgate!)

Cheers, and thanks to all who participated!

Dave

Picture of my backside...

O.K.

Here it is...curvy side inboard and some other things hung on to the body!

Cheers,
dsc0216.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom