bumper ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I thought I might draw something up in Inventor this time rather than just start cuttin up steel. My idea is to cut out the old crossmember/ bumper and replace it with something like this tucked back in. I hate the 6-8" of bumper currently hanging out in space. i really don't like the idea of buidling off of that as others have done.

Gumby, remind me in the am and I'll shoot you off as many pics as I have (if you want them) of mine before it was tossed on the truck. It may give you some reinforcement ideas.

Gumby, I had one designed out in solidworks a few weeks ago with a swing away tire mount. I had considered cutting a few inches off the back frame then having the bumper angle in the back so it would better the departure angle. Let me know how your finished product ends up.

Trent

Hey CAD dudes... my real job is in rapid prototyping, let me know if you would like to do some solid models of anything you're designing (scaled down, of course) made with Stereolithography. All I need is an .stl file, just a 'save as' from SolidWorks, ProE, Inventor, UG.... let me know if you'd like more info. -tim

I would like that exact bumper for the rear of the '99 100.

Thanks,

uzj100

Todd,

I'm about 70% done with my rear bumper...looks similar to yours except there's a more beefy rear x-member to replace the oem one. The x-member is designed for heavy duty recovery work so it's prolly more heavy than needed. The side wings are curved to match the factory plastic pieces and tuck into the mud flaps nicely. Come on by and check it out.

I was thinking about doing this as well...

Was going to model up a bumper, develop the flat patterns, prototype in cardboard and then get the metal lazer cut.

If we came up with a design that many people liked the cost of doing 20 sets is about the same as doing 1 set except for the material cost. This would not be for a finished bumper mind you, just all the parts to weld together and powdercoat.

Nakman, we need to talk... been thinking about designing a custom front mudflap to work with the slider of choice. Would do a rubber plaster mold off an SLA master and then cast the flaps in urethane. Again the same price to do 20 sets as it is to do 1 except for material.

Right on, that's exactly what we do here, SLA masters and silicone RTV molding.. here's our web site http://www.protogenic.com let me know what you have in mind... I'd be interested in a set of custom slider mud flaps as well that's a cool idea.

I'm trying to resist overbuilding like I usually do. I am going to weld in a 2x4x3/16 crossmember about 8" back of the current one before I cut the old one out to avoid any movement. Then I'll feel better about bolting in the replacement bumper as well.

Alia

I'd love to see some pics of your bumper in progress. Have any? Not sure where you're located or I might drop by also.

I have the frame whacked off on my truck like you guys are talking aout, the only issue I see is having room for a tire carrier which you may not be planning on, but I am, I really like the bumper though, Brad.

I'll take some pics this week for you Snow. It's still very rough so give me a few days to make it more presentable! I live in Bolingbrook, IL

Gumby,
I'm using a 2x4x3/16 for a cross member and it'll be the anchor for the hitch receiver tube. Since the receiver tube gets pulled hard during recovery (upwards of 15,000 lb), I chose to overbuild the cross member. Can't go wrong here I figure!

Later,
Ali

[quote author=thorvald link=board=2;threadid=13132;start=msg121449#msg121449 date=1079367836]
how bout posting some pics here Junk? Id like to see your bumper, along with info
[/quote]

See pics in this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9684;start=0. I have other ones from before it was mounted that I shot off to Gumby this am.

How does CNC work? You just save that Cad stuff to a file, dump it to a few machines and wham bam thank you mam you get parts? I assume it's not that easy.

depends on your software, but yeah, pretty much that easy. If you have a CNC laser bed or plasma bed, you could take my drawings and cut the peices. If you got a big enough brake, I could have Inventor treat my bumper as a sheet and give you the cuts and bends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom