Bumper Hoop Legalities (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a question. I'm thinking of making a front bumper hoop, and one for the rear as well, for that matter, and am curious if that violates any bumper height laws. Granted, I've seen plenty of them on the road that are vertical or very near, but what I'd like to make is one that comes either out of the bumper, or under the bumper and sticks out at about a 60 deg angle. I've seen bumpers this style sold in plenty of 4x mags, but curious if my local "John Law" will disapprove. My thoughts are it would be a "no", seeing that there are maximum allowable bumper heights
(designed to keep our taller rigs from sliding atop other shorter vehicles in the event of a collision).
I enjoy driving my 40 on and off the trail, and want to continue to stay legal, if not close to legal.
I am in Wa State.

Thanks

Can not visualize what you are talking about. Do you have a link to something similar or a picture?

I think that if you search the WA state motor vehicle laws, that if they are like MN, you can read through them online, the info about bumpers should be spelled out very clear...'should be' is loose here, there are lawers involved so...

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=willsta2000 link=board=1;threadid=10732;start=msg96430#msg96430 date=1075320516]
Got a question. I'm thinking of making a front bumper hoop, and one for the rear as well, for that matter, and am curious if that violates any bumper height laws. Granted, I've seen plenty of them on the road that are vertical or very near, but what I'd like to make is one that comes either out of the bumper, or under the bumper and sticks out at about a 60 deg angle. I've seen bumpers this style sold in plenty of 4x mags, but curious if my local "John Law" will disapprove. My thoughts are it would be a "no", seeing that there are maximum allowable bumper heights
(designed to keep our taller rigs from sliding atop other shorter vehicles in the event of a collision).
I enjoy driving my 40 on and off the trail, and want to continue to stay legal, if not close to legal.
I am in Wa State.

Thanks

[/quote]

I was under the impression that the bumper height laws are concerning the lowest part of the bumper, not the highest

And it is to prevent smaller vehicles from going under the rear of the taller vehicle. Look at the rear of a trailer in any tractor-trailer combo. The must have an 'ICC' bumper that prevents cars from wedging under the wheels in the event of a rear end collision.(It is that half H type of an affair on the rear of the trailers)

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom