Bumper design... upload some pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H2o

Threads
Hey all,

I am looking for some input on bumper design. I want to design a bumper for my 40. I like the bumper design that comes first in the bumper picture section of IH8mud or something similar.

I wanted to get peoples opinions about bumper design. There were a few concerns i had... :confused:

1. i don't want adding weight for the sake of adding weight. I want a design the protects the vehicle at low impact, or when wheeling.

2. Most of the designs i have seen put alot of steel and connect it directly to the chassi. It seems like in an accident, there would not be any absorbtion of the chock and the impact would seriously damage the chassi.

If anyone has other good pointers, i would be happy to hear.

Upload some pictures of good designs...

Thanks. Cheers :beer:
idahofj-1temp.jpg

H2o said:
2. Most of the designs i have seen put alot of steel and connect it directly to the chassi. It seems like in an accident, there would not be any absorbtion of the chock and the impact would seriously damage the chassi.

You'll have to decide whether you want it strong or want it to absorb shock. Getting both may prove impossible or at least unfeasible.

H2o said:

You make this statement, and then post up a picture of a very stout front bumper with a winch, that is mounted to the frame, and would transmit the inertia of a frontal impact directly to the frame, as would any bumper worth mounting a winch to on the front of these trucks....

I would like you to elaborate on your statement above, and post pictures of things that you have seen that you do not like and why....perhaps then you may get some constructive ideas on what it is exactly you are looking for...

If you are looking for crumple zones on your 40 series....that would be the fenders, rocker panels, and the quarters....

These trucks are at a minimum of 21 years old, on a 50+ year old platform...

I am not quite sure what it is you are after here...

Good luck!

-Steve

Bumper

I have allways though I would rely on the other vehicle to crumple and an accident. And to be honest......it hasn't failed me yet. I have had a couple people pull out in front of me and get T boned. The one time I bent my license plate but thats it. The nice thing was that it was a heep that pulled out. Unibody turned boomerang.

I say build them strong. If its a daily driver that only sees traffic maybe reconsider. You will have a bigger chance of getting in an accident. Just about any bumper will be coneected directly to the frame....so crumple zones don't really exist unless its a big impact...

Good luck,
Tyler

you will not get a bumper that absorbs the shock like these new fancy german cars you see on the road, you get in a bad enough wreck to mess your frame up i think that would be the last of your worries,

that said i say build something that looks bitchin. something you like.

Strong bumpers on vintage steel VS. plastic modern cars.
Only one real winner
In an accident it is all about survival for you and yours in the vehicle
not the other motorist.

If you really really want a front bumper/crumple zone. Make one out of square honey comb titanium. With a high density foam outer crumple zone.
just my wacky .02
good luck

H2o, thats my rig you have posted, the bumper is one of the earlier units from 4+. Very stout but well worth it.

Idahofj

arnott1t said:
I have allways though I would rely on the other vehicle to crumple and an accident. And to be honest......it hasn't failed me yet. I have had a couple people pull out in front of me and get T boned. The one time I bent my license plate but thats it. The nice thing was that it was a heep that pulled out. Unibody turned boomerang.

Good luck,
Tyler

The other vehicle is the crumple zone. I like that

Hi All:

I think one can have a bit of both on a 40 Series; both some "crumble zone" for an accident, and a stout, frame connected mount for the self-recovery winch.

On my FJ40 when I decided to replace the stock front bumper that seemed to come home bent at the end of each off-road outing I re-used the stock triangular mounting plates between the frame and the bumper (which I believe offers some "crumble zone advantage) along with some 1/4 inch thick "C" channel for the front bumper! ;) The electric winch on my Land Cruiser uses a Man-A-Fre mounting plate that bolts to the two frame rails.

Rejoyce in having a vehicle able to survive an accident! Especially if you really like your rig! ;))

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

idahofj said:
H2o, thats my rig you have posted, the bumper is one of the earlier units from 4+. Very stout but well worth it.

Idahofj

Hey Idahofj... did you design it? How did you bend the steel like that? is the tube one single piece? I wanted to copy the design but make it out of lighter gauge steel. :confused:

Idahofj I have seen your bumper on here before and have always liked it. Do you ever get down south? I am in BOI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom