Bumper-Bumper warranty about to expire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1997 LX450 has 99763 miles. The CPO warranty will expire sometime next week. I have an appointment scheduled with my service technician on Monday Nov 21. What should I have him look for before ALL repairs are on my nickle?

Thanks in advance.

Knuckles, head gasket, valve cover gasket, upper pan for leaking.

Pink panties still good? :princess: :D

When I inherited this vehicle from my wife, I made her put the pink panties in her new car. And yes, they are still good! :)

BTW - This vehicle is completely stock. I told myself I wouldn't do any mods until the warranty expired. This will allow the expiration of the warranty to have a bright side!

standfas said:
My 1997 LX450 has 99763 miles. The CPO warranty will expire sometime next week. I have an appointment scheduled with my service technician on Monday Nov 21. What should I have him look for before ALL repairs are on my nickle?

Thanks in advance.

99,763 Miles – 79 Months

Automatic Transmission Fluid
Ball Joints and Dust Covers
Brake Lines and Hoses
Brake Linings/ Brake Pads/ Discs
Charcoal Canister (CA, MA and NY Vehicles)
Differential Oil
Drive Belts
Drive Shaft Boots
Engine Air Filter
Engine Coolant
Engine Oil and Filter
Engine Valve Clearance
Exhaust Pipes and Mountings
Fuel Lines and Connections, Fuel Tank Band and Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
Nuts and Bolts on Chassis and body
Propeller Shaft
Radiator Core and Condenser
Spark Plugs
Steering Gear Box
Steering Knuckle Grease
Steering Linkage and Boots
Tire Rotation
Transfer Case Oil
Wheel Bearing and Driveshaft Bushing Grease

Oh man...I can hear your power steering pump groaning from here. You should get that replaced.

And your starter...how it intermittently doesn't start when you turn the key in the ignition -- all you can hear is a "click"? Starter should be replaced too.

You windshield washer diverter valve gizmo...that's seems to be squirting fluid in the front when you want to wash the rear hatch window...time for a new one...

That's about I'll I'd have them do if my CPO were about to run out...

Or...rather...I should say, That's what I had them do when MY CPO was about to run out. :D

LX_TREME said:
99,763 Miles – 79 Months

Automatic Transmission Fluid
Ball Joints and Dust Covers
Brake Lines and Hoses
Brake Linings/ Brake Pads/ Discs
Charcoal Canister (CA, MA and NY Vehicles)
Differential Oil
Drive Belts
Drive Shaft Boots
Engine Air Filter
Engine Coolant
Engine Oil and Filter
Engine Valve Clearance
Exhaust Pipes and Mountings
Fuel Lines and Connections, Fuel Tank Band and Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
Nuts and Bolts on Chassis and body
Propeller Shaft
Radiator Core and Condenser
Spark Plugs
Steering Gear Box
Steering Knuckle Grease
Steering Linkage and Boots
Tire Rotation
Transfer Case Oil
Wheel Bearing and Driveshaft Bushing Grease

This is all nice...but the CPO won't cover it.
Most, if not all, of this is considered standard maintenance.
Nice try though :)

I'd check the following:
1. starter (any starter contact probs? are you sure?)
2. birfs (any clicking, any leaks from front end?)
3. rear main seal or other oil seal leaks (any oil leaks?)
4. front/rear windshield washer diverter (diverter often goes bad so rear washer doesn't work- many don't notice because they don't use it)
5. radiator (check condition of coolant- is it clear? look in radiator and check for "gunk", also check flow through radiator to ensure it is not clogged- common problem)
6. cigarette lighter (sometimes starts having loose contact)
7. O2 sensors (I've heard an "on-the-way-out" O2 sensor can start affecting fuel economy before actually triggering a CEL.) This was the case on mine, at least.

(I had all of the above covered in my CPO warranty before it expired in June of this year)

Also:

7. headgasket- do overflow-bottle-bubble test + visual inspection to check head gasket (you never know)
8. check for stuck brake calipers
9. make sure your A/C is working in top form (condensor making any weird noises?)
10. power steering pump (making any strange noises?)
11. fan clutch (make sure this is working properly)
12. CD changer working ok?
13. check all power locks/windows/sunroof operation, ensure key works in all locks

Last edited:
I would almost be tempted to smear a good bit of oily grease on the knuckles just to get it done under the warranty, although I did not say that and am not condoning it.

Antenna working okay?
I had that replaced under CPO too.

Not the exterior -- chrome finish part (not covered), but the internal workings...

That's quite a list. Some of the things have already been done. However, that smeared grease on the the front end sure has piqued my interest. I wonder what a grease smear that would call for a front axle job would look like (wink, wink).

I have noticed a little moan from the power steering pump. The rear washer diverter needs to be replaced, for the second time.

One thing I want them to check is the transmission. It takes about 15 miles of driving at 50 mph before it will shift into OD. It also seems like it has some slack,for lack of a better word, in it. Anyone else notice this in theirs?

With the number of items on this list maybe I'll be able to put the Thanksgiving trip mileage on their loaner than one of my vehicles. :)

Thanks for helping this long time lurker.

This board is a GREAT resource!

standfas said:
That's quite a list. Some of the things have already been done. However, that smeared grease on the the front end sure has piqued my interest. I wonder what a grease smear that would call for a front axle job would look like (wink, wink).

I have noticed a little moan from the power steering pump. The rear washer diverter needs to be replaced, for the second time.

One thing I want them to check is the transmission. It takes about 15 miles of driving at 50 mph before it will shift into OD. It also seems like it has some slack,for lack of a better word, in it. Anyone else notice this in theirs?

With the number of items on this list maybe I'll be able to put the Thanksgiving trip mileage on their loaner than one of my vehicles. :)

Thanks for helping this long time lurker.

This board is a GREAT resource!

Oh man...I miss the days of the loaner. I'd call ahead and reserve an IS300 and have a blast on their dime.

PS pump groaning? It could be resolved in other ways, but if they'll pay for it, put it on the list.
Slack in the tranny, if I understand what you're describing is considered normal. I don't quite understand what you mean by the 15 miles at 50mph before OD -- that doesn't sound normal.

Grease on the birfs? Search on "birf soup" -- you might come up with a pic or two ;).

My dealer only loans out RX330 or ES330. The IS would make the trip much more enjoyable driving through the Texas Hill Country. The loaners will be missed. However, my wife has CPO RX330 we'll be able to milk for another 75000 miles. Gotta love Lexus CPO program. ;)

The best way I can describe the slack is there is a slight hesitation, almost like it's winding up when I am rolling around 2-5 mph and then accelerate. Not aggressive, just normal acceleration.

The other transmission issue is when I start off in the morning, I travel 10-15 miles down the road before the transmission will upshift into overdrive. As the weather has gotten colder, this issue has worsened.

Other than these items, the transmission seems to shift properly. Smooth up and downshifts on the highway

The transmission will not go into overdrive until the engine temp has reached a certain operating temperature. This is normal as you describe it.

[The transmission will not go into overdrive until the engine temp has reached a certain operating temperature. This is normal as you describe it.]

That makes me feel much better.

Although I wouldn't have said "no" to a brand new tranny. ;)

mooker82 said:
The transmission will not go into overdrive until the engine temp has reached a certain operating temperature. This is normal as you describe it.
Really?
First I've heard of it.

Dang. Learned 2 new things today. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom