"Bull Elk" high pitched screaming under heavy load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High pitched squeal similar to a bull elk's bugle with some mechanical grinding-ish noise thrown in.

91 FJ80 with lift and 32's.
I get a high pitched squeal under heavy load such as:
* Climbing mountains in Pennsylvania - steep enough incline that the road has truck run-off ramps
If I let off the accelrator the noise stops. Resume application of accelerator, and it almost always returns.
I had to stay under 35-40 MPH to ensure the noise did not return
* hard acceleration - like merging onto interstate (mostly only if it downshifts)

My 87 (almost bone stock) FJ60 makes the same noise if I stay in gear a bit too long while accelerating hard.
I don't drive these like race cars, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do accleration-wise.

Belts look OK and don't seem adversely loose (I have a problem with over-tightening things once I touch them).

Any help appreciated.

U-Joints / Drive shaft?

I’ll go out on a limb and say most of us don’t know what a bull elk sounds like.

Nonetheless, there are tons and tons of squeal and whistle threads here. Exhaust whistle is the most common.

I don't have a 3-fe and am not a great mechanic - maybe a slipping engine belt that only slips with enough engine load? Just throwing out ideas.

Wait. They have mountains in Pennsylvania?

The noise is not exactly like the elk, but similar to that high pitched squeal and loud (at least in the passenger compartment). It is a "that can't be good" kind of noise.

I will try and take a video if I get the noise during this trip - I suspect I will.

I knew I was going to get comments about the mountains of the eastern US. I am all for good fun and ribbing. I am actually from Ohio, so we don't have any Mountains, just steep hills down near the Ohio River in the SE corner (where I will be hunting in about 2 days)

Do you also hear glunks and chuckles? Perhaps belt pulleys but I haven't seen an elk with pulleys so I'm kinda lost here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom