Built Some Window Screens for the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

S4Cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Wanted to take a break from working on my new to me 40 and give the 80 some love so I figured I'd attempt to make a set of screens for the 3rd row windows. I sleep in the back from time to time and with the summer coming the darn mosquitoes make it near impossible to leave the windows open while sleeping without some type of screen.

I made a template out of cardboard then transferred that to 1/4" 3ply sheets. Free handed the inside with the jigsaw. Painted them black and bent some 'T' brackets to attach the screen with a suction cup.

Here are some pics of the finished product...not too shabby if I do say so myself :grinpimp:.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

NICE, very very nice! :cheers:

How did you stretch the netting so nicely and secured it?

Thanks!

The netting streched really easy. I used 1/4" staples on the back side of the frame to secure the screen.

Cool and good job. Just stay away from tree branches while driving on the trail!

Yeah these are more for "attach when you get to camp" vs. while you wheel. A tree branch would destroy them pretty quickly.

Cool modification. I ran into this problem when I tried to sleep on the side of the road during a road trip.

How do you get the frame to stay flush to the window? Is there something in between the frame and the window to get a good seal? Or do the suction cups hold it tight enough by themselves.

I was thinking the same thing, prolly could use a thin weather stripping around and be pretty snug.

Very nice Jon,:cheers: I will have to take you up on youre offer to use youre template.

How do you get the frame to stay flush to the window? Is there something in between the frame and the window to get a good seal? Or do the suction cups hold it tight enough by themselves.

Doubled up on some 1/4 inch foam weather stripping. There is one corner that I might add another layer as I can see a little light peaking through.

I bought the 2 sheets of plywood that had the most bow already in them to help form to the window curves. I could probably soak them in water with some tension on the corners to get it to fit the best...

Very classy. Nice work!

Very cool Jon! Reminds me that I need to make some asap. You bringing the 80 to URE this weekend? I need to check these out.

But we both still have the issue of storage. What are you using to keep them from getting busted up?

Not decided yet but I'm thinking about jerry rigging some bungee cords from the third row grab handles and storing them up there...or in one of my cargo drawers if there is room.

Those ones that Mot gets for the second row are super nice.

Those ones that Mot gets for the second row are super nice.

They are, and relatively cheap. But I really like what you did. I'm now thinking about making up some. I mean the design couldn't be more "uh-duh" if you tried. :D

I would imagine like Mot's, they are for setting up when parked/camping and sleeping, and removed for trail and hwy racing ;)

.......But we both still have the issue of storage. What are you using to keep them from getting busted up?

As light and bulky as the screens are, they would be perfect candidates for the roof rack. If you could find like a flat vinyl zipper case for protection and put them up top under the sleeping bags and such so the wind doesn't blow them off. For example, maybe a cheap suit bag might work. Just an idea, HTH! - Great camping idea, both of you!

Like it. Great idea. I'll take two. :hillbilly:

That's pretty slick!

If I had the skillz I would make them to sell. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom