Builds - Summer time Black FJ40 re-baselining (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yours looks 1000% nicer than my 1981 when I got it. Looks like a fun project.

If you can't get the parts from the previous owner, ask on the forums here, someone will help you out. They might even have nice used parts that they replaced with new.

The '73 I picked up later that week after helping Nick is both more and less complete. It has an SBC that's a single block of rust, and some minor body rust. Good patina though.
0xA7HdsF5uAVwTs37L-_7hahhUHVQh-lnQ1uuZk4geYZhTJCthZBUQPW_FnIFZLlTi9YEoEKiO2EfVT8se3rvDCdDcwODi7YyM53Xpia3yZawbxsZmQh2tpyOxxTVxvaIAxvfLZYY7G0H2SM5OI2vr9XrTu9WMfEq3nDpg49WsIonu3GJpP6ZoQtxA2o6GSSHoe03MMLWaisqXCp5x2Ivs7nlfe1PdiVzCFmJRV-ko57jqNhFBgyzR6_E83IW3TfcB4QLzFTnZksz4LBHOr7rp6nZDZtrvKfwK36VpR1U5GTEBD04cZZyyICDQI7j9I8RWGx4A3lJ6Dicec3u8fKHvizPG_nH2vJIs5hmDNPiBnuckZSggOuTtmFgRZMg_ZZtnBye8GJ-4jYJs-g1dXn_M5g_whMbEJMupfBD_GuHs54mJddyxywtxah6oYxkgSKLqTjgNvQ_yGzwRwz3FBomRKi0dNfCoE5KzjUsUhUE3IEq5VBCeTehu72S85dKrjJ-eSQqnE0bRnWCEiToCKJ6FwwCVGAvgOvE8wxzuE3CBxLwdyYhlzgktzlP8jWLwNraCRJFQPruqOXsEogih6ubpVypZ2rJ_MaXCh-zkzOLNRQsJHRHXIT-cAejAw-fR3Kk7rtyxb99aSMhxq212aGWn5_4Wcck-P6654pUtvLgCKZc9fX3OdnG-DNNVVr1u-mfIxhuzoNJzO7AODC9paMQVaHOw=w793-h1057-no

The '73 I picked up later that week after helping Nick is both more and less complete. It has an SBC that's a single block of rust, and some minor body rust. Good patina though.
0xA7HdsF5uAVwTs37L-_7hahhUHVQh-lnQ1uuZk4geYZhTJCthZBUQPW_FnIFZLlTi9YEoEKiO2EfVT8se3rvDCdDcwODi7YyM53Xpia3yZawbxsZmQh2tpyOxxTVxvaIAxvfLZYY7G0H2SM5OI2vr9XrTu9WMfEq3nDpg49WsIonu3GJpP6ZoQtxA2o6GSSHoe03MMLWaisqXCp5x2Ivs7nlfe1PdiVzCFmJRV-ko57jqNhFBgyzR6_E83IW3TfcB4QLzFTnZksz4LBHOr7rp6nZDZtrvKfwK36VpR1U5GTEBD04cZZyyICDQI7j9I8RWGx4A3lJ6Dicec3u8fKHvizPG_nH2vJIs5hmDNPiBnuckZSggOuTtmFgRZMg_ZZtnBye8GJ-4jYJs-g1dXn_M5g_whMbEJMupfBD_GuHs54mJddyxywtxah6oYxkgSKLqTjgNvQ_yGzwRwz3FBomRKi0dNfCoE5KzjUsUhUE3IEq5VBCeTehu72S85dKrjJ-eSQqnE0bRnWCEiToCKJ6FwwCVGAvgOvE8wxzuE3CBxLwdyYhlzgktzlP8jWLwNraCRJFQPruqOXsEogih6ubpVypZ2rJ_MaXCh-zkzOLNRQsJHRHXIT-cAejAw-fR3Kk7rtyxb99aSMhxq212aGWn5_4Wcck-P6654pUtvLgCKZc9fX3OdnG-DNNVVr1u-mfIxhuzoNJzO7AODC9paMQVaHOw=w793-h1057-no
Yours will help me understand what mine was supposed to look like. :)

Was there any options that that could have bolted on the front in this hole? PO filled a lot of holes in the body (emblem holes, rubber windshield pads, etc.) but not this one.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.03.52 PM.png

Yours will help me understand what mine was supposed to look like. :)

Was there any options that that could have bolted on the front in this hole? PO filled a lot of holes in the body (emblem holes, rubber windshield pads, etc.) but not this one.

View attachment 2794538
That looks drilled, unless your model year has some obscure option or thing that is rare, but I think that hole shouldn’t be there. It isn’t on mine.

Well.. all was looking good on the fluid changes. Diffs' gear oil was dirty but good consistency. Then I got to the TC and Tranny. quite a bit of ugliness was coming out of the TC fill hole (automatically assumed bad seal between the tranny/TC) and then opened up the drain plug and it looked like mud or melted chocolate.

Even worse, opened up the tranny drain plug and a whole bunch of water just drained out. Yikes. Bad seals while going through a deep river crossing? stalled?

I'm guessing I should rebuild them both?

I'd bet that it got sucked in from the breathers during a crossing. I'd at a minimum check for bad bearings or rust on the gears. Hopefully it didnt sit too long.

I'd bet that it got sucked in from the breathers during a crossing. I'd at a minimum check for bad bearings or rust on the gears. Hopefully it didnt sit too long.
Never worked on a manual, do they have breathers?

Not sure why FSM has you removing the gas tank to pull down the tranny/tc. I'm going to try not to remove the metal cover either, for now.

Not sure why FSM has you removing the gas tank to pull down the tranny/tc. I'm going to try not to remove the metal cover either, for now.
Are you looking at an FSM for a late 70's 40? They moved the tank from under the passenger seat to under the body, and Hunter from LCS told me it's in the way for everything.

I'm trying to keep the tank and the transmission cover on. Both were to be removed. Perhaps I'll end up removing the cover to get to the bolts holding in the clutch.

The FSM is from 1977 but covers both 3 speed and 4 speed, which I'm assuming all the years.

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.06.56 AM.png

31ABF343-3792-49F7-83AC-DB4DF5F58E83.jpeg
Well, looks like FSM was right about removing seats and transmission cover. Kept the tank in and found a way to wiggle the cover off.

Bought a transmission lift platform that you can attach to your Jack. Didn’t think about the height problem. Let’s say that it was a problem getting it from under the car.

D57D8088-6BAA-4BA7-88F9-50EEA5BC6B0F.jpeg

5BAFB0DB-8417-44A1-ACEB-B5DBD06850F0.jpeg
Time to open it up and assess the damage.

I'd pop the PTO cover on the t-case and top cover on the trans, personally. You should be able to see pretty much everything then.

No broken teeth but lots of ugliness inside, too much mud. Will need to clean up and assess again.

There aren't too many tranny rebuild kits out there. Anyone have any recommendations?

I've taken it apart now and plethora of rollers/needle bearings fell out so I'm hoping either I can buy new ones or none got chewed up in there and can be reinstalled

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 11.32.56 AM.png

Yikes. Mark @65swb45 may have some parts or advice.

I have a couple of rebuilt transmissions available…and a lot of replacement gears. First and second gear look shot. Don’t expect much more from the remainder.

I'd say all new bearings. If the needle or roller bearings fell out the races that held them in are shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom